Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2016, 16:58   #1

Boat: O'Day 19 (not Rhodes model), and Chrysler 26
Differences between 25 or 26' trailer sailors

Hello,
My wife and I looking to purchase an older trailer sailor, but no matter how I search I can't seem to compare how they handle compared to one another. I am considering an O'day 25 or O'day 26, a McGregor 26D or 26S, or any other boat that would fit the parameters of trailerable and launchable. The given parameters are maximum 8' beam, trailerable by my Tacoma with a rating of 6500 lbs max (that eliminates the Ericson 25 once one adds a motor and trailer and gear). It might eliminate the O'day 26 too, but I would chance that. The problem is I have no idea how they handle compared to one another (for example between the O'days and the McGregor (water ballasted). Right now we have an O'day 19 (not the Rhodes model) and have never sailed any other boats other than a Jeanneau 44 when we took livaboard lessons this winter. I would like something that could handle some rough weather should I encounter it, yet be ok in light to moderate winds too. BTW, I am in New England and looking to sail mostly in the Cape Cod region, but wouldn't write off driving to Florida and heading to the Bahamas someday.

So first I am wondering how the O'days and the MacGregor would compare, but then how do I compare other boats I may encounter for sale. I know that there are a world of opinions out there, but I appreciate that

Thanks
Snowdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 17:13   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Differences between 25 or 26' trailer sailors

First I am wondering about budget, second why you are limiting yourself to 8' wide, legal limit is 8.5'. Finally there are a lot of very good boats in this size range I could suggest, do you only want to look at these four?

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 17:29   #3

Hi Greg,

No, I am not limited to these four. Budget.... not sure, but thinking likely less than say 15K (meaning used from 70's or 80's or slightly newer). The reason for the 8' wide figure is that it is my understanding that only the major highways are 8.5 foot and the rest of the roads are 8'. Am I wrong? I don't want a fixer-upper. I would be very interested knowing what other boats you were thinking of (even if it were a bit higher in price). I didn't mention this, but we have a mooring in the summer that has a 28' limit... and during low tides we could be high and dry (especially during low spring tides).

Thanks, Steve
Old 30-03-2016, 17:43   #4

Boat: Vancouver 27

They are likely to be more expensive, but the Pacific Seacraft 25 is worth a good look. Mast raises and lowers easily in it's tabernacle. Very nice boat.

Fair winds and calm anchorages!
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 18:43   #5

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28

I sailed an 1983 O'Day 25 for 8 years on Lake Michigan. A friend has sailed a somewhat older O'Day 25 for more than 15 years. In 1983 the exterior design was modernized. The O'Day is generally a solid boat. Mast raising would not be called "easy" but certainly doable by 2 people. It's a good saailing boat and can withstand some rough weather. The O'Day 26 was a later model with, I believe, increased headroom. You can compare their sailing speed by checking your regional PHRF ratings.
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 18:45   #6

Laika,

The Pacific Seacraft has a 3.3' keel. Seems difficult to launch at a small harbor. It also has a displacement of 5500 lbs, which makes me need a large truck. Might be a great boat, but doesn't work based on what my limitations are.

Thanks for the effort though.
Old 30-03-2016, 18:56   #7
Marine Service Provider

Only three states restrict width to below 8.5 feet without a permit.

New York 8 feet (96 inches)
New Jersey 8 feet (96 inches)
Hawaii 8 feet (96 inches)

North Carolina allows up to 10' wide.

Technically you need a permit past this, but I have routinely trailered up to 9' wide boats without any issue in 20 years.

So my boat recomendations depend on your priorities.

If shallow water is an issue then a multihull would be ideal, any monohull is going to be impossible to put on a shallow water mooring btw. My first thought is a Corsair 24mkii but they start at around $25,000. In the same price range or less would be a Stilletto 27 but this may be a bit much for new sailers. So next up would be a Stilletto 24. Both of the Stillettos are great to sail, but have no accommodations.

Other than those an Olson 29/30 or Hobie 33 comes to mind. A little to wide, but awsome sailers, light air machines, and available in your budget.

If you make me hit all your requirements, and fit on the mooring then a J-27 would be my first pick. Fast, easy to sail, inexpensive, and very easy to resell if you choose to get out of sailing.

Old 31-03-2016, 08:18   #8

Boat: Macgregor 26S

If shallow water is an issue then a multihull would be ideal, any monohull is going to be impossible to put on a shallow water mooring btw

Really!

I sail a 25'11" Macgregor 26S and I have been delighted with it. Check it out carefully and you might find you like it a lot.

Why? Let's see. It drafts 15" with the centerboard up, even beaches nicely. It launches very easily. It uses baby stays when raising the mast to keep it centered. (I have seen an Catalina 22 mast fall over into the rocks - Ugly). It has a mast raising system. It sails beautifully on the Great Lakes. etc. etc.
Jhhastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 08:34   #9

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

Loved our O'Day 25 on the Cascade Lakes of Central Oregon. It was competitive, seaworthy, comfortable and fun to sail. There's heaps of them out there and the prices are generally very low. Look for a low time outboard with alternator.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 08:46   #10

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog2 View Post
Hello,
My wife and I looking to purchase an older trailer sailor, but no matter how I search I can't seem to compare how they handle compared to one another. I am considering an O'day 25 or O'day 26, a McGregor 26D or 26S, or any other boat that would fit the parameters of trailerable and launchable. The given parameters are maximum 8' beam, trailerable by my Tacoma with a rating of 6500 lbs max (that eliminates the Ericson 25 once one adds a motor and trailer and gear). It might eliminate the O'day 26 too, but I would chance that. The problem is I have no idea how they handle compared to one another (for example between the O'days and the McGregor (water ballasted). Right now we have an O'day 19 (not the Rhodes model) and have never sailed any other boats other than a Jeanneau 44 when we took livaboard lessons this winter. I would like something that could handle some rough weather should I encounter it, yet be ok in light to moderate winds too. BTW, I am in New England and looking to sail mostly in the Cape Cod region, but wouldn't write off driving to Florida and heading to the Bahamas someday.

So first I am wondering how the O'days and the MacGregor would compare, but then how do I compare other boats I may encounter for sale. I know that there are a world of opinions out there, but I appreciate that

Thanks
Snowdog,

When we were landlocked for a few years due to careers, we sold our cruising sailboat and bought a MacGregor 26M with a 70hp outboard. [We had to drive 8 hours one-way to get to Prince William Sound.]

It was a great little boat that is surprisingly comfortable for two. It served as our sea kayaking base-camp for several weeks at a time, several times every summer.

That boat is sold, but we still have our blog post that also links to our very detailed web site about that boat [with more links to all kinds of additional information and photos of our adventures.]

Best wishes finding what you are looking for.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 31-03-2016, 09:21   #11

Boat: Scout 30

I would look at Nimbles, Sewards & Compacs. All a step up in quality. Keep the draft as shallow as possible.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 09:21   #12

"any monohull is going to be impossible to put on a shallow water mooring btw."

I currently have an O'day 19 that sometimes sits on dry sand at my mooring and almost every day sits in very shallow water during low tides and there is no problem.

Regarding width of trailers. I am going to stick with 8'. One may get away with larger, but not after an accident, even if someone else's fault.

Steve
Old 31-03-2016, 09:39   #13

Boat: Gulf 32

+1 for Nimble 24 (I have a Nimble 20 and love it)... shallow drafted, but with ballast in a stub keel so even if you lose the board you don't lose all your ballast, good stability, easy to launch, well built and beautiful boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I would look at Nimbles, Sewards & Compacs. All a step up in quality. Keep the draft as shallow as possible.
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 10:20   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog2 View Post
"any monohull is going to be impossible to put on a shallow water mooring btw."

I currently have an O'day 19 that sometimes sits on dry sand at my mooring and almost every day sits in very shallow water during low tides and there is no problem.

Regarding width of trailers. I am going to stick with 8'. One may get away with larger, but not after an accident, even if someone else's fault.

Steve
Thanks for the correction. I should have said any monohull with a fixed keel...

A lifting daggerboard, or centerboard boats will work fine.

Note the Hobie 33 comes in a lifting keel version as well and is 8' wide.

Old 31-03-2016, 11:10   #15

Boat: Baltic 52

Given the option the Hobie is near perfect for the pupose. Real Keel (retractable, rig is up and down fairly easily, ramp launches quickly, outboard in a lazarette well. We sailed one for several years in its original Hobie Alter configuration, and raced with some success (the boat can scream downhill). trailered up and down California. 33 feet, 3900 pounds, 8 foot beam. From the road to ready to sail away in 20 minutes.

Choice #2 is the MacGregor. My wife and I started with the original 25, sailed all of SoCal and down to Ensenada (trailered back). We still see at least two sailing regularly between Catalina and the Mainland.
phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, sail