Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 06:54   #1

Dehler 35 and 39

Dear all,

Can you give me opnions about these boats?

Tks

Boggie
boggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:33   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggie View Post
Dear all,

Can you give me opnions about these boats?

Tks

Boggie
OK - personal opinions below. Others will no doubt vary....

I've never sailed a Dehler, but I've recently had a close look at them at a boat show and I did not really like them. They seemed to lack the forethought that went into the Beneteaus, Catalinas, Jeanneaus, Hunters, etc. etc... For instance the access to the underfloor areas on the Jeanneaus and Beneteaus was via a small "clip" that you could trigger easily and then lift the flooring. On the Dehler you need a screwdriver. Now it's a small point and will you ever need "fast" access to that area? But to my mind it showed a difference of approach in the design and I wondered what else was going to be made more difficult to access? What if I lost my screwdriver?

The internal finish was, IMO, poorer than I expected and access through the boat was not as good. The woods used were much darker than the other boats which made it feel cramped and the layout did not seem to be as pleasant. SWMBO give it the thumbs-down very quickly so if you're planning to take the Missus with you then get her to have a look. The ladies seem to like the bright, airy feel.

To be fair to Dehler, this was a brand new boat so there was actually nothing wrong with it, but the Beneteaus and the Catalina 375 just felt so much nicer, more pleasant and comfortable. I cannot put my finger on it any better than that. I did not actually expect much from Beneteau or the Catalina before I went to the show, but I was mightily impressed by both makes.

For me, the absolute bottom of the show was the Island Packet with the new internal layout with no V-berth.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:52   #3
cruiser

As far as Dehlers are concerned you could convert the thread at http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post532989 1:1 and it would hold true.

Really depends what you want/expect from a boat ...if it's weekend & holiday sailing a Dehler will be just as fine as pretty much any other boat out there (as long as it floats *grin*)
JustThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:57   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Where production boats are concerned, I am strongly partial to Beneteaus, but that is subjective and probably not that interesting to you. Beneteaus benefit from the application of a lot of R&D which is supported by the big volumes they do. That's why they have always seemed to me a lot more than just "cheap, mass-produced", to me, unlike other production boats.

If you want something objective about Dehlers, I really dislike the self-tacking jibs on them. If you can't trim the headsail, you can't really trim your sails.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 14:10   #5

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Where production boats are concerned, I am strongly partial to Beneteaus, but that is subjective and probably not that interesting to you. Beneteaus benefit from the application of a lot of R&D which is supported by the big volumes they do. That's why they have always seemed to me a lot more than just "cheap, mass-produced", to me, unlike other production boats.

If you want something objective about Dehlers, I really dislike the self-tacking jibs on them. If you can't trim the headsail, you can't really trim your sails.
I realy prefer to trim headsails

At same time seems that this manufacture can a best value-monney on the second hand market if i decide to sale after some years. I don't find much of them on second hand as Benette. What is your opinion?
Old 07-10-2010, 03:25   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

What is R&D?
Old 07-10-2010, 04:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggie View Post
What is R&D?
Research and Development.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote