Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2010, 15:14   #1

Does Anyone Have Any Idea / Experience with Shipman Yachts ?

Guess the title says it all? What do you think of Shipman yachts as short handed round the world cruisers?
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 00:32   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: orion 50
Send a message via Skype™ to andreavanduyn
i know where they are produced and more specifically how; see the 'stranding' and details if you can find of one 2 year 'old' one in Europe for details.....
andreavanduyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 04:42   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Basically any boat properly rigged and set up can be sailed shorthanded. Primarily a matter of the proper winches and application of power.

The biggest problem I found handling a larger boat shorthanded was bending the large sails. Once the sails are on the rig then reefing, roller furling systems, etc. can deal with them. The problem I found was getting the sail out of the sail locker and onto the mast or stay.

Largest boat I owned was a 65' Ketch. Two, strong, young men could almost lift the main sail. I used a halyard and winch to lift it out the locker and onto the deck. Two of us to drag/carry it to the mast but took three to get it up to the mast and boom and attach the slides.

Once it was up I could reef it by myself with one person or AP at the helm. Roller furling jib could also be a one man operation.

I have to say, if you can afford one of these I imagine they would set it up any way you like.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 06:19   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: orion 50
Send a message via Skype™ to andreavanduyn
you mean the carbon made in Slovenia? they also made some polyester

We built next to them with Dutch management and techniques; whole different world.
andreavanduyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 14:22   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
As far as I could see the Shipman 80 -about a year old - in Las Palmas marina and going on the ARC has about the same chance as my Beneteau getting across the Atlantic.

As to shorthanded, well, there was nothing on the foredeck except for beach towel space and all the push buttons made things happen automatically (on the Shipman this is, not the Bene 393) So I think you could cruising easily with a Husband and Wife team.

Oh, you may also need an Engineer.

and a Chief Engineer

An Electrical Engineer and offsider

Mechanical engineer and staff

Ancillary assistants to all Heads of Department and sundry Gofers, Polishers and Lickers de Bottie.

But, as I said, only 2 to sail it.

I think you should buy one. Or a Beneteau.

Mark
PS Looks like it was T-boned at the waterline amidships and there is one rough patchup job LOL Must have done it in the water and waiting to haul to buff it.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 01:14   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Hey Mark , when Are you leaving the Canaries, ?

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 03:34   #7

Mark, once again you made me laugh! But in that situation, I'm going to need the 150 foot one, since I'm going to need extra crew accomodation!
Old 15-11-2010, 06:26   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MehmetCan View Post
I'm going to need the 150 foot one, since I'm going to need extra crew accomodation!
Salesmen call the "up-selling".

All the best

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 07:38   #9

Location: Paradise (better known to most people as: Philippines)
Boat: 65' Custom Steel Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Largest boat I owned was a 65' Ketch. Two, strong, young men could almost lift the main sail. I used a halyard and winch to lift it out the locker and onto the deck. Two of us to drag/carry it to the mast but took three to get it up to the mast and boom and attach the slides.
Hehe, reminds me of when I was deploying my spinnaker on two poles. It wasn't a lack of strength issue, it was a lack of weight issue as a 20knots gust was enough to pick me about five feet up off the deck before I came up on my harness (which I'd smartly fastened to the deck!) and was able to wrestle it back down. That was funny. One of the real "what the hell just happened?!" moments in my life.

Really gotta figure out how to use a sock
NotQuiteLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 07:44   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuiteLost View Post
Hehe, reminds me of when I was deploying my spinnaker on two poles. It wasn't a lack of strength issue, it was a lack of weight issue as a 20knots gust was enough to pick me about five feet up off the deck before I came up on my harness (which I'd smartly fastened to the deck!) and was able to wrestle it back down. That was funny. One of the real "what the hell just happened?!" moments in my life.

Now that sounds like an exciting boat moment. Guess you had a death grip on the pole until you got your feet back on the deck.

Don't have a spinnaker but do have a drifter with a sock that I'm getting acquainted with. Haven't had to sock it in high winds yet. Hopefully it will be a tranquil, non-airborne process.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 15:22   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuiteLost View Post

At this point I must share the moment when I got catapulted from a 10 foot laser dinghy with a sudden gust, and I'm 200 pounds! Which I guess is more than enough to tell the size really does not matter when it comes to proper gusts...
Old 04-08-2011, 12:06   #12

A lot of working experience .... I certanly Could also find a better s/y ... But
That is what you get for this money
DonBregari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 09:49   #13

Re: Does Anyone Have Any Idea / Experience with Shipman Yachts ?

Big boats and big boat systems are easy enough for two to handle on a nice day sail or coastal cruise. But when there is trouble, things can get dicey and fast. Would never cross an ocean without four people unless it was a purpose built racer and I was still 35 yrs old. Fatigue is the biggest problem. As for the Shipman 80, I will be ordering soon.

PS..Haven't found any bad press concerning Shipman
Iko Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 04:40   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Iko Ward.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:20   #15

I first came across a Shipman 72, Moskva, in Lanzarotte a couple of years ago, having just arrived aboard a Challenge 67 sail training vessel. I'd never heard of Shipman but I loved the lines. A bit of research and I quickly set the 59 up as my benchmark, although I think they have only built one. I've had a little difficulty communicating with Shipman in Slovenia via e-mail, they don't appear to be pushy in their salesmanship, but usually I get a reply when I follow up. That's less of an immediate problem for me than sorting finance! Others I've spoken to generally have a high opinion of their carbon sailing yachts, but sadly all my experience is indirect. I look forward to hearing what others have to say.
BacktoSea is offline   Reply With Quote