Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2010, 04:12   #106
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Oceanis 43 CE Certification A10/B11/C12/
A prestigious yacht that heralds a new era in the history of blue water cruising yachts.
Oceanis 40 CE Certification A8/B9/C10
Oceanis 37 CE Certification A8/B9/C10
Oceanis 34 CE Certification A6/B7/C8/D10 (deep draught keel)
Oceanis 31 CE Certification B6 /C8 /D10

The 31 isn't, so, yes, you are right. The 31 isn't designed for it.
The Titanic... A prestigious Ship that heralds a new era in the history of Cruise Ships.

The fact is no matter what boat/ship you have there is something out there that can sink it.. so don't overdo the research.. it'll only get more and more disturbing... may even end up scaring you off..
Just find a boat that makes you personally feel safe and comfortable to travel in and do it... just remember everything has its limits and that any repairs come out of YOUR POCKET...
Reef down early, be prepared to heave to for a few hours.. or days.. as I have done a few times.
I can never understand these people who struggle past me in heavy weather in oilies, spray lashing their faces and the boat heaving and pounding taking needless punishment.... while I sit sipping a coffee in the dry shelter of my cabin.... but then I guess they're "REAL MEN" n I'm just a pussy... Miaow
A boat can stand up to enormous seas if allowed to 'go with the flow'... its only when you throw the idiot who MUST GET THERE BY THEIR ETA into the equation that things usually start to break...
Before anyone jumps in with the 'Lee Shore' factor... yes there are exceptions but on the whole.. boats.. production or otherwise are usually abused into failure.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 04:33   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
The question breaks down to " do I need a boat designed for water sailing">blue water sailing if I want to go blue water sailing?" The answer is no, but you will be alot safer and more comfortable if you do. The right tool for the right job.
I agree with you. That was sort of my unfinished thought about I am not rich enough to have multiple boats.

I'd love to go to sea in a 60-foot monster boat.

I love to race beer cans in a J24.

I love to weekend in a nice 42 foot plastic boat.

I'd love to be at anchor in a beautiful cove on a 40-odd foot cat.

All I need is an octogenarian billionairess with a bad ticker who's into an almost 50-baldie-chubbie and doesn't plan to leave her money to her cats.

(Hey everyone has to have a fantasy girl )
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 05:14   #108

additionWe also have an older boat which has a lot of blue water miles under her keel. Teh trade offis that she's a pain in the neck to sail in the Chesapeake, she needs 15 knots of wind to get going, to tack we have to walk the genny through the slot, which is a lot easier to do when we're in an ocean debating whether to tack today or tomorrow. If we had only planned Bay sailing we would have bought a very different boat.

My husband now swears the perfect boat has no through hulls, no teak, and an outboard you can throw away when it doesn't work.

So, no, I don't think the OP needs a bluewater boat unless he's really going bluewater sailing.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 05:58   #109
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
This argument is getting like the gun threads,

Firstly I love the comments like " designed to be a coastal cruiser". The worst worst weather you can met in my opion is off the coast of northern europe ( in my experience). Ive got hammered of Biscay, Dover straits and in parts of the Med ( near ibiza).. I met a round the world cruiser in a big Tayana, an American, He said the worst weather ( nearly brought his mast down), was in the med in summer near Menorca. This is "the coastal" areas you talk about, this is Benteaus back garden.

Any decent production boat can RTW, and yes these modern types can take the fuel and or water ( watermakers etc) for extended crossing, just look at the ARC, thats 20 days.

Really this argument, simply doesnt withstand the logic of looking around you. u may have a Tayana, or whatever, They has their more then fair share of problems too.

As to "beamy" interiors, just back from a boat show saw the new Bavaria 45 , fantastic boat, well designed, good handhold below, etc. could this boat RTW, of course.

Sailing moves on, technology moves on , boat design moves on, get over it.

As to CE certfication. Ce certification is a rigorous process, especially for Class A or B, its primarily designed to ensure boats meet a minimum standard. But its better then nothing and way better then the ABYC stuff, which is voluntary.

Dave
Well, apparently there's no room for opinion here. You obviously have all the answers, but I will keep mine too. I hope I am never again in a position where the power of 40' breaking waves makes me wonder about hull integrity, but I'd like to think that if it does happen again, I will be in the right boat.