Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2016, 08:26   #1

Costal cruising at retirement

Hello all new member here..My wife and I are new owners of an 1998 Oceanis 36cc...Our plan is to cruise the ICW, US east coast and eventually make our way to the Caribbean when we retire in 3 years..Our experience consist of 20 years of lake sailing. My question is do we have the boat that will allow us to fulfill our desires? I know that I will need to add and update equipment. Our hope is that this boat will work for us since it will be paid for by the time we retire. I'm also a little concerned if age 65 is maybe to old to consider such an undertaking? Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

How do I change my forum user name? Thanks
Beneteau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 08:33   #2
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Costal cruising at retirement

[QUOTE=Beneteau1954;2018690 My question is do we have the boat that will allow us to fulfill our desires? I know that I will need to add and update equipment............. I'm also a little concerned if age 65 is maybe to old to consider such an undertaking? Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

How do I change my forum user name? Thanks[/QUOTE]

Of course it is! Make it easier on yourself and tune out all the response noise that will suggest it isn't.

Only too old if you feel it is.

PM a moderator.

Have fun!
Old 17-01-2016, 08:37   #3

Boat: Selene 47

Welcome! Regarding age, only you can determine if your capable. Plenty of people are out there and cruising. Lots of older couples and single people are doing it so why not you! Sailboats are a bit more work but set your boat up right and you'll enjoy it. And your gonna meet and make a lot of new friends along the way.
Best of luck!
CrustyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 08:38   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi B1954 and welcome to the forum.

First, to change your name contact the forum moderators. If you're reading this post you can scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and find a menu bar going across the page. First option is "Contact Us". Click on that and send your request.

Regarding the suitability of your boat for the cruising you plan, absolutely. Is your boat one to go bounce off reefs with impunity, crash into icebergs, flip over in a hurricane or similar extreme sports? Well no, but few boats are. With a modicum of care and attention to weather and navigation your Beneteau will be just fine.

Bottom line, do you like the boat, the rig, the layout? If so then you're good to go.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 08:57   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Welcome to CF Mr Bene !

As skip says above... exactly..

I'll PM you with your name change request...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 09:06   #6

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

B1954, my wife and I are living aboard and cruising on the West Coast. We are 67 and 69 and enjoying life every day. Lots of people older than we are doing what they enjoy.

Of course age and health are related and health issues can be a serious limitation. That said, I think cruising in retirement is more about about attitude than age. We don't move as fast as we once did. We aren't as strong and we don't heal as quickly as we once did. But we have as great an appreciation for life and beauty and adventure as we did. Wisdom? I don't know, but we have more experience now. And, as they say, "if not now, when." Go live your life and enjoy every day.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 09:16   #7

Boat: Lagoon 40

Absolutely - you have a fine boat for what you are planning to do. My advice would be to spend some time on the lake getting the boat ready and making sure you know your systems. Then do a little research about where you want to go and on what timeline. Blogs are a great source of "real" information and most posters will share info and answer questions. Guide books are also a good source. We did a cruise in 2014 down the east coast and to the Bahamas (7 months) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had two take-aways from our experience: (i) spend time getting the boat ready, but set a timeline as everything will never be finished; and (ii) go as early as you can. I met so many people on my trip that just wished they had done it earlier.

Neil
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 09:19   #8

Boat: Still Looking

Sir Francis Chichester Circumnavigated when he was in his 70's and I think it was non stop or very limited stops. And he was alone.
savell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 09:23   #9

Boat: Scout 30

Regarding your age, 65 is only too old if you're dead. Regarding your boat, there are people cruising in just about every kind of boat you can imagine & yours is nicer than most. Kind of a deep draft for Florida & the Bahamas but many do it with more. I'd consider adding a permanent roof over the cockpit & davits if you don't already have them. Bon voyage!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 09:35   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneteau1954 View Post
Hello all new member here..My wife and I are new owners of an 1998 Oceanis 36cc...Our plan is to cruise the ICW, US east coast and eventually make our way to the Caribbean when we retire in 3 years..Our experience consist of 20 years of lake sailing. My question is do we have the boat that will allow us to fulfill our desires? I know that I will need to add and update equipment. Our hope is that this boat will work for us since it will be paid for by the time we retire. I'm also a little concerned if age 65 is maybe to old to consider such an undertaking? Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

How do I change my forum user name? Thanks
Wife and I are 70 and 68 respectively and have the same Oceanis 36CC boat and same 1998 model year. We are based on the ICW in Daytona Beach. We moved here from the UK in 2012 ( I'm a Brit but my wife is American and otherwise perfect) and started out by living on a 47ft trawler yacht but I had a bad stroke, now mostly recovered, in the first year and we decided to downsize from the motor yacht and return to sail, plus we bought a small condo on shore overlooking the ICW, having been a sailboat person in Europe for over 50 years (me) and 27 years (her) and some100,000 miles of cruising half of which with my wife of 28 years. We have spent the last 2 years putting right some stuff on the boat and everything done with ease of use in mind. Our boat was bought used and needed some upgrades like new electronics to replace a bunch of non working stuff, sails etc plus some rewiring and we added a RIB with a 9.9hp motor in davits on the stern plus a motor lift crane to put the motor up on the pushpit stern rail when not left on the RIB ( but never for offshore passages). We are just now about finished working up our boat and ready to re-enter the cruising world proper again, but will take it gently and smell the roses along the way and not jump back into sailing in all weathers and long distances like we used to. So of course you can do it and very good luck with your plans. IF I can help please with any specific questions send me a private message and we can maybe exchange emails and/or tel numbers for a chat or two. Where are you currently based?

Welcome to the Forum by the way, there are lots of very helpful folk around here who will gladly assist with questions on all topics.

Robin
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 09:38   #11

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

It looks like you have a comfortable boat that sails well. One of the nice things about cruising is that you have the time to slow down and not be a slave to any schedules. That means you can pick your weather and enjoy your cruising. Attention to navigation is critical, regardless of boat choice. As far as age, if you're in reasonable health, you'll have no worries. If anything, you'll likely find that you'll enjoy a healthier lifestyle then when you were strictly land-based. Good luck and good cruising!
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 09:43   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Regarding your age, 65 is only too old if you're dead. Regarding your boat, there are people cruising in just about every kind of boat you can imagine & yours is nicer than most. Kind of a deep draft for Florida & the Bahamas but many do it with more. I'd consider adding a permanent roof over the cockpit & davits if you don't already have them. Bon voyage!
Small comment as, like the OP we also own a 1998 Beneteau Oceanis 36 CC which has 5.3ft draught (wing keel) and also sub 50ft air draught and that fits pretty well with the skinny waters and fixed bridges of the ICW/Bahamas. we do have a full canvas cockpit enclosure, not fixed and we do have stern davits to carry our 10ft RIB and it's 9.9hp Mercury.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 09:46   #13
cruiser

Age is only a number.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 09:49   #14

Trade your boat for an older 42 ft Grand Banks. take work out of crusing & enjoy cruising in comfort
Heceta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 09:53   #15

Boat: Saturn 33 Pilothouse

Age is only a number. So long you are healthy and have the strength to work the sails all is ok. The boat is ok so long you upgrade it so you and your wife can sail it easily . Costal cruising is fun and you don't need all the stuff what ocean going sv need. So go and enjoy and have fun. Check the weather on the VHF every morning and up and go. Happy sailing
SY. Icebound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, men, retirement