Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2005, 16:27   #1

CT 34

Does anyone have experience/knowledge regarding the overall quality and positives and/or negatives of the CT 34?

Any information relating to this particular sailboat will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Irish Ayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2005, 17:31   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
I do not have first hand experience with the CT 34 specifically but I have spent some time around other CT's. CT built a number of designs, some credited to reputable designers like Bill Garden and Allen Warwick. I am assuming that this is part of the series credited to William Garden. These boats had a terrible reputation both for their build quality and their sailing abilities, being grossly overweight, under-ballasted and under-canvassed with huge amounts of wetted surface. Typically, boats like these need a fairly large amount of wind to even sail (something like 12 to 15 knots) and are useless as sailboats in less wind a bear to handle in higher winds. I'd run, not walk the other way from this one.

Jeff
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:58   #3

I have a 1977 CT 34 that I've been rebuilding and sailing over the past few years.
The hull and cabin are very solid - the boat has had no blisters.
Sailed to the Keys from central east Florida. The boat sails well and has been easy to single hand.
The designer was Mr. C.T. Chen of the Ta Chiao Bros. - many believe that Bob Perry was the designer because of its appearance. The first boat was built in the early 1970's and the last (hull #43) was built in 1987.
If you care to see the historic facts about the boat, click on "The CT 34" which is a link on my website http://www.guildmark.com/crumpet - this site provides general information about the CT 34, as well as specific information about my projects. About half of the hulls that have been produced are identified.
All in all, I've found the boat to be solidly constructed with good hardware - it is worth the effort it takes to rebuild an older boat. The interior space is liveable, and the boat sails well.
If you are looking at a boat hull that is not identified in the CT 34 website, I would appreciate any information that you may be able to provide.
crumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:09   #4
Kai Nui

Clipper bow, full keel canoe stern. It would make my list.