Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2015, 21:20   #16

Re: Current production bluewater boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Why not read this? Great criteria and nice list near the end. Almost everything that has been mentioned to this point is listed:

Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising

Problem is that he doesn't recommend a single entry level production mono hull boat.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 22:23   #17
cruiser

Why limit your choices to the very few made in America? The U.S. Dollar is strong against the euro, and it's currently a buyer's market in Europe. Look at some Hallberg Rasseys and Oysters in your size and price range. Forget about American companies that just re-badge an Asian product. The good stuff is being built in Europe.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 22:27   #18
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Hmmmm .... lots of suggestions - thanks.
I spent some time looking at all the builders web sites but so far nothing has spoken to me on the level of visual appeal I have not gone through the boats of the Mahina web site since they are largely out of production.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 22:35   #19
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Why limit your choices to the very few made in America? The U.S. Dollar is strong against the euro, and it's currently a buyer's market in Europe. Look at some Hallberg Rasseys and Oysters in your size and price range. Forget about American companies that just re-badge an Asian product. The good stuff is being built in Europe.
The reason is the import duty on anything not produced under NAFTA. That adds almost ten percent to the price. To put it another way, I really like the Outbound 46 but am wondering if there is something available that appeals, is priced similarly as the Outbound but is produced under NAFTA without the big duty hit. I will also need to include 11% taxes on top of any duty.
Old 24-06-2015, 22:40   #20
cruiser

But... If you can save a huge amount on the purchase price, why worry so much about the import duty? Or, register the boat in a tax free country, cruise overseas and forget about the import duty.
Old 24-06-2015, 22:51   #21
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
But... If you can save a huge amount on the purchase price, why worry so much about the import duty? Or, register the boat in a tax free country, cruise overseas and forget about the import duty.
This is the other side of the coin - if it turns out that value is exceptional then I won't mind paying duty. I am hoping that looking at NAFTA boats will clarify this for me. Cruising exclusively overseas will not happen, the boat has to come into Canada.
Old 24-06-2015, 22:58   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
This is the other side of the coin - if it turns out that value is exceptional then I won't mind paying duty. I am hoping that looking at NAFTA boats will clarify this for me. Cruising exclusively overseas will not happen, the boat has to come into Canada.
You do not have to pay Canadian tax while the boat is out of Canada. You can buy it and bluebook register it and not pay tax. You can leave it in the states and not pay tax and you can bring it into Canada under a work bond for several months and not pay tax. Just make sure that when you buy it none of the transaction happens in Canada.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 23:03   #23

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Does Waterline (Steel / Vancouver) still make a mid-40' boat? Looked at a few used ones when I was shopping and was quite impressed with the build quality.

Is Dieter Pollack (again steel/Vancouver or Victoria/small production yard) building boats again? I looked at a couple of his 44'ers and again was quite impressed. If I could have made the layout of either work for us, I'd have bought one.

Mark
Amel Super Maramu
Currently cruising S Pacific with our 15 yr old son & 13 yr old daughter
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 23:08   #24
cruiser

Prior to buying our current boat in the UK, we were focused on purchasing a boat on the west coast of the U.S. Eventually, looking overseas and then buying a boat and sailing it overseas opened up a whole new world of possibilities we'd never considered. Now, I wouldn't trade two weeks of Mediterranean cruising for an entire season in the U.S. We've now adjusted our lives and jobs to accommodate world cruising.

Don't limit yourself by fixating on some 10% tax issue.

The Outbound has a few user friendly issues to sort out if you decide to buy one. The first being the companionway hatch which isn't large enough to pass through without hitting your head. I'm only 5'8" and I don't have enough clearance... smacked my head real good at the Annapolis boat show on one. At the show, the factory rep stationed someone near the hatch to remind everyone to duck... so I wasn't the only one. Lame design. Then I was equally unimpressed when my wife and I bashed our feet on the large sharp cornered hunk of stainless some design knucklehead placed on the decks in order to mount the primary blocks. I guess, not so much a problem if you wear steel-toed deck shoes and a hard had when underway.
Old 24-06-2015, 23:15   #25
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
You do not have to pay Canadian tax while the boat is out of Canada. You can buy it and bluebook register it and not pay tax. You can leave it in the states and not pay tax and you can bring it into Canada under a work bond for several months and not pay tax. Just make sure that when you buy it none of the transaction happens in Canada.
I was under the impression that as a Canadian citizen there was no choice but to pay import duty the first time I brought it into Canada. I do realize that if I was an American citizen, I could bring the boat in under a cruising permit.
In any case, the boat will have to be docked up here in Canada so there is no bypassing the duty
Old 24-06-2015, 23:19   #26

Boat: Selene 47

Give up on the sail thing, get a trawler. Holds more fuel, water and lots more room to escape from the Admiral.
Just saying, LOL
CrustyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 02:49   #27

Boat: Sceptre 41

Perhaps someone can remember this better than I. Didn't a company in Washington State start building a reproduction of either the Baltic or Nordic 40?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 03:42   #28
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Perhaps someone can remember this better than I. Didn't a company in Washington State start building a reproduction of either the Baltic or Nordic 40?
Yes, that would be Norstar Yachts, building the Nordic 40 and 44...

norstar-website

Sweet boat, but that price reflects the premium one pays for a new boat...

With that sort of budget, I doubt I'd have much trouble finding a used 40-footer of suitable quality, and still have $200K left over to put into the cruising kitty... Your Sceptre 41 would certainly be one worthy of consideration...

:-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 04:40   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
The reason is the import duty on anything not produced under NAFTA. That adds almost ten percent to the price. To put it another way, I really like the Outbound 46 but am wondering if there is something available that appeals, is priced similarly as the Outbound but is produced under NAFTA without the big duty hit. I will also need to include 11% taxes on top of any duty.
You will have a duty tax but you will save on build labour cost which is why they are built in the east. It is swings and roundabouts. I am sure the labour cost savings will be given back to the consumer in part and not all be swallowed in profit.

If you are able to afford the 46 without the 11% not sure you will find home grown for a similar price. I have some quotes from Phil Lambert and the prices at outbound are very keen for what you get.

Also he is a very accommodating guy. He will give you what you want. Send him an email and have a chat if you are set on the Outbound 46.

To my mind if you can afford the 46 without the 11% you can get that boat. There are ways.
paulanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 05:49   #30
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulanthony View Post

To my mind if you can afford the 46 without the 11% you can get that boat. There are ways.
Not to mention, if adding 10% to the purchase price of a boat you really want is the deal breaker, are you sure you can really afford to maintain and actually USE the boat, anyway?

:-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
current, water