Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2017, 22:23   #16

Re: Costs of cruising strictly mooring/marina and country entry fees...

Too many people fall for that 40/40/40 scam.

The one where you work 40 hours a week for 40 years and only get to keep 40% of what you earn.
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 23:47   #17

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Regarding Chile... Do not try and enter the eastern end of Estrecho de Magallanes.... go down through Le Maire and into the Beagle. No entry fees at present although if you have a US or Aust passport you may get hit with a reciprocity fee of about $130 but in my experience that only happens if you enter through Santiago airport.
When you apply for your first Zarpe out of Williams you will have to pay for your 'Orden de Ingreso' ( 'light dues' ) which will set you back US$26.88 .. Señalización Maritima $18.88, Naves Extranjeras entre 0 y 25 TRG $8.00 ...thats it.

Peru??? Avoid!!!!!!
Very expensive as they charge you 'big ship' rates... its in the thousands.. and you need to employ a 'big ship' agent. I got a quote in 2013... went to Tahiti instead.....
Old 18-07-2017, 00:10   #18

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
I'll be going from England to Ireland (maybe) maybe Isle of Man (is there even a seperate fee for this or is it treated as UK? France, Spain, Portugal and then, Canaries and Cape Verdes before the Caribbean, Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Mexico USA and then Back to Canada.
Here is one thing that has not been mentioned, I think:

You are trying to cover an awful lot of places in one go...

The Caribbean alone can probably keep you busy and happy for years. There is so much to see. Thousands of places to go. So why the rush to get through another half-dozen countries?

I've learned the hard way that trying to cover so much ground is likely to backfire. You might end up stressed, worried, and unable to enjoy. You'll easily miss out on amazing opportunities along the way.

As you're on a budget, and the Caribbean is beautiful and cheap, I'd suggest just to aim to go there. That's a big project in itself, with the big pond and all.

Once there, relax.

After that, consider new goals.
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 00:59   #19

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I have just been reminded by the bosun that only Australians and Mexicans get hit with a reciprocity fee at Santiago at present.
Old 18-07-2017, 03:50   #20
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
I didn't find Noonsite overly helpful TBH. It gave a general idea of what cruising is like in the country but no specific info on fees typically. No matter, I'm sure I can find a few people who'll know as most of the countries I'm going to are large so there'll be many opportunities.
Detailed information on clearing in and fees is there for countries all over the globe. You must not have looked in the right place.
Old 19-07-2017, 19:15   #21

Boat: Albin Vega

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibstay View Post
Too many people fall for that 40/40/40 scam.

The one where you work 40 hours a week for 40 years and only get to keep 40% of what you earn.

Agreed and they call me crazy, haha.
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 19:17   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Detailed information on clearing in and fees is there for countries all over the globe. You must not have looked in the right place.
I clicked on the "Countries" Tab and selected the ones I expect to visit. Mighyt you be willing to share with me how you find detailed info on clearing in fees etc?
Old 19-07-2017, 19:20   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zven View Post
Here is one thing that has not been mentioned, I think:

You are trying to cover an awful lot of places in one go...

The Caribbean alone can probably keep you busy and happy for years. There is so much to see. Thousands of places to go. So why the rush to get through another half-dozen countries?

I've learned the hard way that trying to cover so much ground is likely to backfire. You might end up stressed, worried, and unable to enjoy. You'll easily miss out on amazing opportunities along the way.

As you're on a budget, and the Caribbean is beautiful and cheap, I'd suggest just to aim to go there. That's a big project in itself, with the big pond and all.

Once there, relax.

After that, consider new goals.
Hah yeah I won't be rushing at all, like I said, if I see something I want to check out, I'll check it out. You're probably right about the Caribbean, I'll probably spend a lot of time there. Probably the least dodgy region to leave a boat on hard standing while going home to make more money plus lots of yacht services.
Old 19-07-2017, 19:23   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Regarding Chile... Do not try and enter the eastern end of Estrecho de Magallanes.... go down through Le Maire and into the Beagle. No entry fees at present although if you have a US or Aust passport you may get hit with a reciprocity fee of about $130 but in my experience that only happens if you enter through Santiago airport.
When you apply for your first Zarpe out of Williams you will have to pay for your 'Orden de Ingreso' ( 'light dues' ) which will set you back US$26.88 .. Señalización Maritima $18.88, Naves Extranjeras entre 0 y 25 TRG $8.00 ...thats it.

Peru??? Avoid!!!!!!
Very expensive as they charge you 'big ship' rates... its in the thousands.. and you need to employ a 'big ship' agent. I got a quote in 2013... went to Tahiti instead.....

Wow, thanks for the info. I'm starting to think my previous expectations of route will be quite different in reality. Time will tell.
Old 19-07-2017, 19:29   #25

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
Wow, I will definitely mind my Ps and Qs then!

I didn't find Noonsite overly helpful TBH. It gave a general idea of what cruising is like in the country but no specific info on fees typically. No matter, I'm sure I can find a few people who'll know as most of the countries I'm going to are large so there'll be many opportunities.
It is not quite as simple as you think. Sometimes the fees charged in one port of entry are not the same as in another. Sometimes cruiser A gets hit with a fee while cruiser B who enters the next day does not. Fiji had a sometimes fee for boat fumigation (several hundred dollars if I remember correctly). A Kiwi boat got hit while all the other boats who entered did not. We did the country entry but were told the fumigation inspector would come to visit our boat at some point. If we wanted we could phone his/her office and make an appointment. That did not happen and the guy never did come to do his inspection. When we did the exit they wanted to see the fumigation certificate and we explained the situation. They understood and accepted our explanation. Sometimes these things are just bureaucracy and sometimes there is graft involved. One boat captain in Fiji was asked by the police to talk to some anti-corruption officer about how they were treated and whether the charges were honest or not (they were apparently). You just roll with the punches and smile and show them lots of paperwork. In our experience the French places are easiest cheapest and Spanish (or formerly Spanish) places are the most complex and often pricey. The existence of 'internal zarpes' (exit documents) to go from one port to another is a particular PITA to me. The British (and former British) are somewhere in the middle - often very bureaucratic, but middling on costs.

The costs of the bureaucracy are not that bad with a few exceptions. This factor certainly should not be a major consideration on where you go.
Old 19-07-2017, 20:12   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
It is not quite as simple as you think. Sometimes the fees charged in one port of entry are not the same as in another. Sometimes cruiser A gets hit with a fee while cruiser B who enters the next day does not. Fiji had a sometimes fee for boat fumigation (several hundred dollars if I remember correctly). A Kiwi boat got hit while all the other boats who entered did not. We did the country entry but were told the fumigation inspector would come to visit our boat at some point. If we wanted we could phone his/her office and make an appointment. That did not happen and the guy never did come to do his inspection. When we did the exit they wanted to see the fumigation certificate and we explained the situation. They understood and accepted our explanation. Sometimes these things are just bureaucracy and sometimes there is graft involved. One boat captain in Fiji was asked by the police to talk to some anti-corruption officer about how they were treated and whether the charges were honest or not (they were apparently). You just roll with the punches and smile and show them lots of paperwork. In our experience the French places are easiest cheapest and Spanish (or formerly Spanish) places are the most complex and often pricey. The existence of 'internal zarpes' (exit documents) to go from one port to another is a particular PITA to me. The British (and former British) are somewhere in the middle - often very bureaucratic, but middling on costs.

The costs of the bureaucracy are not that bad with a few exceptions. This factor certainly should not be a major consideration on where you go.
Well that's welcome news although I suppose I will visit anywhere that appeals regardless of bureaucratic hassles, only live once.
Old 19-07-2017, 20:17   #27

Boat: Outbound 44

Noonsite really is the place to go. Select the country you are interested in, then select the Formalities tab. Read the info and then check the comments at the bottom of the page for possible updates. Here's a paragraph from the Brasil formalties page
Quote:
. There are some ports where it is best for yachts to make their initial check in; Recife, Salvador, Rio de Janeiro, Paranagua and Rio Grande. These harbours are used to yachts checking in, while other harbours are more used to ships which use an agent. This can cost between 500 & 1000R. Cruisers report that Angra dos Reis (South of Rio) or Capodelo (North of Recife) have the most friendly officials.
Then find yourself a currency converter and convert to your preferred gold.
Old 21-07-2017, 20:53   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Noonsite really is the place to go. Select the country you are interested in, then select the Formalities tab. Read the info and then check the comments at the bottom of the page for possible updates. Here's a paragraph from the Brasil formalties page

Then find yourself a currency converter and convert to your preferred gold.
Hey, thanks I will check that out!
Old 25-07-2017, 15:18   #29

Boat: SJ 21

Check out https://attilavedo.wordpress.com. Check his blog/vlog he left Ireland in a 22' Hurley on the same course across the Atlantic you speak of. A hell of a trip. He transited Panama and last I read he was in Ecuador.
majones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 02:21   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I wouldn't miss out the Isle of Man as its a great place to spend a couple of days. Yes it has big tides, but then the UK does as we are on the NW corner of a continent. You just need a couple of long ropes, places like Peel are true sailing harbours not pussyfooting around in marinas.

Equally I wouldn't sail past Strangford lough with its amazing tides and whirlpools you can sail across. Google it and then go.

Finally whats the rush? the Atlantic coast has some superb cruising grounds and out of the way places no one is going to bother you. Certainly cheap if you avoid marinas. You need a couple of the Atlantic Pilot Guides for starters.

Pete

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rc...02875105880016
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, fees, mooring