Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2020, 06:39   #31

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged
Re: Custom and Semi-Custom Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I think it's increased demand. I don't want to discuss some of the reasons since we are forbidden from doing so.
Yep, oddly enough I'm told that brokers here on the Left Coast are running low on listings - never saw that coming. Maybe not really the best time for low balling.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:47   #32

Boat: a sailing boat

I wold love a semi-custom boat for many reasons:

where most owners want more diesel, I want more water.

etc.

A custom boat is a nice way to have a boat that fits our sailing style.

eh?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:45   #33

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Popularity of boating here in new england (connecticut, specifically) appears to have peaked with the pandemic. Folks looking for activity outside the home with social distancing built in...i have called 3 boatyards within 20 miles for an electrical problem and all said it will be weeks before they could consider stopping by...2 do not make "remote calls" anymore due to the backlog in work they currently have...so assuming this may translate into the boat mkt too...
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 12:16   #34

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

In today’s economy, cost of labor, regulations etc. it is close to impossible building a fully custom boat in any reasonable cost. I would argue even the quality may not be as high as expected as the builder lack the proven performance of tens to thousands similar boats produced. Every small customize change can turn into a future problem (or not...).

Semi custom boats built by reputable builders is a different story: The core - hull, deck and optional layouts are identical with all other boats, as well as hardware and systems, so the extra cost and expected quality can be justified - as far as buying a new boat can be justified.

If one is looking for special features not available with the common production, a semi custom build could be viable if these features really worth the extra price tag.

Financially? — any boat is a poor investment. The more you pay the more you depreciate upon selling.

Quote:
Are custom boats worth it? Longer wait, higher price, resale value, etc.
Lets face it, custom boats are only "custom" to the original purchaser. It's just another off the shelf boat to the second buyer so is it really financially prudent to spend 50% more for "custom" when it loses that value once wet?
Old 15-08-2020, 16:20   #35

Boat: a sailing boat

Best boats in the world are in fact 100% custom.

One example are the most luxurious yachts built in the Netherlands.

Another are IMOCA's built in France.

They are the best and the most expensive boats money can buy. Also the fastest.

They also tend to keep value well, especially the luxurious Dutch things.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 21:04   #36

I was quoted 500-600k for a custom cedar plank monohull. That boat would probably be worth 50k or less now simply because no one wants a 16,000lb long keel junk rigged flush deck McNaughton 30. I don't even want one now. Even the builder out in maine told me it was a bad idea. haha

The fact is, the reason why you want custom is probably because what is on the market is not what you want. But conversely what is on the market is what the market wants. If you do the proper research and really analyse what you need, you will be able to find something on the market that suits your need, especially for mono hulls.

There's a lot of 50 foot customs going for 50% of their built cost within less than 10 years of purchase and you can probably get it for less than that. What happens is the owner had a dream, threw all his money into it. Did a few passages and now it's time to sell.

PS Im talking about one offs or other niche designs. Semi customs like bestevaer hold their value well. Just don't do anything cedar planked or cold molded.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 10:14   #37

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Our boat, like all Shannon 28s, was semi-custom built for the original owners. From the notable differences between ours and most other Shannon 28s, the owners clearly wanted a very simple, offshore capable boat. The engine is raw water cooled, so no heat exchanger or hot water. No pressure water. No shore power and no refrigeration. The staysail is sheeted via cabin top blocks P/S rather than on a self tacking boom as most of the other S28s, and she is tiller steered.

Pretty difficult and probably quite expensive to change much of that, so I imagine resale in todays "comfort oriented" market must have been difficult. For us, though, she turned out to be a perfect fit for our cruising needs, and so we love her even more for that simplicity.

Still, custom or semi-custom can and often does narrow the range of potential buyers when it comes to selling. Doesn't necessarily mean the price suffers, but one might have to wait quite some time to find the right person with similar needs and tastes.

The king of custom one offs is, of course, Bob Perry, the father of the "Container cruiser" and numerous other monstrosities commissioned by buyers with more money than common sense.
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 15:39   #38

Quote:
Are custom boats worth it? Longer wait, higher price, resale value, etc.
Lets face it, custom boats are only "custom" to the original purchaser. It's just another off the shelf boat to the second buyer so is it really financially prudent to spend 50% more for "custom" when it loses that value once wet?
I can have a custom 52’ cat built in cape town for $ 1 mil usd fully spec. That’s cheaper than a production boat of same spec and size and a hell of a lot better.
Similar wait time. I honestly can only work out why people buy production yachts is because they don’t want to think.
simonhantler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 05:42   #39

Boat: Shannon 38 ketch

One of the boats I'm looking at is an Aztec 37 pilothouse, which is built on a C&C 37 hull. Would this be considered a semi-custom? It's list price is $8,000 less than the C&C 37 that I'm also looking at. My main concerns about the Aztec are the shallow draft for bluewater sailing (4.6ft vs 6.7ft), the pilothouse configuration, which could be an oven in tropical climates, and the fact that it's so rare and unusual that I can't find any information about it.
DarwinHolmstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 06:52   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I have 2 semi-custom steel sail boats.

The 33’ boat was a dead stock hull with no interior. The Owner finished it out and did a beautiful job. I have changed very little, removed the saloon table because they were tiny and we are not. He did a lot of neat things that made the boat more user friendly and she has tremendous storage.

The 44’ boat was an existing sketch design. The Owner worked with the designer to have her redrawn as a cutter before construction. But also significant mods were made to the method of construction. For example there are no stringers, the plates are welded to 1” round bar. The Owner then did the interior layout in mahogany and it’s a wonderful living space.

I have made some improvements/additions to the boat. I added an arch and replaced the rotted mild steel bow sprit with a stainless one and added whiskers. I keep doing little things to reduce maintenance.

During lockdown I spent a fair bit of time looking at other 44’ cc cutters and could find none that I liked near as much as ours.

So my experience has been to buy someone else’s dream. If your dreams match it’s a good fit.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 09:52   #41

I can’t visualize what you mean by plates welded to 1” round bar. Do you mean the rounds are spaced like stringers normally would be - to what purpose? Do you have some photos?
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 11:33   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Let’s see if this works. I’m just doing some work and had this exposed.

Ignore the aluminum angle, that’s just a floor support.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41FC0214-6612-442B-B994-6C7F0D996F21.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	221889  
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat