Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2021, 12:47   #16

Re: Designing a "father hoist"

Inexpensive but highly functional as to rigid or semi rigid frame construction, use an outdoor or indoor hanging chairs attached to a hoist from a boom. Also can be used for comfort when at anchor.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...mageBasicHover
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 12:55   #17

Boat: Hunter 33.5

Thanks so much everyone!

While it's less practical to buy a catamaran (for the record, I've seldom seen models without stairs leading down to the head, for instance), the idea of using variations of the bosun's chair is great.

And the additional halyard attachment around the boom is also brilliant, and strikes me as extra safety.

I appreciate the generosity of the members in helping me find solutions for this too-common situation where mobility becomes limited, and limiting. Thanks again!
Dsalvail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 14:30   #18

Dsalvail,

sometimes it's time to accept that it won't work. I've been in a similar situation with my father and we agreed, that it would have been nice, but he won't feel safe on the boat (quite a bit bigger than yours).

What we did instead is we went sailing an afternoon with a friendly yachtie in the same marina who had a big catamaran. Not the same, but still memorable for him.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 14:50   #19

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

Some ideas

https://disabledsailing.org/
https://www.sailing.org/training/con...daptations.php
Google wheelchair on a sailing yacht
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 14:53   #20

Another contact
https://www.coastmonthly.com/2015/10/starship/
John
Old 14-05-2021, 15:57   #21

Dsalvail:

I think a serious constraint will be the width of the companionway hatch 'ole and its position fore'n'aft in relation to possible obstructions below.

On your boat the hatch 'ole appears to be only 27" wide and about the same fore'n'aft (as in my opinion a c'way hatch SHOULD be), and this may not be enough to get a solid chair through. A cargo sling made from canvas like the ones that in days of yore were used for hoisting animals aboard ship would be good AND very secure. It would have to be modified, of course, so that instead of an animal's belly resting in it, it would snug up around Dad's bum, yet permit both bum and shoulders to go through the hatch.

I recommend that you measure the hatch opening before you get too deep into this project. I am 200 lbs and require a 24" x 24" 'ole to get through. But then, I'm spy enuff still to enjoy "doing a Hudini" :-) Simple things like twisting so the shoulders are aligned with the diagonal of the hatch will help.

You need to make sure that the place where Dad is going to have to put his feet when he is down into the saloon is flat and unobstructed, and to help him stand up you need to make sure that there are solid grab rails that he can reach while still sitting in the sling. Unless these things are provided, I would think that his anxiety would rise to the point of spoiling the outing :-)

If it were my problem, I'd fit a running topping lift so that the boom-end can be hoisted high enuff that a 4 part tackle will hang directly over the centre of the c'way hatch when suspended from the end of the boom where the topping lift attaches. The topping lift will then take all the weight in tension, and the boom will be in straight compression. You will want to rig guys to prevent the boom swinging thwartships while it is being used as a cargo jib.

Given the dimensions of your boat I can see where it would be possible to get Dad settled securely in the cargo sling right in the cockpit BEFORE topping up to get him aligned over the hatch. That would help him to feel secure, I'm sure :-)

Interesting problem. I hope you get it sorted to Dad's satisfaction and pleasure - and yours :-)!

All the best.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 19:02   #22

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by C420sailor View Post
If ingress is difficult, rapid emergency egress will be even more-so. Keep that in mind...maybe some short trips with him in the cockpit are better.

THIS. Nice of you to try having him aboard, but perhaps not the best approach. Cockpit daysails can be very pleasant.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 19:51   #23

Boat: Columbia 50

Most previous replies have discussed bosuns chairs, climbing harnesses, etc. If he’s mobile, but doesn’t have strength to climb, you might want to consider a simple sling - clipped at the chest, under the arms and around the back.

That way you can ASSIST him getting up and down, taking weight off of his legs, without acting as if he’s a dead load - to my mind, the biggest trouble with bosuns chairs, and to a lesser degree climbing harnesses, is the transition from Standing on your own to sitting in the chair/harness, and back again afterwards. Even spry folks have issues getting vertical out of a chair, in my experience....

A climbing harness WITH a chest component could work out if more assistance is needed.

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 21:24   #24

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Over the years we have lifted a few elderly persons on board Wings. We have a bosun's chair which we found to be easy to get them into and out of.

However we did not rig a block and tackle from the boom. Much simpler and quicker just to swing them off the dock (or out of the dingy) on the Main Halyard and lower them right down the companionway hatch.

In our case the halyard leads to a powerful primary winch (manual) and one of us worked the winch while the other guided Granny.
Old 15-05-2021, 12:40   #25

I would include him wearing his weather gear">foul weather gear and life jacket for the experiments. Also, check your man over board MOB gear can cope.
John
Old 15-05-2021, 16:17   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Over the years we have lifted a few elderly persons on board Wings. We have a bosun's chair which we found to be easy to get them into and out of.

However we did not rig a block and tackle from the boom. Much simpler and quicker just to swing them off the dock (or out of the dingy) on the Main Halyard and lower them right down the companionway hatch.

In our case the halyard leads to a powerful primary winch (manual) and one of us worked the winch while the other guided Granny.
Yes this sounds about right👍
keyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 16:29   #27

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

My handicapped solution is a Hoyer lift sling and a halyard. I'm surprised dad doesn't have one at home.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 08:22   #28

Boat: Hunter 33.5

Thanks so much to all of you! The plan has changed as a consequence of the posts on this forum: Dad goes into a sling I made that wraps under his arms and around his chest/back, and the halyard + main winch lifts him up a little and helps swing him over the companionway step. (It's only a few inches, but prohibitively high for him.) The mandatory life vest is actually useful beyond is safety value: it provides a little padding underneath the sling.
In addition, a safety line goes to a block on the boom, with clutch, supported by the back-up halyard as a boom lift to spread the weight should something go wrong.

The plan is to remain in the cockpit through the day, but sometimes nature calls, and a short visit to the head will warrant a little lifting.

So altogether, the forum has succeeded in creating a plan which will be safe and rewarding for my father. I thank you all for that.

The matter of emergency egress remains; we sail on quiet, lazy Lake Champlain (NY), and we'll pick low-wind conditions and a nice day overall to sail around the bays while Dad is aboard. He's an excellent swimmer; worse comes to worst, we'll throw him overboard and collect him later!
Dsalvail is offline   Reply With Quote