Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2019, 08:47   #16

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Re: Docking monohull sideways advice wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by usdivers61 View Post
Thanks guys! that is some really great advice. I have about 2 weeks to practice before moving. One thing is for sure, I will have to invest in 2 large fenders to hang from the stern to protect the aft boat, as I have to tie up starboard.
The answer is that you shouldn't be single handing this approach. Good seamanship is about planning and doing what needs to be done in order to execute maneuvers safely. If there's more than a 50% chance of you smashing into another boat while you practice this maneuver (which I'd say there is if you are inexperienced enough to have to ask this question.) Then don't do it. Go sailing with somebody dude.

Sorry to be a troll but seriously man.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:50   #17

What about doing it the "conventional" way?
Bow in, with little or no momentum, use dock-it to secure bow line to forward cleat on the dock (with dock-it you can do it reliably from quite a distance), trim bow line on bow cleat, walk back to the cockpit and reverse against bow line. You can have a couple of fenders on the dock or on the bow to help and give you some piece of mind.
This is explained well (minus the dock-it, but there is a great video on youtube for that) in the book recommended in some other post.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:01   #18

Boat: Catalina 30

If you search 'Using Spring Lines to Dock Sideways' you will get several hits, like this one from BoatUS: https://www.boatus.com/magazine/2017...ring-lines.asp

It speaks to leaving a tight slip, but do it in reverse to come in.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:14   #19

Boat: KP 46

The dock looks like wood with a rubber or wood strip along the top. In light wind go bow in a good bit left of center till you lightly touch the dock, leave her in fwd and let her idle or a wee bit of power to hold her there. Perpindicular to the dock, bow touching the dock. Adjust the helm so she balences there. Walk fwd and take a spring from the bow to a dock cleat about amidships, get back aboard and drop a couple of fenders off the stb bow and amidships. Go back to the helm and give her a bit of port helm, slowly she will come in. I used to teach this at international sailung school years ago to people who wanted to single hand. As long as the wind is not blowing onto the dock it works fine. If the wid is blowing onto the dock, just pull alongside and let the wind help you in.

Practice makes perfect.
M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:22   #20

Boat: C&C 37

If possible can you rig-2 poles to the dock to hang your bow and stern lines - and/or spring lines over so they are an easy reach from on-deck? (and handy when leaving). Also - ALWAYS rig a "Breast Line" midships from a cleat or toerail, long enough so that if you have to jump onto the dock from the cockpit, you can have it in hand and can pull the boat in / control it. Propwalk is you friend in these situations,- practice how to use it starting away from the dock- with rudder angled and straight. Then see what it does when you are all tied up - see how the boat reacts. That will give you valuable experience. To dock, Drive in the bow slowly, relatively wide angle, grab a line, then fwd or reverse very low throttle so propwalk pulls boat into dock.
RobertoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:25   #21

I'm not an expert on these things, but look for information on "the ferry glide" used in exactly these situations. Using the combination of wind/current and the boat's engine you can "walk" the boat sideways. Not something to be done without practice and a good knowledge of the boat's particular maneuvering characteristics.
rha9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:21   #22

USDiver61:

You have PLENTY of room! My home slip is a LOT tighter than that, and I single-hand in and out all the time. In fact, I don't WANT help, since the well meaning usually would only cause me problems.

You haven't told us what boat you have. How you handle this depends to a VERY great extent on you particular boat, and secondarily, on YOUR level of experience and CONFIDENCE. Confidence will begin to rise as you begin the understand the basic principles, so tell us something more about your boat and about yourself.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:23   #23

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
Two words....

"Bow thruster"

Thank you.
Two words: "Spring Line"
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:26   #24

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
The answer is that you shouldn't be single handing this approach. Good seamanship is about planning and doing what needs to be done in order to execute maneuvers safely. If there's more than a 50% chance of you smashing into another boat while you practice this maneuver (which I'd say there is if you are inexperienced enough to have to ask this question.) Then don't do it. Go sailing with somebody dude.

When you are initially learning how to dock in this spot then yes have a hand or two aboard/on dock. But, given that this is a regularly used slip where spring lines can be pre-rigged etc this is absolutely single hand'able once familiar and set-up.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:31   #25

Boat: Ocean Alexander Mk1 extended 55'

Post # 3 really nailed it if you are in fact docking with current flowing like in a river. I would only add that keeping the bow quickly under control is essential after you get the first line on to hold you from drifting back. Letting the current catch the bow and start it moving rapidly away from the dock can get exciting.
Using the current to ease in with the rudder and keeping your position relative to the dock by bumping the engine in and out of gear takes a bit of practice. Current is your friend once you learn how to use it
Having someone on the dock to talk you in the first couple of times will help you establish where your boat is relative to the other boats. And perhaps a visual aid on the dock that you can line up with from the helm position to let you know exactly where you are in your allotted space
dw1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:16   #26

Diverse great advise provided above, but then there is the old tried and true, Captain Ron style of docking a monohull sideways, becomes simple with a bit of practice. Works like a charm and impresses the hell out of everyone in the marina.

Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 13:07   #27

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

I recommend a little book, "Dockmanship" by David Allen Bell, available at Abebooks.com. Under $4.00, free shipping. And I recommend lots of practice, near the dock and far from the dock. As mentioned above, make propwalk work for you.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 13:16   #28

Ok was thinking about this a bit more - if the current is strong, then keeping the bow pointed into it as slow speed is going to be a nightmare. The bow will quickly fall off and then you're stuffed. You're using the engine to push from behind.

I used to bring a boat into a river berth years ago and I found that bringing the stern into the current and letting the bow go downstream worked great. Use the engine to hold position against the flow, then small rudder adjustments will let you "crab" into the berth. It's almost like a shuttlecock instead of being like trying to balance a broomstick on your hand (if you know what I mean)
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 14:02   #29

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

All great advice, but one other tool not mentioned, the anchor. If current and wind are overwhelming go find some space and throw it out. Any port in a storm.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 14:10   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post

Thanks for the comment, but some of us don't have friends in the area, so I am by myself. I am a FIFO paramedic, 2 on 2 off, so when I get back I am out exploring the coast. Also I am new to Brisbane, and don't really know anyone. So "dude", some of us have no choice. First choice of course is someone helping with lines, but that is a luxury I don't have.
usdivers61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, Docking, hull, monohull, wanted