Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2008, 12:15   #1

Location: salt lake city utah home of the worlds saltiest sailors
Boat: 21 foot, NO IDEA, Esilenna
deck organization ?

so is there a right way or a wrong way to set up your boat? Im referring to winches and were my lines and sheets are running and being tied or cleated off off. im pretty new at this whole big boat thing so simple explanations would be nice. I know what halyards are and jib and main sheets. basically i just wana know if there is a right way an a wrong way to set up the boat.
jon.wright.lbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 12:46   #2

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.wright.lbc View Post
so is there a right way or a wrong way to set up your boat? Im referring to winches and were my lines and sheets are running and being tied or cleated off off. im pretty new at this whole big boat thing so simple explanations would be nice. I know what halyards are and jib and main sheets. basically i just wana know if there is a right way an a wrong way to set up the boat.
There are a lot of wrong ways to set up a boat. Unfortunately (for giving a simple answer) there is also more than one right way. The general rule is you want ease of reach and operation.

In your case though, I suggest speaking with knowledgeable folks in your area. If you are lucky you will be able to charm them into letting you crew on their boat so you can learn by watching/doing. Do that and/or take some classes. I say all this because most times the boat pretty much is set up, unless you are building it new or doing a major refit. Without knowing all of what you have, and how to use, you're much more likely to be a danger to yourself, your boat or others.

Now, not wanting to be the sort to say "it's too complex, go somewhere else", let me at least point you in the right direction. Five easy ways to simplify your deck layout (July/Aug Sailing World)

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 13:03   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
You want all the lines running as direct as possible with as few turns as possible. You want as fair a lead as possible in and out of every block, clutch, or winch. All these little things add extra resistance to the lines that add wear and tear as well as additional force required when you set them. Color coding helps so you don't confuse the lines. Nothing worse than doing the right thing to the wrong line. Try to stow all lines in the same manner when you are underway and don't wait to coil a line later. Try to keep the lines in good order at all times. It saves wear and tear and makes it easy to find and control all parts of the rigging.

There are a lot of small things that come up with how you stow your lines. Coil them neatly so there are no tangled messes of lines. When coiled they will flow through the rigging smooth and not tangle. If using cleats learn how to tie a proper Cleat hitch. When tied properly they don't require a lot of turns that can be slow or hard to undo yet they will hold fast.

You are trying to make the operation of your boat very efficient so you can react quickly. If you have crew aboard you need to help them work with lines properly too.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 15:34   #4
cruiser

Jon:
A lot will depend upon how your boat, i.e. cockpit and house were designed.
Avoid friction. Consider which lines are best left forward. For instance with a genoa or jib that lives on roller furling it may not be important top bring that halyard aft. Also, if you have an autopilot you could consider leaving the main hal on the mast also. You will find that you can hoist the main at least half way up by hand easily then go the last few fet on a winch. Also, when you are reefing it is almost always necessary to go to the gooseneck so why not have the main hal there? That way you avoid a lot of friction. It is nice to have everything dump into then cockpit but it comes at a price. Most of the time I assume that if you are going to fly a chute you will have help on board and it's nice to have someone forward watching the chute go up so a spin hal is often best left on the mast. Probably the best way to start the process is to try and get out on a few other boats so you can see how their deck set up works. Like someone said already, there are many ways to do it right. A lot will depend upon your own style of sailing.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 16:39   #5

The concept is simple. You want the controls you use the most to have the fairest leads to winches. You want the winches positioned where they can be properly used so that you can put your chest "over" them and turn.

If you sail short handed you need this all to be close to the helm.

The lines handles most frequently are the head sail sheets and the main sheet. Get those optimized.

Line stoppers / rope clutches are handy for letting several lines "share" a winch.

You can have your slab reefing lines led to the cockpit usually over the coach roof through line stoppers and winches. Same for vang, and outhaul and topping lift

I recommend color lines or lines with color trace so they can be easily identified.

The only lines I have at the mast are the spinnaker and jib halyard, the pole lift and downhaul.

If your boat is flexible enough to set up the lines - do it to make your sailing more safe and more comfortable!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck