Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2010, 03:11   #31

we like the look of the 80's model c&c yachts around 44' - any good?
seachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 03:21   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Any boat can cross the pacific...if the conditions are good. But ANY boat can run into very big trouble if faced with deteriorating conditions and an inexperienced crew. Something to think about when planning on an ocean crossing. I would say the MOST important piece of equipment in a long passage is experience & knowledge.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 04:41   #33

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
We owned a Beneteau and now own an Amel and are more than half way around starting in the Caribbean. I am not going to get in a brand discussion because I am way too prejudiced.

However, the best advise I can give you is to look in Malaysia and Thailand. Thailand is the "end of the line" for many Circumnavigators. They tend to give up here rather than go to S. Africa or past the Somali Pirates in the Gulf of Aden.

There are plenty of boats for sale from Singapore north to Phuket. All are fully equipped for cruising. Here in Rebak Marina, Langkawi, Malaysia there are 2 Hunters, at least 1 Beneteau, at least 1 Island Packet, and at least 15 other boats for sale. Most of these boats are completely equipped for cruising...water makers, etc. Some of the boats for sale are US built and may qualify for the 5% import duty exemption. A broker can help you with an off-shore sale US to AU. Definitely a buyers market here.

I can't recommend a broker, but that should not be too hard. Possibly the marina here can help you with a list of boats for sale.

Best,

Bill
s/v BeBe, Amel 53
Currently Rebak Marina, Langkawi, Malaysia
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 04:43   #34

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
LMAO.... Shane... you should take a look at some of the custom built Jongerts that were built.... the height of luxury... and some were REAL SAILBOATS as well... usually 17metres+....

Although a bit off topic, your suggestion has definitely made me feel a lot better about my choice of a steel boat. I am not a gambler, but they are nearly enough to convince me to buy the odd lottery ticket. Not that I am too unhappy with my uncomplicated old girl!

The Traditional Line
The Jongert Traditional Line is famous for its comfort, looks and timeless appeal. With their classic clipper bows, low freeboards, ketch rigs and stern windows, these yachts exude a classic nautical atmosphere.

See, http://www.jongert.nl/yachts/?lijst=traditional

And who said steel boats don’t hold their value. The following is the best priced I could find! Most of the others were in an entirely different league.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=1463969&ybw=&units=F eet&access=Public&listing_id=29344&url=

It really just shows there are so many other makers of boats out there who do not get the overall attention of the heavily marketed production boats. Here is a link to another quality glass European manufacturer that seems to rarely get a mention. There are often some well priced boats of other reputable makes on their used brokerage. Sunbeam Yachts

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	20432  
Old 23-10-2010, 05:01   #35

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
However, the best advise I can give you is to look in Malaysia and Thailand. Thailand is the "end of the line" for many Circumnavigators. They tend to give up here rather than go to S. Africa or past the Somali Pirates in the Gulf of Aden.
And a heck of a lot easier sail home?
Old 23-10-2010, 07:28   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, seachange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seachange View Post
... 4. we wish that we could get one in Aus but given that the US has 10 times our population it wins hands down for choice & availability. Which means that we need to get it home Safely. Perhaps the Pacific run is "champagne" at the right time of year?!? we want to sail the Pacific but it seems that simply getting the boat there changes the requirements of 'needs'.

5. Is there any actual safety issues with sailing a production yacht across the Pacific or is it purely a comfort issue? :confused ...
Check these out:

The Coconut Milk Run

Felicity - Articles
http://www.svfelicity.com/articles/milkrun.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 08:30   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

If you fancy a fixer upper take a look at this S&S 39ftr...
Pippen Marine

Also if not your type it may be someone else's 'DreamBoat' at $50KAus.....

But if you've the $'s I definitly recommend one of these.....
http://pippenmarine.com/ed.php?deale..._mono&de=64497

Phil

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 10:45   #38
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
One was an S&S 47footer; a McIntosh 47 cutter sloop; and a J44

By the way, for folks inexperienced with boats it would be a harder task to maintain on old boat, or get a fixer-upper ready for sea.

In a thread "should I get wood or fiberglass" my response was "If you have to ask, then get fiberglass". My boat just happened to be well taken care of and the builder covered the strip plank hull with fiberglass, so I have the best of both worlds.
wolfenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 12:08   #39
Eternal Member

For those that think they can have all the comforts and amenities of a land home on a boat they are in for quite a shock, I am a live aboard and this doesn't happen at the docks. But to expect it to happen while cruising the Pacific is ludicrous. My first blue water sail we were lucky to get a hot meal two days in a row.
On the same sail we had no electrical power due to a very small problem that could only be fixed back in "civilization". It doesn't take much for an electrical system and all it's related gadgets and gizmos to go down. Before someone invests huge amounts of money trying to take civilization with them, they should step back and take a good hard look at what they really need....maybe even trying sailing there first.
Old 23-10-2010, 13:20   #40
Eternal Member

Make sure that if the failure of a component and/or system(out in the middle of no where) could jeopardize your life that you have a back up....then think "Do I really need that component to begin with, what else could I use that space and money for".
Old 23-10-2010, 14:37   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Also if not your type it may be someone else's 'DreamBoat' at $50KAus.....

But if you've the $'s I definitly recommend one of these.....
Pippen Marine

Phil
Moody, Morris; more extremely well built American boats with bluewater capabilities and usually well out of the average person’s price range ?

Judging by the double sinks and chopping space in the one in your link she is fit for a chef. Hey, I am a trade qualified chef and would not be complaining. The only thing I am likely to start suffering is a bit of boat envy. Thankfully Wolfenzee has dumped a few words of wisdom to keep the symptoms at bay.

As per Bill’s advic that’s one nice boat that has obviously been well outfitted, is American made (?) and is a lot closer to home.

Hey, I am not getting addicted to the net or shopping. I got my dive in yesterday at four good plate fish for five shoots. It is just it has turned nasty southerly late winter conditions over here and it is raining cats and dogs!
Old 23-10-2010, 15:38   #42

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:

For Seachange: Watermakers can cost $10,000 to $15,000 to install a new one with good water capacity to shower (properly) daily. But yes, one would be fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark,
The Sydney boat show didn't have much in the way of water makers this year... just one, a new import... French I think...
Entry level was around $6000 plus installation which they indicated would make it a 9-10k purchase all up.
BUT... I've read in other threads and forums where cruisers have installed their own and come out at 4-5k, depending on the brand and model, and quite a few who have made their own... seems it's really just an assembly of bits... with a 2,500 - 3,500 spend.
Someone wrote a DYI book he flogs on the net, but the 'how to...' is available free... which has made him a bit narkie, and he of course says his is better etc. etc.

I think it won't be long before it's pretty standard for longer term cruisers..

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 15:53   #43
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Entry level was around $6000 plus installation which they indicated would make it a 9-10k purchase all up.

Vic
And a German guy I met in France paid 20,000 euros for his! Thats $29,000.
A Seafari Escape with enough dribble to make it worthwhile is $15,000 installed and Beneteau Sydney offer watermakers on their new boats at $18,000

Now, I've looked at the instalation on thse things and they are far beyond me. Remember Dirty Harry: "A mans gotta know his limitations!"

So my figures arn't too far wrong.

Another point... buy $5,000 worth of unbranded parts delivered from the other side of the world/country for a self install and the damn thing doesnt work. Who you gunna call?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 16:05   #44
Eternal Member

Quote:
And a German guy I met in France paid 20,000 euros for his! Thats $29,000.
A Seafari Escape with enough dribble to make it worthwhile is $15,000 installed and Beneteau Sydney offer watermakers on their new boats at $18,000

Now, I've looked at the instalation on thse things and they are far beyond me. Remember Dirty Harry: "A mans gotta know his limitations!"

So my figures arn't too far wrong.

Another point... buy $5,000 worth of unbranded parts delivered from the other side of the world/country for a self install and the damn thing doesnt work. Who you gunna call?

Buy a fancy name brand water maker and have a qualified technician install it and you are on the other side of the world yourself or out in the middle of the ocean when it decides not to work....Who you gunna call?
Old 23-10-2010, 16:32   #45

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, Seacharge. Don't forget to keep an eye on the other side of the Tasman for boats that meet your criteria. In regards to watermakers, if you end buying a boat with one that hasn't been used for a long period of time, it may require some attention to get it back producing good quality fresh water, like replacing the membranes or overhauling a pump. I just replacd the valves and seals in my unit and it should be "good as gold" for the next couple of decades. All the best. Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Watermaker1.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	425.4 KB
ID:	20445  
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard