Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 10:14   #1

Design vs Displacement ?

hello I have seen many sailboats lately, one of them is especialy appealing to me. the hughes 25ft seems very well designed for ocean going, however its only a 3500lb boat. the guy selling it says he has crossed lake eries many times in all kinds of weathers, he says that it compares to the ocean in high winds.

I dont have much experience, however I like the cabin layout of this boat and the hull shape, especialy the outboard well.

all chainplates look solid and everything well placed.

I dont have a photo but if someone here can give me an honest opinion aboute this boat, pleas do!

this boat would be sailed mostly from toronto to gaspe with an occasinal coastal voyage, all solo.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hughes_25_drawing.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	18201  
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:38   #2

perhaps I didnt ask my question properly.

I am wondering if displacement is more important then design in regards to seawarthyness?
Old 04-08-2010, 11:39   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
I like the looks and the lines of this design. Hard to say how it sails before you go for a test drive, or two.

Why do you mention ocean (sailing)? The boat does not look like designed for ocean sailing.

Otherwise, looks cream to me. If she is sound, or if you can fix her - looks like a lovely pocket-cruiser to me.

If there is an owners' forum try to reach some owners and see where the potential problems could be with this specific design. The rudder area looks like one of such places for this specific design.

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:52   #4

Boat: a sailing boat
Displacement is a part of the design. It is no an either / or issue.

Seaworthiness must be seen in the perspective of the area (and its weather conditions) you want to use the boat in.

It is a small and relatively light boat, but the design looks fine. If the boat is old (I know they started making them 1968) then you must identify and, if necessary, address all structural issues resulting from ageing.

I believe such a boat can be used for coastal passages but will lack storage capacity for extended crossings or cruising in remote areas (when you must carry all your water, food and spares with you).

Last but not least make sure the driver's skills match and exceed the boat's design quality.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:09   #5

I am asking if shes seaworthy becaus I will use her in the st-laurence gulf, kind of rugh out there.

also the owner says that with a 7.5 beem a 22LWL and 1600 ballast this boat can handle more then I can give.
on the other hand I read that experienced sailors would not go to sea with such a light displacement boat.

so I am confused, especialy after visiting a grampian 26 witch the owner strongly advised me to get this hughes 25 rather then his grampian?

according to him the hughes was designed for sirious sailing not the grampian.
Old 04-08-2010, 14:01   #6

In no way is that a 'light displacement boat.' Look good to me.

You're kidding yourself if you think Lake Erie or the St. Laurence are as rough as the sea. I'm sure they can hurt, but the open sea is different, mainly because the implication is one cannot hide from the weather but must deal with it for as long as it persists.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 14:14   #7
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
In no way is that a 'light displacement boat.' Look good to me.

You're kidding yourself if you think Lake Erie or the St. Laurence are as rough as the sea.
One question- have you ever sailed on the Great Lakes?
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 15:42   #8
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
so whats the deal, ?

I thought you closed on a T-24? And now you are back to asking the same questions you had asked before on this thread?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ead-43109.html

Already spent enough time with you on this one...

Good luck
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 16:18   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
on the other hand I read that experienced sailors would not go to sea with such a light displacement boat.
If you're looking for an experienced sailor to admit that s/he would not go to sea on such a light displacement boat, I'm happy to do so.

I started out on a boat that light--this was five boats ago. In conditions my current boat (which weighs in at 15 tons) only asks me to tuck in a reef, that light boat would be in full survival mode, and I'm talking about "man the buckets!" stuff.

Ask yourself why "Small Craft Advisories" don't apply to the big boys, and you'll start to understand how some of the things the owner is telling you won't play out in the real world.
Old 04-08-2010, 16:43   #10
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
so whats the deal, ?

I thought you closed on a T-24? And now you are back to asking the same questions you had asked before on this thread?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ead-43109.html

Already spent enough time with you on this one...

Good luck
In my opinion, posts like this contribute nothing to the thread or to the forum, and only serve to poison the well. I appreciate the fact that the poster doesn't want to spend time helping the OP find the perfect boat. That's fine. The solution is to get off the thread and not help. Nothing constructive is accomplished by berating the OP for asking the question.

There are certainly forums out there where bullying and other forms of passive/aggressive behavior are encouraged. Pm me and I'd be happy to recommend one. But the type of post quoted above is not what Cruiser's Forum is about, and I become concerned when I see so many such comments being posted by the same user.
Old 04-08-2010, 17:15   #11

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
In my opinion, posts like this contribute nothing to the thread or to the forum, and only serve to poison the well. I appreciate the fact that the poster doesn't want to spend time helping the OP find the perfect boat. That's fine. The solution is to get off the thread and not help. Nothing constructive is accomplished by berating the OP for asking the question.

There are certainly forums out there where bullying and other forms of passive/aggressive behavior are encouraged. Pm me and I'd be happy to recommend one. But the type of post quoted above is not what Cruiser's Forum is about, and I become concerned when I see so many such comments being posted by the same user.
Hey Bash,
You should know by now and should laugh about it, that much of the information given on this forum is from "Wana-be" cruisers that not only dont own a boat, but lie about their sailing past.. And If you watch really close, they sometimes slip up and show their stupidity..
I'll be in the bay from the 1st till the 8th befor we head south..Maybe we can get together for a beer..................
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 17:20   #12
cruiser

Whatever you say Randy. if you need a personal trainer, just let me know. And have a beer on me.
Old 04-08-2010, 17:27   #13

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Yep, you are a little on the offensive side, SaltyMonkey. I for one don't care for the attitude and it makes me feel bad to see it on this forum.
Old 04-08-2010, 17:31   #14
cruiser

thats cool, Vitageray. glad to hear your opinion.
Old 04-08-2010, 17:42   #15
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post

I'll be in the bay from the 1st till the 8th befor we head south..Maybe we can get together for a beer..................
(With apologies for the thread drift!)

Nothing would please me more! Unfortunately, I'm Delta-bound just as soon as my crew arrive from Colorado, of all places.

(Spent the day servicing the iron genny, which I do religiously once a year prior to blasting off for the Delta. While cleaning the engine pan I found an 8mm flange nut, painted the same color as my trusty Yanmar. Yikes. Do you know how many nuts I looked at before I checked the one securing the dip-stick bracket?)

Hey, all the best on the continuance of your journey. You've earned it. (Twice!) Even though you're leaving us in NorCal, please continue to be an active part of our worldwide CF community and let us know where you are, how you fare, and what adventures unfold.

I'll be a few years behind you, at least as far as Baja. Fair winds, friend.

Tags
displacement