Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2017, 19:30   #1

does this boat sounds good?

Hi

new to sailing and buying a 42' for circumnavigating. Does this specs bellow sound like a good boat for 65k usd?

What shoud I add into it considering my goal?

How should I negotiate, after the survey?

Boat specs attached
jferline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 20:15   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: does this boat sounds good?

No specs. Also for us to field your question(s), please include things like; your sailing experience/experience level, ditto your crew & their number, also their ages if it's a factor, your budget (initial, & monthly/yearly), sailing dreams & geals, need for life at the dock vs. anchored out, DIY skill levels, as maintenance eats $ espeically if it's hired out, etc. etc.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 20:56   #3

Hi sorry, thought it was attached. here goes again.

As per details:

we are beginners - sailed 3 times in small passages in Brazil
crew: my husband and I ( also looking after two kids : 1 and 4 y.o)
budget: 55k usd to buy and 10k to initial maintanence or new items
monthly budget - 2k usd
ambition: sail worldwide at anchor
no DIY maintanence skill yet but we will learn

I saw many itens it says what it has but i understand many other questions have to be made, can you help with some?
Attached Files
File Type: doc Milagro Yacht Updated Spec Sheet.doc (104.0 KB, 630 views)
jferline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 21:35   #4

Boat: Tartan 3000

Given you are sailing with 2 young children (circumnavigating) you should be absolutely sure the boat you select is suitable for where you intend to sail. Is this boat is suitable to cross the Pacific Ocean with 2 young children????

I don't know but I doubt it.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 22:06   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

A vast percentage of the cost of a voyaging boat is in her systems, & accessories. With it being quite common for their value to be greater that of the boat itself. Some of them are fairly mandatory/necessities, while others are luxuries. But since you're a bit thin when it comes to depth of knowledge, it'll be more difficult for you to determine which are which. As well as what condition some of the ones which come with the boat are in. And adding or replacing/upgrading these items has a HUGE impact on costs & budget. As do the amount, type, & quality of spares which come with the boat.

The boat in question lacks many sails, aside from the most basic ones. Without mentioning; spares, light air sails, or heavy weather sails. This along with all of the necessary accessories that go with sails; running rigging, shackles, blocks, repair kits, spares, a sewing machine...

She doesn't have much in the way of navigational electronics, like radar for example. Nor an autopilot, or windvane, which are critical. As hand steering 24/7 quickly wears out a crew, even if there are 5 people onboard to take turns at it.

I'm not sure what her ground tackle consists of, but for a cruising boat you generally want; 3 anchors, minimum. Each being of a different type, & also oversized for the boat. You want your primary rode to be mostly chain if possible, with a powered windlass on boats from the mid 30-foot range & up. Along with spare rodes, chain, & warps onboard.

There's also safety gear, & many other categories. Any of which can easily cost many thousands of dollars to add to a vessel, or upgrade what's already onboard.
And with regards to this, & every other category, knowledge is your best tool & weapon. Including for smart shopping. So some self-education wouldn't hurt. For
which there are loads of resources out there. CF for one, along with lots of books & periodicals. Online, & on paper. Many of which are free. Such as the excellent reference series by the Dashew's SetSail FPB » Free Books

Hopefully the above's helpful, & assists you in getting aimed in the proper direction to bring your dreams to life!

PS: There are a whole bunch of self-education resources in the below linked thread. Including many good self assessment questionaires that'll better enable you to focus your boat search, as well as to prioritize your learning from now until you cast off your lines.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-172247.html

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 05:24   #6

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

If you can buy the boat for 45k that would help to buy sails, electronics, anchors, etc. etc.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 07:24   #7

Agree with the $45K buy suggestion. At $65K asking if you add the needed sails inventory, updated rigging, electronics and systems you're looking at a $100K total and you still got almost 20 year old average quality production boat. And that's assuming no other hidden surprises. But I personally subscribe to the view that if one has to invest some $$ on a limited budget it is better to invest into an older but better quality product then to spend similar amounts for a newer so-so one. That of course would not work for someone who is buying the boat to be a "dock queen" at a local marina but is perfectly sound strategy for any offshore travel.

Think about it this way - given a constrained budget and having to go through a desert would you rather be in an old but restored 1960s Landcruiser (old school repairs accomplished with 2-3 sizes of wrenches) or in a modern fake SUV which is a souped up regular car platform full of things which do not last in any harsh environment (sure it has wi-fi capability and all the tech doodahs but what good are they in the middle of the desert?)?

Since about 1980s there are no mass production boats which were made to the offshore standards from the factory. All pretty much have to be beefed up (at considerable cost) one way or another before they can be taken RTW for any prolonged periods of time. I'm not talking about small batch builds but the mass produced ones of which Jeanneau is one. And that is especially true if the particular model run was initially built for the charter fleets even if the one for sale was always in non charter use.

So a 1999 very average quality mass production boat to be made offshore ready (if it wasn't made so by one of the POs) would probably require at least $50-70K in retrofits and upgrades. Unless you want to risk your and your family's lives going out "as is". Now of course, if the beefing up was done already and the boat has a proven offshore record then $65K would be a very fair price to pay, perhaps even a steal.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 08:09   #8

Boat: Beneteau

Since about 1980s there are no mass production boats which were made to the offshore standards from the factory. All pretty much have to be beefed up (at considerable cost) one way or another before they can be taken RTW for any prolonged periods of time. I'm not talking about small batch builds but the mass produced ones of which Jeanneau is one. And that is especially true if the particular model run was initially built for the charter fleets even if the one for sale was always in non charter use.

Wow. Didn't take long for the newbie to get hit with the BS.

Let's just tell them to go buy a cave because this would lead me to believe that the poster is an advocate for the outdated and equally as dark and dated crowd.

I like my piece of junk production boat for all the things purist don't like. First is the space and comfort...may I add that this applies at sea as well as the dock. Second is ease of handling with a furling main. And finally the price was good for me and allowed me to offer my family and environment we could tolerate over weeks of sailing.

But then I'm only sailing in northeastern Newfoundland ando not on some challenging milk run.

If the boat works for you buy it. DON'T leave immediately but leave to sail and trust the boat. You'll also know what you need and want for your ultimate trip.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 08:14   #9

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

After you buy a boat, expect that you will need to spend an additional 15-30% of the cost for other stuff that wasn't with the boat even if the boat was fully equipped.

If you are new to sailing, circumnavigating is not something that is very easy.

Almost no boat that you buy has all you need for that kind of thing---expect to have to have the full 30%(or more in your case). There is so much you will need. You will need to know how to fix your back up engine when it fails, and it will. You will need back-ups for everything. BTW, with all the stuff floating out in the ocean now, I would not buy a boat for circumnavigation that was not made of aluminum or steel. Pieces of wood that would bounce off a steel or aluminum boat will sink a fiberglass one.

nd then there is the training that you don't have that will take years get.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 08:29   #10

It is very difficult to answer queries such as yours sensibly on HolyMotherNet since the answer may rely on what is "read between the lines". What I read between the lines of your first two posts is that not only are you new to seafaring (as you say yourself), but the very desire to circumnavigate was conceived quite recently.

So don't rush in where angels fear to tread! Pay attention to what Uncivilized has told you, and do not be in a hurry. Hang out here for a while, read ALL the threads, and get a feeling for what the daily, niggling, sometimes costly trials of boat ownership are.

A 10 year old Jeannau 42s in cruising condition would list, generally, for somewhat over 100K. That the subject boat doesn't, means that there are deficiencies relative to other 10 year old Jeanneau 42s. Those deficiencies, whatever then may be, can be put right. At a cost. Expect therefore, if you buy for 65K, to spend ANOTHER 65K on "upgrades". But being inexperienced you are not likely to be able to tell which are IMPERATIVE, up-grades, which are necessary up-grades and which are "would-be-nice" up-grades. So stick around and learn.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 08:40   #11

This one has some gear.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/57655
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 09:06   #12

From what can be told from the sheets it looks pretty good for a modern style boat. The devil is in the details though. I missed the year but 500 engine hours seems pretty low, is it realistic? Was this boat ever in charter?
Bargain hard prior to survey. Once you get to your best price then survey. reduce price again if necessary on things not acceptable in survey. Furling mainsails can be handy but a lot of people have trouble with them and they reduce the boat sail power extensively. Stir that into the mix with your lack of experience and decide. The GPS is 1999- outdated. The plotter is newer though.
For not rounding the world but sailing the Carribean etc I think the Jeanneau would be fine. For rounding the world I would get a heavier boat with protected rudder and molded in keel. No everyone agrees though.
Big $ items to watch for:
-cored decks with water inside
-cored hulls, this can be a huge problem.
-Tanks, especially any under the floor.
-sails are expensive. One sail appears to be 2013 so that's good. I wouldn't worry about having a bunch of sails but you will want to add a small heavy headsail for high wind conditions.
-Watch for rudder issues. especially with a spade rudder boat like this. Many are full of water.
-Standing Rigging: How old is it? over 10-12 years should be replaced.
-Bolt on keel. Keel bolt condition etc is important. You may have to figure a few thousand $ to get this resealed and looked at. (some boats are built in keels not bolted on)
-Most things likes pumps, batteries etc fail after several years. Batteries probably 5 years other stuff maybe 8 years.
-Autopilot. I didn't notice one on the list. $3-5K for a good one.

Make a good list of everything you may want for rounding the globe. It adds up fast:
-Storm sail
-Autopilot
-Watermaker
-extra anchors
-life raft
-Epirb
-weather service, long range radio, or sat phone
-etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 09:31   #13

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

As a dad with a 6 and an 11 year old, can I suggest you do some chartering of boats in the 40 to 50 foot lengths, with a skipper, first, to get some experience and see how it all goes with the kids? Even though I have a good deal of experience, even sailing with kids, when it came to sailing with my own kids when they were younger, it was tough. I kept (and still now I keep) things simple, easy and well under control to keep kids happy and safe, and to keep my own peace of mind! I was just out the other day and for some reason both kids got sea sick, which is not common for them. I was glad I was only a couple miles from home. The complaining was driving me crazy!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 09:59   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

This age and style Jeanneau boats are very much like anything of their sort: getting longer in the teeth, showing issues here and there. Leaky stanchions, jamming hardware, older diesel engine, etc.

Given 65k I would look for a completely different boat.

Unless you have 65k for the boat and another 65k (or more, for mods and updates).

I would actually think twice if asked for a 42' boat at USD65k as a base for a circumnavigation. If you talk circumnavigation = of the globe.

Maybe such a beast does not exist.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 10:03   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Agree with the $45K buy suggestion.(...)
But a J42' at USD45k will be absolutely beaten up.

For a 45/65 ratio the boat you buy must be actually pretty clean and absolutely sound. Unlikely think with a 42' Jeanneau from 1999.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat