Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2015, 08:50   #16

Boat: Tartan TOCK
Re: Creative layouts

Wow! thanks for all the replies! And thanks for the input on the Endeavor 37. Those pictures were better than most of the photos in the ads I've looked at. Tough to get a good sense of whether the rear port berth is usable but it looks pretty good in that picture. I also really like the Gozzard layouts. I'll have to take a look at those.

And, I should have mentioned, as someone brought up, that our budget is relatively low. I'd say 50k would be the highest and that's pushing it, so looking at late 70's to 80's, but I'm also just interested to see some interesting layouts.

Funny, I've seen some layouts with the head up front and I thought it was a good use of space, but I didn't think about using it underway...good advice! And cockpit sleepability is a good thing to keep an eye on too!
Hard A Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:03   #17

There are lots of centre cockpits of that vintage that have excellent privacy separation for that price and size. Mom and dad in the aft cabin and peewee in the Vbirth.

Check centre cockpits.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:30   #18

Boat: Catalina 34

As has been mentioned, Gozzards and the IP Estero forgo the v-berth in favor of v-shaped settee. But these are nowhere near your ~$50k budget.

Other non-traditional cabin layouts potentially available within your budget:

-Hinterhoeller Nonsuch 30/33/36
-Tiburon (Cabo Rico) 36
-Hans Christian 33t (Pullman to port, head forward)
Old 09-03-2015, 09:47   #19

The Endeavor 37 designs are different for sure. Also, there are some Passports and Hans Christians that have a head forward and different layouts. Not sure if the 37 came that way or not.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:48   #20

Irwin 37. Nearly all of them would fall into your price range. Most 80s vintage Hunters over 35' are 2 or 3 cabin layouts and would fall into your price range.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:57   #21

Boat: Tartan TOCK

The Islander Freeport 36 looks interesting and I really like the layout of the Catalina 36 with the small table on the starboard side of the saloon, but I have some misgivings about the relatively deep draft and rudder without skeg of any kind on the Catalinas...I wish there was a heavier displacement option with that layout...
Hard A Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:11   #22

Passport 37, forward head layout:

Old 10-03-2015, 09:27   #23

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Irwin 37 CC is pretty comfy too as are somewhat larger Irwin's. Their designs make great use of space.

http://www.boatus.com/boatreviews/sail/Irwin37.asp

Gulfstar has some good layouts too.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:55   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard A Lee View Post
The Islander Freeport 36 looks interesting and I really like the layout of the Catalina 36 with the small table on the starboard side of the saloon, but I have some misgivings about the relatively deep draft and rudder without skeg of any kind on the Catalinas...I wish there was a heavier displacement option with that layout...
The C36 is an essentially sistership to our C34s. With a completely different layout down below, head forward between the V berth and saloon. Identical systems and rigs.

You have to be careful about your selections, since the galley in the C36 is right at the base of the companionway stairs, and the stairs are much steeper than in my boat. That little device between your legs below your belt might be in danger.

Great boats, though.

You actually should be able to find a layout like that in other boats with different underbodies, since it is by far a more traditional layout than our aft head design.

Many C36 skippers fold away that little table for the duration, 'cuz it eliminates a nice settee.

Your boat, your choice.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:03   #25

Boat: Hunter 36

It would be harder with the budget you have, but why not look at catamarans? No V-berths at all!

Another option is to consider joint ownership of a vessel.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:11   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
It would be harder with the budget you have, but why not look at catamarans? No V-berths at all!

Another option is to consider joint ownership of a vessel.
Uhhh... don't many cats have 2 v berths?

Old 11-03-2015, 09:28   #27

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Uhhh... don't many cats have 2 v berths?

Never seen them as severely pointy as the ones on monohulls.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:46   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard A Lee View Post
Wow! thanks for all the replies! And thanks for the input on the Endeavor 37. Those pictures were better than most of the photos in the ads I've looked at. Tough to get a good sense of whether the rear port berth is usable but it looks pretty good in that picture. I also really like the Gozzard layouts. I'll have to take a look at those.

And, I should have mentioned, as someone brought up, that our budget is relatively low. I'd say 50k would be the highest and that's pushing it, so looking at late 70's to 80's, but I'm also just interested to see some interesting layouts.

Funny, I've seen some layouts with the head up front and I thought it was a good use of space, but I didn't think about using it underway...good advice! And cockpit sleepability is a good thing to keep an eye on too!
I had two boats with the head forward. I really liked it, not only was the head large, but I had no trouble using it underway. Of course in a real storm that may not be the case, but had no more trouble than usual in rough weather. One boat had an aft small head under setee in the aft stateroom, we never used it.... just went forward.
and of course remember, .......you sit at anchor maybe 95% of the time!

Old 11-03-2015, 10:01   #29

A second vote for the Mark Ellis designed Niagara 35. Totally unique interior and something about it just feels "right" when you step into the cabin. I wish they had made a stretch version because 35 feet seems just a tad small. I think his Aurora 40 and Niagara 42 have more conventional interiors.
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:06   #30

Had friends who had the Niagara. It was pretty cool. Although traditional looking, it does have a spade rudder if I remember right... so that's something to think about ... depending on which camp you are in on that.
The other thing that was weird about it was as you went down the companionway you ended up with a big bulkhead right in front of you... It felt weird and very cave-ish as opposed to the open concepts of the E37 etc.
Just passing that along.