Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 18:14   #46

Thanks CSYMan. That answers several questions.

I have another question about sailing this boat. Not sure if it belongs on another thread.

How best to tack with the cutter rig?
How do you get the jib clew around the stay? The P.O. said he furled it enough to get it to slip to the other side, but that's nearly all the way and takes some time. Otherwise it seems to require running on deck and doing it by hand. Time consuming, dangerous, and a pain with no autopilot. (I am referring to solo sailing).

I have considered putting a bigger genoa on, and pulling the stay back to the mast, ready to re-rig in case of high winds (It's not roller furling)
I haven't worked out how to pull the stay back to the mast yet either.

Also, under lighter winds (5-20 or 25 kts) does the staysail add much to the speed?

Emily seems to be setup for a spinnaker. Has all tackle, just missing the sail. Anybody have experience with a spinnaker-like sail on the CSY 33?

I have not dove into my possibly leaky water tank yet, but there is a filter under the sink. I haven't gotten sick yet, but mostly just use for washing.

I will definitely stop by Ft. Lauderdale for some rum with you. Expect me about November.
chienbizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 19:32   #47
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Well we don't tack much...
A lot of my sailing is on just one tack, say from Florida to the Bahamas and back.
The few times we tack the jib will sometimes clear the inner stay by itself, other times one of us just walks up on the fordeck and "help" the sail over to the other side. No big deal.

In lighter winds the stays'l is good to have as you add total canvas area to produce more power. Also in stronger winds we use the stays'l and a reefed main with the jib rolled all the way in. Gives ya good flexibility it does.

I did have spinnaker but sold it on e-bay some 4 or 5 years ago.
Too much hassle to launch it and with a fat heavy boat I would rather crank up the engine than than mess with any light -air sails, she would not move much anyway...That was the theory back then, now with diesel costing $5.00 in Florida I may reconsider...

All in all I am happy with the sail-suit on my boat, but the main is getting old and baggy (like the owner) and could use a replacement, this time with more roach.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:19   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
How best to tack with the cutter rig?
The first step is to back wind it more than you would with a sloop. You have to have something to force it through the slot.

This works fine when the wind is not light. Early on with our 33 we added a tacking line. I ran a second set of furling blocks and added a block on a short lead forward on the bow roller just aft of the forestay. There was a pad eye there and it was easy. The tacking line then exits the last furling block and goes through the new block then to the clew. The short lead gives a fair pull to the clew from each tack. This gives you a line forward to pull the clew past the inner forestay when it hangs. In light air the bowline knots on the clew hang up on the inner stay so this line lets you pull it forward. Once the clew is past you are able to tack the sail. With enough wind the bulk of the sail through the slot carries the rest. You may have to over tack a bit at first to boost the power.

The tacking line works much of the time, but I found I needed it less as we got better at tacking. Funny what a lot of practice can do. You have to watch that line as well. Extra lines foul on anything they can. Once in a great while you get burned and foul the tacking line and have to go forward. That would be the down side. I used a bright all red line about the same size as the furling line. It does not pull much load and you should never need a winch on it. You just pull some of the slack out as the sail tacks then be sure to let it out and not have any tension on it. Practice with two lines takes a bit of time. It saves going forward some times when you would rather not.

The slot on the 33 is not as big as on larger cutters so it shows the difficulty more often. Adding a bigger genoa is not a bad idea as in light air you need it. This makes the tacking problem a little worse. You get better effort from a larger Genoa than a bigger main. I'll also agree on the staysail. Put on the biggest one that will fit. In heavy winds or anything forward of a beam reach they are handy little sails. Even on a nice beam reach they can add 1/2 knot.

If you can get a decent staysail you can pull in the genoa and use the stay sail instead when over powered, If you reef the main once or twice the boat handles nice. This would work well in winds over 30 some odd knots. In large chop your engine may not have as much kick. The shorter water line tends to be the disadvantage. With sails properly trimmed you can sail with more power than with the engine.

Our friend Max will sail his 33 singlehanded in anything with the staysail alone and go to bed. The boat takes far more than you might think. If you have trouble holding the wheel, add a reef in the main. It's usually the first clue. Reef at 18 knots and the second depending on sea state at about 30. In too much wind you can lay it over 45 degrees easily. I've flow all the sails in a heavy chop with 28 knots of wind on a close haul. The large bow will part the waves and keep you dry if you generate enough power. The screams from the Admiral were ear splitting. You don't need to do this. There are things more dangerous than the sea.

You need to try a little bit of everything so you get to know how things work. It's true in any boat and it takes a while to sail all the different conditions possible. Learning cutters adds even more. The basics of sail trim all are true but the details of each take a while to feel comfortable. If the ride is too hard you need to make an adjustment.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 23:34   #49

Boat: CSY33
water tanks on CSY 33

Going back to the questions about the water tanks, I have posted pictures of the 4 access ports on my 33. And a series of pictures taken by passing a digital camera down through the ports and scanning the interior.

You can readily see their method of fabricating the tanks by walling off sections between the hull and the cabin sole. Also the aged caulking is apparent. These tanks need a real severe scrubbing! I'm in no hurry to get to them. I expect it will be one of those tasks that just keeps on going... sure the caulking with be coming loose...
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 23:41   #50

Boat: CSY33
I have also posted pix from when I installed a New Found Metals Tri Matrix port. Had to cut through the bulkhead from the galley to the cockpit. The layup is at least a half inch thick there!

I put the port in because I had been on 33's that had one there, and knew it made a big difference in the interior. It is a lot nicer when working in the galley to have a port, especially an opening one, on that aft bulkhead.

I went with the Tri Matrix over a stainless or bronze because the price was substantially less, and given the location of the port I did not feel safety was comprimised.
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 06:19   #51
edh

csy-33 "Sandy Lee"

Greetings,
I'm also the owner of a CSY-33 located in Reedville, VA on the Chesapeake. She's a 1980 and I've had her for about 4 years. Just finished putting in a new Westerbeke 35D along with a Campbell 3 blade prop. Very happy with the setup. That pretty much completes the rehab I'd planned (along with replacing the electronics, sails, dodger, running and standing rigging, etc.). Cosmetics continue to be a work in progress. Never encountered any blistering or chainplate problems.
While a bit slow sailor in light winds, I think the 33's are solid, safe and comfortable cruisers and generally worth spending the money to fix up. As noted by others she's quite roomy for a 33ft. and easy to handle. One change we made was to remove the salon table (put in one that slides under a settee). Found that to be a great change and seldom use the replacement.
My wife and I sailed to the east coast from Calif. on a previous boat we owned (56ft ketch) and after sailing this boat in the Gulf of Mex, mid/southern Atlantic coast and the Chesapeake think the CSY-33 is a delight.

Ed
edh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 07:11   #52

Hi edh.

Got pictures of your boat?
What is the hull #, deep or shoal keel, etc?

D
Old 17-06-2008, 15:01   #53

Trekka, thanks for the photos. Based on how mine is leaking it must be bad caulk at the top where the FRP sole attaches to the hull/tank. It looks like a nearly impossible job to get in there, clean it and seal it up. (without cutting new inspection ports in the sole)

Edh. Thanks for your comments too. It's nice to hear so many people appreciate the boat.
I'd be interested like CSYman to see some pics and know more about it.
Does yours have a V drive?
Mine does need quite a bit of work. Glad to know so many people think its worth it.
What kind of ketch did you have before and why do you appreciate the CSY33 more?

Issues I'm having right now are
I need a depth sounder (thinking Uniden?)
Autopilot (Hear unhappiness with Raymarine so am shy of it)
Any feedback on autopilots or depth sounders?
chienbizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 17:00   #54

Issues these days..?

Yup., my CSY 33 is up on the hard rigth now.
Bad cutless bearing problem and bad sea-cock/thru-hull problem going on.

These boats were built almost 30 years ago and the factory used liberal amounts of 3M-5200 adhesive sealant.
Getting that stuff off is hard work and this week, my turn once again.

It has been 3 years since last haul and I have been getting away with murder...Trinidad Blue-Pro was the secret.
Old 18-06-2008, 16:14   #55
edh

My previous boat was a custom (for one of the prior owners) along the lines of a Swan. As to my CSY, it does have a Walters V-drive. If not already done so, you might check with the factory (they're on the net) about having yours rebuilt or replaced. As to an autopilot, I installed a Raymarine which is wheel mounted and found it to be quite satisfactory for coastal and Bay sailing. Can't say I prefer the CSY to the prior boat (current owner has it in Greece), not a fair comparison, but CSY is certainly a capable boat and much easier to handle. If I planned on crossing oceans again I'd probably go on something other than the CSY, although I've no doubt it would make it. Understand others have done it several times.
edh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 17:28   #56

Quote:
As to my CSY, it does have a Walters V-drive. If not already done so, you might check with the factory (they're on the net) about having yours rebuilt or replaced.
I don't have the V-drive, so no need to contact the factory, my tranny is doing fine.

Quote:
Can't say I prefer the CSY to the prior boat (current owner has it in Greece), not a fair comparison, but CSY is certainly a capable boat and much easier to handle. If I planned on crossing oceans again I'd probably go on something other than the CSY, although I've no doubt it would make it. Understand others have done it several times.
Comparing a Swan to a CSY is like comparing a Porche to a Cadillac.
Not comparison at all, different animals.
Many CSYs have been crossing big oceans, my 33 have been across the Atlantic twice some 20 years ago, and the previous owner had no complaints and no problems..Can't ask for more than that.

My previous boat was a Bill Tripp Jr. Bermuda 44 yawl, a full-blooded race boat and she could sail the daylight out of anything on a single keel, hitting 12 knots on occasion.
Sweet boat, but for a long term relationship, I prefer the CSY.

Different strokes, etc.
Old 29-06-2008, 05:03   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navegar41 View Post
Hello to all!
Yesterday was my first visit aboard a CSY 33 and I was very impressed! Traveled to Annapolis,arrived unannouced but was invited aboard by Super-nice folks living aboard the last CSY 33 made and was given the Grand Tour! They are "heading south" when their time comes! Great plan and a great boat! Having just sold my last boat I am now searching for my next! A CSY 33!
Build like a Tank, large cockpit, secure galley, plenty of headroom and beam the CSY 33 for me is perfect! It feels great having made the decision to find one and the current prices will not brake the bank as they say!
Chienbizarre, you looked at Range that is on yachtworld, one of 4 listed. There are only two pictures in the listing do you remember if the companionway on Range is the wide version? You mentioned she is neglected. How much of a project is she? I have to the trip to Florida from Maryland to look at the 33s there and would like to have some idea of what the conditions of the 33s are in the area. I don't mind "a project" boat. Any help are this regard? Fairwinds and thanks a mil! Jim
Jim, thanx for the kind words - we enjoyed meeting you too. Now we want details! How did your trip go and are you a CSY33 owner yet?
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 13:55   #58

Boat: CSY 33 Hull #10 - Sonrae
Send a message via Yahoo to alambertfl
Finally Did It!

Well, after being off the forum for a good while trying to make up my mind what kind of boat to purchase, I narrowed my selections down to a Pearson 365 and the CSY 33. After wallowing on the fence for what seems like forever, I made an offer on the CSY33 in Jacksonville,FL, Damn Yankee. It's a direct drive with the 47 horse engine. It needs quite a bit of work, but since there are now only 3 left on the market, I figured I had better make a move before there were none. The owner has accepted my offer subject to survey, sea trial, etc. Hopefully, we will be able to close soon. I know that others looked at this boat and know that it needs lots of cosmetic work, so I will be seeking advice as things move forward, I am sure. I have been reading many of the email posts on Topica.com and feel I have a good idea of what to look for. My major concerns are the rudder, engine, chain plates, etc. I am hoping to be able to use it without serious problems, at least not in the beginning. Having owned sailboats previously, I realize that there is always work to do on them.
My wife and I are excited about this boat, even though I did like the Pearson 365. The CSY just seems to fit better. We are going to try to begin our cruise in January 09, assuming we can get the boat ready by then. If any of you other owners ever come through the Jacksonville area, I hope you will make contact. We look forward to becoming members of the CSY family and continuing the fellowship of kindred spirits.

Sonny Lambert
The boat will be renamed SONRAE
alambertfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 14:21   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Sonny,

Good luck to you and I'm sure the hardwork will yield many quiet anchorages. You should find quite a few CSY owners in FL as well as beyond.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:59   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Congratulations Sonny (& Rae?) on your anticipated acquisition of “SONRAE”.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
csy, csy 33