Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2016, 13:22   #1

Docking

Anyone use one of those "hook and Moor" poles?
billgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 13:23   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Docking

Yes. What do you want to know?
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 15:56   #3

Does it work? Does it float? Do you have the 6 door or the 9 foot. What brand do you rrcommend? I think I would use it single handing to secure a line to my midship cleat when slowly approaching a dock. What do you think?
Old 23-10-2016, 03:36   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Hook 'N Moor is the trademark of a Swedish company. Mine is telescoping and goes to I guess 2 meters.

I can't really recommend it. It did work when it was new, and the design is clever. But it works with recirculating Torlon balls, which start to stick and jam very soon after the new wears off. I will try to revive mine with dry lube, but this is a serious fault, and in general, the design of the system is flawed in that it does not take proper account of the propensity for the balls to stick.

The usefulness of this device is for getting a rope through the top loop of a mooring ball which lacks a strop, or Baltic style ring cleats. There is really no use for it in UK waters as normal horn cleats are universal (and the Hook 'N Moor won't grab those), and mooring balls all have strops.

Mine stopped working about a year ago, and although I spent four months in the Baltic this year, I never got around to trying to revive it. Baltic style bows-to mooring is pretty much impossible on a boat the size of mine without someone on the pier to take at least the first bow line, so the Hook 'N Moor doesn't really solve that problem (it might, however, on boats with less freeboard at the bow, than mine does).

On top of everything else, it's horrendously expensive.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 07:24   #5

Thanks. That's a really useful review. I'll fond another solution another solution. I'm in Florida traveling north with no crew.
Old 23-10-2016, 08:29   #6

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgold View Post
Thanks. That's a really useful review. I'll fond another solution another solution. I'm in Florida traveling north with no crew.
Bill, we just bought a boat without a midship cleat and so have been working out a new system which has been working great, especially singlehanded. It is based on a system I saw in Vimeo which doesn't work as well for me.

I motor up to the dock with the stern line run outside the lifelines and back into the cockpit near the coaming mounted winch. When I get her close enough I loop the stern line over the rear most dock cleat either by throwing it over or looping it with the boat hook. Once the dock cleat is looped I just run the stern line around the winch and secure it with the self tailing jam groove, steer into the dock and put her in idle ahead. The boat slides forward till the slack comes up then nestles up to the dock so I can make fast the rest of the lines.

I haven't used this with an off dock breeze over about 10 knots yet but it works easier than a mid-ship breast line in every condition I have tried. I have used it when backing in as well though you need to get her stopped before looping the cleat because you need to then go forward to pull her in.

Dan

Tags
dock, Docking