Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2019, 14:12   #31

Re: Docking monohull sideways advice wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
All great advice, but one other tool not mentioned, the anchor. If current and wind are overwhelming go find some space and throw it out. Any port in a storm.

One good thing about this berth, is it is not too exposed to weather, because of where it is in the river, and also the current is not too severe. The marina has been great telling me which tides are best for coming and going.
usdivers61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 14:22   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
USDiver61:

You have PLENTY of room! My home slip is a LOT tighter than that, and I single-hand in and out all the time. In fact, I don't WANT help, since the well meaning usually would only cause me problems.

You haven't told us what boat you have. How you handle this depends to a VERY great extent on you particular boat, and secondarily, on YOUR level of experience and CONFIDENCE. Confidence will begin to rise as you begin the understand the basic principles, so tell us something more about your boat and about yourself.

TrentePieds

Thanks TrentePieds, i have been sailing all my life, attached is the picture of my current girl, she is a SS Defiance 30. She is my 5th boat. That picture is her sitting in her current berth. I must admit, over a 40 year career, I never have had to berth a boat sideways into a tight slip. I have either had the boat moored on a ball, or I have had a nose end berth like I do now, which I have never ever had a problem docking single handed. I know there are trolls out there giving me crap about this, but I thought that is what forums are for, to get advice from those that have been there done that for a particular situation. Which I so appreciate from everyone.

Rant over...haha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4737.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	197380  
Old 06-08-2019, 14:22   #33

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Old 06-08-2019, 14:24   #34

You really don't need the bow spring. Just hard to stbd,1 sec shot of fwd then neutral then shot of rev. Repeat until stern is clear. Then center rudder & back out using short shots of rev. & neutral so that prop walk won't happen. Never leave it in rev. untill you are up to enough rev. speed that the rudder is useful.
Old 06-08-2019, 14:44   #35

Boat: Rawson 30PH

Suggest you use a large, round fender in the bow to fill in the angle and prevent the stern from kicking out or the bow from getting scraped
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0782E8FF-458E-451C-8557-3F373AA0518B.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	197383  
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 14:46   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Puget View Post
Suggest you use a large, round fender in the bow to fill in the angle and prevent the stern from kicking out or the bow from getting scraped

Thanks for the confirmation. That is exactly what I was going to do.
Old 06-08-2019, 14:47   #37

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

What you did not want to do is how I did it--with a trimaran no less. Backing up solves a HEAP of problems, and once one has a stern line ashore and secured, the tide or the current can be used to swing the bow into the mooring, or mostly in. Rig fenders first.

NEVER back in downstream--always up current. The wind is usually less of a problem than the current. After a while one gets quite good at tossing a line over a bollard from the stern, then jumpoing ashore with a previously rigged kine to the bow and walking up the wharf or marina floating pier.

Once your vessel is not going anywhere and can not foul another vessel, you can go back aboard and walk to the bow to bring your bow line ashore, if you had not previously rigged one and done so already. Then all you need are your springers (long ropes crossed to stop vessel moving forwards or aft, long to allow for tidal fall) and then you can set your tension weights or whatever else you use to hold your bow and stern in to the dock. If it is a floating berth, your problems are greatly lessened. Simple bow and stern lines and two crossed springers.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 14:49   #38

Nothing to do with your docking situation but a useful video if you break down. / Len

Old 06-08-2019, 16:53   #39

Plan #1 will not work

Plan #2 will with practice on a clear dock.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 18:21   #40

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usdivers61 View Post
Thanks for the comment, but some of us don't have friends in the area, so I am by myself. I am a FIFO paramedic, 2 on 2 off, so when I get back I am out exploring the coast. Also I am new to Brisbane, and don't really know anyone. So "dude", some of us have no choice. First choice of course is someone helping with lines, but that is a luxury I don't have.
Yes, definitely a needlessly rude reply.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 20:41   #41

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Thanks for the comment, but some of us don't have friends in the area, so I am by myself. I am a FIFO paramedic, 2 on 2 off, so when I get back I am out exploring the coast. Also I am new to Brisbane, and don't really know anyone. So "dude", some of us have no choice. First choice of course is someone helping with lines, but that is a luxury I don't have.
You don't have a choice not to dock your boat single handed in one specific slip? There are no other slips? Do you have craigslist? Classifieds in a newspaper? A bar where you can meet other people? Come on dude. Stop trying to take short cuts and do what is necessary to safely operate your boat.
Old 08-08-2019, 21:12   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
You don't have a choice not to dock your boat single handed in one specific slip? There are no other slips? Do you have craigslist? Classifieds in a newspaper? A bar where you can meet other people? Come on dude. Stop trying to take short cuts and do what is necessary to safely operate your boat.
Thanks, that was really helpful.
Old 08-08-2019, 23:23   #43

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Remind me to try Craigslist next time I'm coming in to a mooring single-handed...
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 23:37   #44

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Unbusted67 is right, dude.

Don’t care what your “situation” is, do not put other vessels or people at risk.

Get a hand, with a DIFFERENT attitude it is possible and learn safety.

Practice, get advice, make mistakes......on your dime.

If you can’t figure out how to do that drop the whole idea.
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 00:35   #45

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Remind me to try Craigslist next time I'm coming in to a mooring single-handed...
No.... pop down the pub and pour a few pots into a total stranger... then ask them to come back to your boat to lend a hand..... what can possibly go wrong...

Its not rocket science.... struth... I taught myself shiphandling singlehanded on a long keeled 25 footer.... didn't bust anything... just pick your days....

Tags
dock, Docking, hull, monohull, wanted