Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2021, 13:54   #1

Boat: CS 36 Merlin
Cs36 Merlin... Any owners past or present out there.

Hi all. Just taken possession of a CS Merlin 36. Seeking information on the keel stepped Isomat mast. Given that the Merlin has a very shallow Bilge, looking to keep as much water as possible on the outside of the boat. Previously, there had been a plug in the mast at deck level, water collecting there spilling out onto the deck. Believe a company in America, Sail Rite, (?), used to stock parts for the Isomat mast, including a two part plug. Understandably, this part now seems to be out of stock. Have a few ideas about how to form a watertight plug myself, just wondering what other owners have come up with, or have they discarded the plug entirely. Also the mast sits on a heavily built box section above the keel, at the bottom of which sits the forward keel bolt. As there is no outlet for any water coming down
inside the mast, this water builds up in there until eventually overflowing into the Bilge. Thinking of capping this off to stop any water ingress into the box section, tapping into the mast base to form an outlet for any water collected there. Or drilling through the bottom edge of the box section to allow any water to escape into the Bilge. Any thoughts?? The boat, at present, is on the hard, mast out. Thanks all for having a think... Maco.
Maco56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:11   #2

Boat: C&C 30 MkII
Re: Cs36 Merlin... Any owners past or present out there.

A long way away from you but EB Spars in Hudson Quebec (Canada) is an Isomat dealer.
Drumroll30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:14   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Have had my Merlin since 1988, the second year they were built. The shallow bilge is a problem. In later years CS put the bilge pump in a small well, a great improvement. Have never worried about water coming through the mast.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:26   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Never noticed any water when un-stepping the mast, a ritual every fall here.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:11   #5

Boat: CS 36 Merlin

Thanks for the contact EB Spars, Quebec, Drumroll 30. Have sent them an email request regarding availability of parts. Thanks also, Vasco. You're lack of water ingress from the mast makes me think the water collecting in the Bilge is coming from elsewhere. And before you ask, it is fresh water.. Cockpit drains have been replaced, possible it may be coming from the steering pedestal, but you wouldn't think that would allow much water to penetrate.

. I guess I'll spend some time up top with a hose
Maco56 is offline   Reply With Quote