Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2021, 01:49   #1

Cruising Insights

Hi all, about two years ago I decided it was time to take a break from work and put in place plans to cruise the east coast of Australia and beyond if I could for 1-2 years from 2020. Then as COVID hit and everything was out to a halt. But the time has come to plan again.

As I am currently based on the Gold Coast, Australia, I was looking at a flybridge cruiser or powered cat as the vessel but I would be very interested to hear from a few blue water sail cruisers on their insights. I will be doing much of it, short-handed so feedback and thoughts on things such as mono hull Vs catamaran, most comfortable length etc. I have owned and sailed mono hulls but never a cat.

There is a good selection of both on the market at any given time, but it is a considerable investment so any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
TapDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 04:01   #2
cruiser

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Cruising Insights

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, TapDat.
GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 04:33   #3

Thanks for your reply GordMay...Just not sure what it means
Old 12-04-2021, 04:51   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

It means that Gord May, who can research a topic faster than most of us, has welcomed you to participation in the forum.

You're considering two transitions, from monohull to cat and sail to power. The cat will have much more interior space than a monohull of similar length, and a lighter rig for similar space. It will be more stable until you actually capsize, at which point it will be more stable copper side up than it was gelcoat up. That's very unlikely, but does happen. Power will mean less work underway, but new systems to master. A powered catamaran would mean both the positives and the negatives of having two points of thrust.

So, do you have any plans to try out a few before making this big purchase? Maybe go to the extreme, and charter a powered cat? You've got four basic configuations under consideration, and have your experience in one of them. Exploration appeals to me after thinking about it. Have a wonderful time with it.
Old 12-04-2021, 05:36   #5
cruiser

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapDat View Post
Thanks for your reply GordMay...Just not sure what it means
I presume you're referring to my tag line*, which applies to nobody, in particular; and everyone, in general:
Gord May
* "If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 19:32   #6

Thanks for clarifying. Apologies for the confused reply GordMay. Being new to the site, I was not aware of the layout.

Re your tips tkeithlu, I have owned a powered cruiser in the past and have decided for this venture I will sail. I am not in a hurry and conscious of running costs.

I have booked a cat sail charter for mid this year for 10 days which will be a good test.

Cheers guys

Tags
cruising