Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 22:29   #16
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Could Use Some Advice on Fillers

Quote:
Originally Posted by spraygun View Post
I hope I never go to a body shop that uses news papers to fill dents.

You sure do! Those guys are hacks. Newspaper and Bondo is the "Mexican Special".

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 22:42   #17

Boat: Farrier, F-44SC, performance cruising cat

System three quickfair is hard to beat. It's spendy but for me, ease of use makes up any difference in price gained by mixing up your own goop from the multitude of fillers. I wish I knew their formula.

SilverTip QuikFair - System Three Resins, Inc.
vientoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 22:59   #18

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71

So the Duraglass would be good to use on deck after sanding to fill in cracks?
Old 17-08-2013, 06:38   #19
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverChick71 View Post
So the Duraglass would be good to use on deck after sanding to fill in cracks?
Using anything to grind and fill cracks is a mistake. They will come back eventually, guaranteed. They must be ground and glassed for a permanent fix. However, if you must cut corners and simply grind and fill instead of glassing, as so many do, then Duraglass is your number one choice. Much better than epoxy.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 16:08   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
I saw those comments earlier. Grinding down to the glass and seeing the cracks in the glass means damage. So my question is this...(and I realize I sound like a complete novice...I am) When you glass them, do you sand and sand until the cracks disappear and then glass over? Do you cut out a section and make a "patch"? How do you get the thickness uniform?
Old 17-08-2013, 19:59   #21

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverChick71 View Post
I saw those comments earlier. Grinding down to the glass and seeing the cracks in the glass means damage. So my question is this...(and I realize I sound like a complete novice...I am) When you glass them, do you sand and sand until the cracks disappear and then glass over? Do you cut out a section and make a "patch"? How do you get the thickness uniform?
Mum and I use angle grinders and flap discs, grind the area back until the damage disappears. Fiberglass has what I can only describe as a 'healthy' color when there's no cracks in it. You want it to be a gradual slope into the ground area; no deep, thin gashes. Once you get down to the undamaged stuff, you can start applying glass. Here's an example of the area we'd grind relative to the crack (though don't mind the giant void inside, that's probably not going to be under your deck):

Old 17-08-2013, 20:05   #22

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddedger View Post
Atoll is right! Never use anything but epoxy for something that is structural. Epoxy has a superior chemical bond, and if you need to thicken the epoxy for something structural use 403 filler. What ever the case if you don't properly abaid the surface first to give the bond some tooth you're just wasting time and money.
Opps...now you've done it...I said that on another thread and all the scientists came after me (and some weird blow-hard on a power boat). But yes...I prefer epoxy to poly and sleep quite well...thank you.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 22:44   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbaftAndBaffled View Post

Mum and I use angle grinders and flap discs, grind the area back until the damage disappears. Fiberglass has what I can only describe as a 'healthy' color when there's no cracks in it. You want it to be a gradual slope into the ground area; no deep, thin gashes. Once you get down to the undamaged stuff, you can start applying glass. Here's an example of the area we'd grind relative to the crack (though don't mind the giant void inside, that's probably not going to be under your deck):
You haven't stepped on my bow. :-) A cavernous void. :-). But probably not around most of the cracks.
Old 18-08-2013, 03:33   #24

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Everyone has opinions here, doesn't really matter which glass product you use in today's world they are mostly all good. The thing to remember is that you can epoxy over fiberglass but you cannot fiberglass over epoxy; it does not adhere. That's fact. Now opinion, if your structure is fiberglass stay with glass.

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 09:40   #25

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman View Post
Everyone has opinions here, doesn't really matter which glass product you use in today's world they are mostly all good. The thing to remember is that you can epoxy over fiberglass but you cannot fiberglass over epoxy; it does not adhere. That's fact. Now opinion, if your structure is fiberglass stay with glass.
I have absolutely no idea what this means, so here is a picture of a bunny with a pancake on his head!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pancake_bunny.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	65780  
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 09:54   #26

Crack me up!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 20-08-2013, 09:58   #27

Have some West System epoxy along with a selection of the fillers (I like 407 for scratches/chips, 406 to stop epoxy from running).

But cracks need dealing with differently. They nearly always are due to excessive flexing of the area, which means that the area needs re-inforcing with fibreglass ABOVE the original strength, in order to reduce the flex.

"abaftandbaffled" is on the right track, although that area should really have some stiffening added below.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 10:13   #28

I'll just add that although cracks may be too much flexing, often times the gelcoat in the area had been applied too thick in corners and such. If you are going to do a gelcoat match, polyester resin/glass has to be used, because as fore-mentioned, gelcoat cannot go over epoxy. If the area is truly flexing, a permanent support system should be added to the inside of the boat. On more than one occasion I needed to ad a decorative knee or Mahogany laminated beam.
Old 20-08-2013, 16:28   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post

I have absolutely no idea what this means, so here is a picture of a bunny with a pancake on his head!
HAHAHA! I just spit my coffee thru my nose and my boyfriend gave me "the look" because I couldn't stop laughing.

Don Casey talks about reinforcing below as well. Since I ripped the headliner out...that works for me! Love his books. Pictures! I've always said "Do it right or do it twice." I want the best fix. In sure some trial and error will be involved but appreciate all the input (and comic relief)
Old 21-08-2013, 05:02   #30

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
It means anything will stick the pancake on the bunnies head LMFAO

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote