Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2015, 03:44   #61

Boat: Newport 28
Re: DIY Standing Rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpw View Post
This was doing everything ourselves including hand making aluminum deadeyes and thimbles.
Very interesting. How did you go about doing this?
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 10:16   #62
Bpw

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436980246.878529.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	393.7 KB
ID:	105420

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436980264.612116.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	105421

We started with aluminum round stock and then went to town with a drill and hand files. The only machine work we had done was cutting the slot in the lower deadeyes. For thimbles we used smaller and thinner rounds.

It works but was a stupid amount of work filing all those grooves by hand and shaping the holes.

We used a turnbuckle on our backstay and I prefer that. Only had to make a couple small thimbles and it's easier to adjust, but we were doing this in chile where it's expensive to get boat parts so we didn't want to buy new turnbuckles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 11:43   #63

Quote:
Attachment 105420
Attachment 105421

We started with aluminum round stock and then went to town with a drill and hand files. The only machine work we had done was cutting the slot in the lower deadeyes. For thimbles we used smaller and thinner rounds.

It works but was a stupid amount of work filing all those grooves by hand and shaping the holes.

We used a turnbuckle on our backstay and I prefer that. Only had to make a couple small thimbles and it's easier to adjust, but we were doing this in chile where it's expensive to get boat parts so we didn't want to buy new turnbuckles.

Wow that actually looks like a decent option considering the price of the ones I saw!
Unfortunately a lot of the other sites people mentioned for where to get DUX appear to be no longer selling it, or at least not in the US.

Is that regular dyneema you are using to adjust the dead eyes?
Old 15-07-2015, 12:06   #64
Bpw

The blue line in the deadeyes is regular Amstel blue.

We looked into buying parts from college, the quoted prices for a whole rigs worth of parts was quite a bit better than what is listed on the website for individual bits.

If you stuck with turnbuckles the little thimbles are much easier to make than deadeyes. Don't have any pictures but just a disc of aluminum with a groove Ari be the edge and a hole through the middle.

We also used a regular thimble and a u-bolt on our forestry instead of a deadeye, it's a bit narrow so it weakens the lashing a bit but we just add a few extra turns to compensate. It is actually as easy to adjust as our deadeyes and no fabrication needed. I would be tempted to do this everywhere if doing again, even if it's not the official way of doing it. Might be tricky to work out a strong enough mounting point for the u-bolts in most boats though.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436987080.622177.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	362.5 KB
ID:	105422

Old 15-07-2015, 12:22   #65

Quote:
The blue line in the deadeyes is regular Amstel blue.

We looked into buying parts from college, the quoted prices for a whole rigs worth of parts was quite a bit better than what is listed on the website for individual bits.

If you stuck with turnbuckles the little thimbles are much easier to make than deadeyes. Don't have any pictures but just a disc of aluminum with a groove Ari be the edge and a hole through the middle.

We also used a regular thimble and a u-bolt on our forestry instead of a deadeye, it's a bit narrow so it weakens the lashing a bit but we just add a few extra turns to compensate. It is actually as easy to adjust as our deadeyes and no fabrication needed. I would be tempted to do this everywhere if doing again, even if it's not the official way of doing it. Might be tricky to work out a strong enough mounting point for the u-bolts in most boats though.

Attachment 105422

That's awesome man I like your style. Are those three strands sheets too? What kind of boat?

I have them working on a revised quote because they wire they quoted me was much larger than what's currently on the boat.
If that doesn't work out I am definitely going to use some of your ideas.
Old 15-07-2015, 12:31   #66
Bpw

The three strand is our anchor rode, we use braid for all our running rigging.

Here is the boat, it's a William Atkin Inga design made in ferro with plywood and glass decks.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436988669.130214.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	105425

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436988682.048679.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	105426

Old 15-07-2015, 12:32   #67

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"

I do this. Measure shroud (add an extra foot) Have a rigger install swage fittings on the upper end. Remove 1 shroud at a time. Lay next to new one. Mark length. wrap cut area with tape. Cut with hack saw. Install stayloc. Reinstall on boat.

Simple.

Prestretch? Creep? UV degradation? Why deal with it.
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 12:33   #68

Beautiful!
The rope rigging really sets off the look too.
Old 15-07-2015, 12:45   #69
Bpw

Quote:
Originally Posted by over40pirate View Post
I do this. Measure shroud (add an extra foot) Have a rigger install swage fittings on the upper end. Remove 1 shroud at a time. Lay next to new one. Mark length. wrap cut area with tape. Cut with hack saw. Install stayloc. Reinstall on boat.

Simple.

Prestretch? Creep? UV degradation? Why deal with it.

Cheaper, stronger, substantial weight savings, more noticeable failure modes, less chafe on sails, easier repair in remote areas, easier to carry spare rigging, and lower static rig loads are all reasons we made the switch.

Wire is great for some applications, but I really think synthetic is the future for heavily used cruising boats.

Old 22-07-2015, 09:22   #70

Okay a local rigger has quoted me a pretty good deal and I am going to go with them.

This might seem like a stupid question, but here goes:
Would my 1977 boat have been rigged using 316 stainless? I ask because I notice it is the weakest of all the steel cable.
I had him replace my old lines using the exact same diameters. Would this be weakening my rig at all?
Old 22-07-2015, 09:50   #71

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post
Okay a local rigger has quoted me a pretty good deal and I am going to go with them.

This might seem like a stupid question, but here goes:

Would my 1977 boat have been rigged using 316 stainless? I ask because I notice it is the weakest of all the steel cable.

I had him replace my old lines using the exact same diameters. Would this be weakening my rig at all?

Almost all stainless rigging is 316. Is corrosion resistance is far more important than its strength compared to other steels; remember that it replaced manilla rope for rigging.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 14:31   #72

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrebe View Post
Almost all stainless rigging is 316. Is corrosion resistance is far more important than its strength compared to other steels; remember that it replaced manilla rope for rigging.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I don't believe that this is true, certainly not OEM rigging. 304 is the standard wire used, 316 a slightly higher cost option... also slightly weaker as noted. If worried about strength, and wanting to change to 316, the compact strand/Dyform wire of the same diameter is stronger than 1x19, albeit a bit dearer.

And I believe that s/s didn't come directly post manila rope for standing rigging. Wasn't there a long period of non-stainless wire being used? There are still advocates for this practice here in the hallowed halls of CF!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 22-07-2015, 15:22   #73

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I don't believe that this is true, certainly not OEM rigging. 304 is the standard wire used, 316 a slightly higher cost option... also slightly weaker as noted. If worried about strength, and wanting to change to 316, the compact strand/Dyform wire of the same diameter is stronger than 1x19, albeit a bit dearer.

And I believe that s/s didn't come directly post manila rope for standing rigging. Wasn't there a long period of non-stainless wire being used? There are still advocates for this practice here in the hallowed halls of CF!

Cheers,

Jim
Hi Jim,

I looked into it, and I must be mistaken, since stainless didn't reach the market until the 20s at the earliest, and certainly wouldn't have been used in pleasure sailboat rigging until after WWII at the earliest. Other wire alloys would have been used between Manila and 316 or 304 for Marconi rigs.

Matt
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 16:18   #74

So is it common practice to replace with 316 and not increase diameter? Should I really be worried about it if Im mainly doing day/weekend sailing?
Old 22-07-2015, 16:32   #75

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post
So is it common practice to replace with 316 and not increase diameter? Should I really be worried about it if Im mainly doing day/weekend sailing?
The norm this days is 316 ss wire, not 304, common practice is to replace your rigging with 316 ss and follow the OEM specifications or in doubt ask the rigger in question who is going to replace it.....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging