Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2019, 19:26   #91

Re: Docking monohull sideways advice wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmon View Post
Sorry, I don’t have the patience to read 6 pages of replies - so please forgive me if this has already been said. I use a technique which a dock master once upon a time called the “Captain Ron technique”. If you have seen the movie Captain Ron, you will know what I am talked by about. Of course in the movie he did it at speed, and we take to heart the advice given earlier - to not approach a fixed object (dock) faster than you are prepared to hit it. That said, we approach a dock in our 38’ wing keel mono hull at 1 knot at a 45 to 60 degree angle, aiming bow at dock. When about 4 to 5’ off we turn wheel sharply to starboard, causing the boat to begin sliding sideways toward the dock. When almost parallel to the dock shift to reverse & goose the engine. This stops forward movement so you don’t hit the boat ahead & the prop walk in reverse moves the stern up against the dock. Attach dock lines & open a beer. Definitely want to practice on open dock before attempting in close quarters - but it really works.

LOL...I love that movie
usdivers61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 12:16   #92

Get a grappling hook and tie to long line. Nose in. Throw the grapple over the pontoon and tie off on stern cleat. Go off bow and tie up. Pull the stern in from the grappling line.
Sandydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 12:54   #93

Boat: Beneteau 323

Dockhead and Sailmon's approach is similar to mine. There is no compelling reason to do it at great speed. The key is that you approach at a fairly steep angle (depending on the wind and your boat's handling characteristics), turn the wheel to starboard while giving it enough reverse to stop forward motion. I do this almost every day and prefer singlehanded to having anyone else to get in the way. The only line you need to pick up is a stern line, which I keep on a whip, but which you could get with a boat hook from the dock. The moment you have the stern line aboard, drop it on a cleat and your troubles are over. At that point either the bow will be snug to the dock, or if it isn't, simply a slight forward throttle will bring it in close and you can easily secure the bow. Several posters suggested methods dependent on a bow line. I don't like those methods when singlehanded because the bow is a long way from the wheel, and if unpredicted problems arise you are unable to recover. With my method you can always adjust. Again. once you have one line on a stern cleat your problems are over.
tweitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 18:11   #94

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
Two words....

"Bow thruster"

Thank you.
Another opinion. ….
Prop walk. If you've ever watched the movie, "Captain Ron", you've watched an example of prop walk. It really works. Put the bow where you need it and walk the stern in.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 22:20   #95

Boat: C&C 36

Hi. In general coming in going astern will give you the best manoeverability and help you to pull the bow into the dock - and because you are at the stern you can hop off and make fast at the stern first before pulling the bow in with a mooring line lopped over the lifelines to be hooked with your boathook as other comments have suggested. The other comments about stemming the flood or ebb of a river if applicable are gold as well. It is also possible once you have made fast astern to turn the wheel to starboard and motor against the stern line but normally if you're nimble you can hook the bow line quickly enough. I've also seen people use an extra long bow line that leads to the stern so they always have a bow line "connection" when you step ashore. Practice makes it easier.
Cheers
BrotherT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 13:49   #96

Boat: Sabre 36, Pearson 34. Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23iL23 View Post
As the previous poster (El Pinguino) suggested, warping it back is not a bad choice. Don't be shy about docking to the boat upwind/upsteam and then roping or warping it back into the berth.

I've done that many times on my previous 40 footer with no thrusters. Sometimes it's the smart thing to do.
I have warped both in and out in situations like this. Come into dock on an angle going forward, get a line on a cleat with enough scope that you won’t come up to the boat in front of you and power forward turning the bow away from the dock and your stern will walk into the dock. Set your stern line and springs and have a congratulatory cocktail. Sometimes referred to as “springing” in or out.

Try without any boats around and you be surprised.
Normanskier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, Docking, hull, monohull, wanted