Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2015, 10:11   #46

Re: Does it really matter which damn sailboat you pick to go down the west coast?

weavis in #21 and redhead in #43 summarized it best.

You might also want to do some more research and homework, in addition to the time you said you've spent looking at boats, since it appears you may need to read some more on the desirable characteristics of boats.

You could also find some blogs and reports of people who have done just that trip.

Like this one, and you can read their blog from the links.

1500 Mile Interim Refit Report & 3596 Update

Happy hunting.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:19   #47

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Does it really matter which damn sailboat you pick to go down the west coast?

I don't think anyone has mentioned what happens to most of the money you put into an old boat. It goes away. Buy a 10k boat, put 10k into it, and what do you have when it comes time to sell? A 10k boat, or something very close to that.
coolboat30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:34   #48

Boat: Cape Dory 33

No response from the OP....
Old 09-11-2015, 10:46   #49

I sympathize with the OP. He had a dream of buying a sailboat and sailing off to exotic lands.

The only problem is he doesn't have the knowledge or money to do this.

Imagine the same post but different question:

Does it really matter what damn car I buy for a non-stop trip from Maine to Alaska in winter? I can't afford more than $500. I don't want an automatic transmission. If I get tired in a snowstorm, is it safe to just pull off the road to sleep? If I get stuck, should I have chains? I've never owned a car, driven a car, or worked on a car. I'm really frustrated that finding a great cheap car is so hard.

CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:51   #50
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
No response from the OP....
According to his profile page, he hasn't been online here since he started this thread.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:52   #51

In 50 years of sailing, I don't think I've ever said or even heard "damn boat" applied to a sailboat. Maybe the guy at the helm but not the boat.

Seems like really bad karma.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:53   #52

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
When I read the title to the thread, I was going to write something along the lines of "it doesn't matter as long as you get a boat with a halfway decent reputation for bluewater..." but that's when I thought you had a realistic budget for ocean sailing/cruising. You've got a hitch-hiker's budget and I'd seriously take a look at crewing rather than investing what you've got in a boat OR I'd sit down with someone who really, really knows a particular boat (I used to own a Rawson 30-had about $7K in it and it would have been world-cruise ready at $10K...and that's what the guy we sold her to had in her total when he took off cruising) and who really, really knows how to pinch a penny and ask that person to help me get into something. You can blow through $10K and not have a boat ready to leave the harbor. So--yeah--when you're looking for "magic" to happen, you've got to be particular.

Still suggest, from your post, that you consider car camping, motorcycles, beach bumming, or crewing rather than getting your own boat. But--if you do follow through with it, don't let folks intimidate you with their talk of sailing the PNW. You'll pick up what you need to know, watch the weather, figure out how you handle yourself in your vessel and it will all work out. The cruising grounds along the west coast of Vancouver Island are spectacular--you could spend an awful lot of time sailing the PNW before ever heading anywhere south, btw.

This is a great post...especially the last sentence. Give some serious consideration to this philosophy.
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:01   #53

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

May be someone just yanking out chains?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:13   #54

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by George P View Post
Keep reading and learning and asking questions, then buy your first boat without the big plans, keep it simple and stay close to home. Learn the only way possible, by experience. Give yourself a chance to learn about sailboats and sailing. You'll soon be able to answer all your own questions. But above all don't give up. Your perceptions of what you dream of and the reality of it will come together 'over time' and perhaps differently. However, the rewards will be awesome if you keep on learning and dreaming.
Another great post!
This is good solid advice.
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:37   #55

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

"Still suggest, from your post, that you consider car camping, motorcycles, beach bumming, or crewing rather than getting your own boat. But--if you do follow through with it, don't let folks intimidate you with their talk of sailing the PNW. You'll pick up what you need to know, watch the weather, figure out how you handle yourself in your vessel and it will all work out. The cruising grounds along the west coast of Vancouver Island are spectacular--you could spend an awful lot of time sailing the PNW before ever heading anywhere south, btw"

I think he's got the right idea.
I spent a number of summers traveling on a motorcycle when I was younger and had no responsibilities and found that to pretty darn cheap, as long as you don't stay in hotels and need to bathe on a regular basis. Camping and cooking your own saves a lot. Did get to see all of North America several times and part of Mexico too, although I don't know if I'd do Mexico on a motorcycle now, it's gotten a little dicier these days. A really cheap way to go. One trip lasted two months, went 15,000 miles and cost me $2,000.00, but I camped for free whenever I could and never used hotels. Mostly gas, tires, oil and food. Sometimes a cheap six pack.
Boats? Not so cheap.
As was said before in an earlier post, the East Coast might be better for coastal hopping and might even be possible in a $10,000.00 boat, as long as you pay really good attention to the weather. Did I mention pay really good attention to the weather? The last time I was able to find a $10,000.00 boat seaworthy enough to go to sea off the northern New England coast in dicey weather was about 25-30 years ago, but I can also do all my own work, up to dropping keels, replacing hull sections, wiring, motor rebuilds, etc, etc. Most of my past boats were insurance, bank auction or yard auction boats, hence the $10,000.00 boat.
I also think the further from shore I get the safer I am, inshore or coastal sailing is much more challenging from a hazard/ navigational standpoint, that's where all the lee shores and rocks are, not to mention commercial traffic, commercial fisihing etc, etc. But you can pretty much be on the anchor in a protected harbor most nights, as long as your not in a hurry to get somewhere.
If you decide to do the PNW, just be aware and don't get too cocky, prudence keeps people around longer to enjoy life.
Hmmmm....thought of buying an auction boat? Beware, there are pitfalls there too, but if you do your homework you just might get something decent. During the recession there were some good deals, now the prices seem to be rising, but not that fast. It takes a lot of looking and checking.
My current boat is the first I've owned that wasn't an auction/insurance boat, it took me three years to find, between the wife's list and my list it was not an easy spec to fulfill. You never know when the right one will pop up.
Keep at it, if you really, really want to you'll find a way.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:51   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
You should ask experienced kayakers how difficult this option might be. You also can't leave the boat unless it's really close to shore because you probably wouldn't be carrying enough chain or large anchor.

People sail off in all sorts of vessels all the time. Most make it, some get rescued, a few die every year. You should choose the boat based on your understanding of the risks involved, your experience level, and the conditions you're likely to encounter. It is a hard decision so keep looking and asking questions about the boats. Right now, you're letting money (or lack of) dictate the answers for you.

i find this forum has some elites people and does not really offer advise. since wind has been harnessed for sailing all types of vessels have traveled the world. i say go for it you will learn by experience and have a great time doing so just ask for advise when you need it some a million dollar sailboat will sink just the same as a 10.000 dollar boat and they both float. choose the boat you want and go for it. there are many individuals couple who have spent many years on water in cheap sail boats you go for it your budget is just fine
bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:59   #57
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon View Post
i find this forum has some elites people and does not really offer advise. since wind has been harnessed for sailing all types of vessels have traveled the world. i say go for it you will learn by experience and have a great time doing so just ask for advise when you need it some a million dollar sailboat will sink just the same as a 10.000 dollar boat and they both float. choose the boat you want and go for it. there are many individuals couple who have spent many years on water in cheap sail boats you go for it your budget is just fine
Oh brother- you sound about as experienced as the OP.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:59   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
According to his profile page, he hasn't been online here since he started this thread.
No wonder with the types of elitist comments on this site from some individuals. The forum seems to turn people away from sailing or even asking questions. following this site for a week you learn very quickly that there are not to many individuals who actually sail regularly or live aboard their sailboats.
bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 13:03   #59
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon View Post
No wonder with the types of elitist comments on this site from some individuals. The forum seems to turn people away from sailing or even asking questions. following this site for a week you learn very quickly that there are not to many individuals who actually sail regularly or live aboard their sailboats.
The OP has recieved some very sound advice in this thread. Not from you of course, but from others who have experience doing exactly what the OP intends. Your sole contribution is to denigrate those who gave the advice. Oh yeah, and to tell the OP that sailing the North Pacific is no problem for somebody who has never sailed before.
Old 09-11-2015, 13:24   #60

Dear OP,

I'm not clear, based on your post, whether your primary goal is to travel south or to learn to sail. If your primary goal is to travel south, then skip the sailboat--it'll just add lots of stress and expense to your trip. If, however, your primary goal is to become a sailing couple, then definitely buy whatever boat you can afford now.

But, for now, you should throw away any schedule about when you want to leave for a very long trip. As you sail locally and develop your sailing skills, you'll gradually get a better sense of what skills you have, what skills you need to further develop, along with the limitations and advantages of the boat you have purchased. I suspect that you already have the good sense to start cautiously, then gradually push yourself to new challenges with weather conditions and distances.

The PNW is a good area to train yourself. You can start in easy summer conditions in the inside passages. When you and your boat are ready, you can head around Vancouver Island, staying coastal. Then go around again, this time going well offshore, doing a two or three-night non-stop passage to see how you like it.

If traveling south is your goal, go ahead by land, maybe including a few passages on other people's boats. Hang out in ports where long-distance cruisers are (like San Diego in autumn), and you'll probably be able to crew for a few days or weeks with someone heading south.

If sailing is your goal, start sailing. Drop the schedule. Enjoy the learning curve.

Good luck to you both.
richard_wb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat, west coast