Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2016, 13:12   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Discounting a boat that needs a new Motor, Mast or Deck

I'm wondering if anyone can offer very rough estimates, either by experience or educated guess, of the relative costs of doing any of the following three things:

1) Repowering with a new diesel and shaft (say roughly 40hp)
2) Replacing an old wooden mast and boom with new aluminum spars and standing rigging
3) Replacing an old teak deck with fiberglass (with a small to "normal" amount of water intrustion and core rot)

Let's assume the boat is a 35-40 foot cutter-rigged cruiser of moderate to heavy displacement from the early 80s, and let's assume that the boat is well equipped, has been surveyed, and is in excellent shape except for only one of these issues. And let's assume I'm talking about having the job done professionally, not doing it myself. How much of a discount in price would make such a boat worth it, compared with an otherwise identical boat without such an issue?

I'm patiently underway on the search for my next boat and although I'm determined to avoid anything that can be called a fixer-upper, I have also come to realize the constraints that geography and a limited selection will put on finding viable boats to look at. I'm seeing some boats that have dropped from over $80k to under $50k in the last year or two, and I have to believe that in some cases these 3 issues could be the deal breakers that keep them from selling. Maybe a discount of $20k or $30k is well worth the trouble and expense of properly replacing the motor, the rig, or the deck.

Any thoughts or perspectives on this? Or should I stick to my original criteria of "no major issues"?
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 13:20   #2

Boat: Sceptre 36
Re: Discounting a boat that needs a new Motor, Mast or Deck

1. Motor $15k
2. Rig $20k
3. Deck $40k
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 13:44   #3

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

I think Rex is real close on average $. A new engine is a blessing, more efficient/better tec. Full rig with mast, rigging, sails and furler could go a lot higher. As for a boat needing decks...it can be a rabbit hole...stay away

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 19:00   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

That rig price seems grossly underpriced to me. We spent $18,000 for a new mast for a 24' trimaran and that could fit into a container so shipping was cheap. My guess is more like $30,000 for the mast, an additional $5,000 for the rigging (and installation), and another $10,000 for new sails.

Assuming you are nearby a major port with a good sailing community I would ballpark a new mast at $50,000 assuming all new gear.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 19:05   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 31

New 40HP diesel and shaft installed for 15K? Sounds like someone got the "friends and family" discount
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 21:11   #6

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 39

There are so many opinions and thoughts on this forum, as soon as someone posts something the agreeing and disagreeing begins LOL Well worth a read always................

I would guess that 'Rex Delay' has it somewhere in the price range, I suppose an engine can cost upwards of 15k and fitting 5k extra. Essentially everything on a yacht is grossly overpriced Exact price obviously depends on plenty of factors.
CheoyLee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 21:17   #7

Boat: None

Please be wary of a mere discount in this context. Some boats have negative value. That is, they will be worth less after a refit of this magnitude than the refit costs. Also, for a 80s-era 40-footer, I'd think your aux engine might be more like 70-80 HP. As always, anything I say might be wrong.
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 00:07   #8

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

See what second hand stuff is available. That'll drop the cost a lot. Otherwise, imo, it's not a viable project.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 00:18   #9

Unless it's a Hinckley, Swan or some such and can be realistically valued at no less than what you will put into her it's a no starter. Like putting new engine, transmission and drivetrain into a 1980s Buick.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 00:47   #10

I am just curious about replacing the teak deck with fiberglass, is it not most usual that a teak deck already be fixed to the fiberglass deck?? And it a matter of just removing the teak, possibly filling a hole or two, and painting. This is a common thing with the older Cheoy Lee's like mine, having the teak removed after many years because it begins to lift excessively and just utilizing the fiberglass deck already in place.

Forgive me if I am writing something completely wrong, I have never done this job myself.
Old 14-03-2016, 01:32   #11

Boat: Custom Catamaran

It depends where you're doing the work. In the UK / Europe:

- New 46hp diesel - £4k / $6k USD.
- Second hand ally mast (why go new?) plus new 1x19 rigging - £6k / £9k USD
- Teak deck replacement - unless there's fibreglass already beneath, you're talking big $$.

My experience from my last project would steer me away from a fixer-upper that needs deck work - if you're a bit tight on cash, look at a boat with a tired interior / elecs / plumbing that you can do up over time, but make sure the structure is solid to start with in the first place.

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 02:47   #12

Agree with ausnp84, extensive or what can appear to be minor deck work can just be an indication of more extensive problems. I can speak on this with experience, my first yacht a dynel over ply construction I initially cut out and replaced a few small sections of rot in the deck. But soon found extensive rot in larger sections of the deck and hull. Needless to say I passed the yacht on fairly quickly.....It really is possibly best to steer clear of a yacht with deck issues unless it has a solid fiberglass base under the teak.

My current Cheoy Lee I actually initially walked away from however purchased it when the seller knocked 1/3 off the price. The construction was very solid, just would not let your dog live inside, interior, pumps, electronics etc in very poor state of maintenance (All DYI) repair and refurbish friendly (pics on my profile). Although I live on my yacht and fully expected a 2-3 year refit etc.....Not much point though on having a boat like this as a possible occasional weekend repair.
Old 14-03-2016, 05:59   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheoyLee39 View Post
...is it not most usual that a teak deck already be fixed to the fiberglass deck??
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheoyLee39 View Post
And it a matter of just removing the teak, possibly filling a hole or two...
No, it is more like filling a hole or two THOUSAND!

Never mind that those holes, also, almost always allow water intrusion, meaning you also have to replace wet core material.

This is one reason why, in my search for my next boat, anything with a teak deck is immediately eliminated from consideration. Just not going to go there.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 06:58   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"And let's assume I'm talking about having the job done professionally"
Then you get bids from the pros you want to work with. Labor rates will vary widely, and sources of materials (i.e. a used mast? Or a new one? Requiring shipping and in one piece? Or shipping in two pieces and sleeving?) will vary as well.

Generally, you'd take the value of a comparable boat in "sailaway" condition, and then subtract everything you'd have to put into the wreck to bring it back to that same condition. And subtract again for the yard time it will be laid up. Now you've got a maximum value. The price has to be far enough below that to make all the work worthwhile.
And again, generally? If you have to replace a deck and have a yard do it? The boat isn't worth looking at. The deck job alone can exceed the total value of the boat. Not to mention, if it needs a deck, there's more work to be done.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 07:09   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Delay View Post
1. Motor $15k
2. Rig $20k
3. Deck $40k

new mast 15000 and upwards, depending on who built....
rigging 10000
engine--depends what kind you want, from 2000 to 50 000 usd.
deck is variable depending on damages, 10k and upwards, pro done.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, mast, motor