Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2013, 17:32   #1

Does a sea anchor reduce rollovers?

Has anyone researched this area?
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 17:41   #2

Re: Does a sea anchor reduce rollovers?

Adlard Coles did. And compared to lying a hull, as example, it does if used properly.

Adlard Coles' Heavy Weather Sailing, Sixth Edition: Peter Bruce: 9780071592901: Amazon.com: Books
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 18:09   #3

Boat: Bristol 32
Hi, I have some experience in the concept. Alard Coles is indeed a great book. Bernard Montissie ( spelling?) " the long way" is in my opinion a great book for heavy weather. I have dragged warps numerous times and simply run before the seas other times. I had a storm jib 35 sq ft for a 36' wood yawl which gives you am idea of what I got used to, if one does! A sea anchor is more a concept for bow to wind I believe. I gave up on the conceot as it takes alot of space and I figure if its that bad I want to go with it, find sea room and if needed cause the waves to break behind me. Not just talking- I spent time doing this.
marinaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 18:12   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinaman View Post
Hi, I have some experience in the concept. Alard Coles is indeed a great book. Bernard Montissie ( spelling?) " the long way" is in my opinion a great book for heavy weather. I have dragged warps numerous times and simply run before the seas other times. I had a storm jib 35 sq ft for a 36' wood yawl which gives you am idea of what I got used to, if one does! A sea anchor is more a concept for bow to wind I believe. I gave up on the conceot as it takes alot of space and I figure if its that bad I want to go with it, find sea room and if needed cause the waves to break behind me. Not just talking- I spent time doing this.
Thanks - you're right about the bow to wind. Please let me clarify my question- does a sea anchor at Mr. Pardey's 50 degree angle ( line from midship cleat) reduce tendency for rollover?
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 18:20   #5

Boat: PETERSON 44
Way to wide a variable. Yes it may be the solution for you.
Deploying a sea anchor in the condition needed is a extreme. Your boat is now face on to the energy and your rudder is minimized.
Unless you are willing to sail and use the anchor like the pardeys its a bitch situation . You have limited control. The energy is full on the cleats and the boat is falling aft end off waves.
The jordan series drogue will give you a better ride. If you can deal with going tail on. Sail for as long as you can.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 18:24   #6

Yes the concept makes sense. I have used a rolling hitch on an anchor rode to a midship block to control the angle the bow is from the wind. This was especially useful anchored with a 6 ' swell rolling around the point while we laid to the wind direction. Same idea at sea. I still go by the concept that it is best to go with it- at some angle which ever gives you sea room. Well I ended up in Madiera instead of Gibralter but at least got there.
Old 20-09-2013, 18:27   #7

Yes other comment was right on- let Mother Nature carry you. Bigger forces at play to reSist.
Old 20-09-2013, 18:38   #8

Sabray, yes especially for the boat I am thinking you own. 44 aft cabin center cockpit. I am familiar a bit with a series made by a bunch of cruisers. They built 12 in Asia. Most others built in Canada.
Old 20-09-2013, 18:48   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Well.

If the sea anchor keeps the bow more into the waves than the boat would sit otherwise then the answer should be yes.

A boat gets rolled over most of the time by large beam-on breaking seas.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 19:02   #10

Boat: PETERSON 44
My experience. I want some control over that energy. Unless your super experienced and can sail against a sea anchor and balance all the forces. A drogue gives you the best bight and conbination. Could be in a 6 foot swell you toss off the anchor. Heaving to would most likely work fine. I was thinking shortening wave frequency prolonged high winds. Any have done well by sea anchors. I did well by running off. Ready to chuck the drogue if the seas got steeper.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 15:29   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 265, 26.5 ft

One of my favorite reads addresses sea anchors. Thanks Andrew !

http://www.sfbaysss.org/tipsbook/Sin...irdEdition.pdf
hard-a-ground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 19:31   #12

Boat: Beneteau 50

What about the benefits from a drogue (sea anchor) of disturbing the upper water, such that the seas don't break? The Pardey's wrote about it in Storm Tactics.

I'd think that would be a big factor in preventing roll-overs.

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 19:46   #13
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bene505 View Post
What about the benefits from a drogue (sea anchor) of disturbing the upper water, such that the seas don't break? The Pardey's wrote about it in Storm Tactics.

I'd think that would be a big factor in preventing roll-overs.

Regards,
Brad

Yeah, I read that too, and I even have a sea anchor. I have drogues, and I wouldn't be afraid to use them in a pinch, but a sea anchor -- if it didn't work right it could make a right mess of things. I just think they have this huge body of knowledge and experience that I don't have, including using a sea anchor. I think sometimes sailors don't realize how much background knowledge they're putting into play, and even if they did, telling you about it can only go so far.

I'm wondering if they weren't thinking once, "We do this, or we die ..." and they got lucky, did it right and then knew how to do it. I found their book fascinating but I didn't have confidence that I could do it myself.

Do you know of these things have ever been tested in miniature in a wave pool or anything?
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 20:02   #14

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I prefer to run with a storm jib, if available, and I like to trail heavey warps, and have even used a oil bag a time or two, If it will sail, then sail it has always worked for us !
Old 22-09-2013, 20:12   #15
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
I prefer to run with a storm jib, if available, and I like to trail heavey warps, and have even used a oil bag a time or two, If it will sail, then sail it has always worked for us !
What do you mean by "oil bag?"
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote