Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2016, 10:02   #16

Boat: Beneteau OC 41
Re: Costal cruising at retirement

Same plan; different start date. My wife and I are planning to start out next fall; we plan to start out from Portsmouth, RI and head down the ICW, joining the ICW Rally at Deltaville, VA ending in Miami. Our plan then takes us to the Bahamas.

PM me if you want more information.
robgrant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 10:11   #17

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

My husband just laughed when I read this to him. He said - and I quote: "If you had to be 65 to go sailing we never would go, cause you'll never admit to being 65". I don't know, he's still laughing. I'm not.

I quit my "career" job in 2002 to go sailing. I was still in my 40's. We found every excuse under the sun not to go. We finally left 12 years later and while we're not ancient I regret not going sooner. The transition is harder for him leaving the business he built up over 40 years, his whole personality is vested in it. He still commutes 6000 miles round trip several times a year to go take care of his customers. Not me- I'm one of those people who are always looking at the horizon.

Physically it's good. I personally am not as strong as I was but I am smarter. So I figure things out based on that. If necessary I hire someone, but not often because I am cheap, ahem, frugal. I've found that in some ways I'm stronger than land based people my age because I still need to hang upside down and backwards in the engine room and also to climb the mast. You're only too old if your body or your mind is failing. Reading your post it doesn't sound like an issue - so if you both want it, WHY NOT???
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 10:13   #18

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneteau1954 View Post
Hello all new member here..My wife and I are new owners of an 1998 Oceanis 36cc...Our plan is to cruise the ICW, US east coast and eventually make our way to the Caribbean when we retire in 3 years..Our experience consist of 20 years of lake sailing. My question is do we have the boat that will allow us to fulfill our desires? I know that I will need to add and update equipment. Our hope is that this boat will work for us since it will be paid for by the time we retire. I'm also a little concerned if age 65 is maybe to old to consider such an undertaking? Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

How do I change my forum user name? Thanks
Welcome, Beneteau.

What great plans you have...

Regarding your questions about your vessel and yourselves, I offer the an unequivocal absolutely, and a recommendation you consider absorbing the knowledge and wisdom in Beth Leonard's Voyager's Handbook Beth provides far more detailed answers to your questions, and the ones you haven't asked yet...

Regarding age and capabilities, here is another fairly recent post on this topic.

Regarding a legal name change, I can't help you-but I suspect one of the moderators can...

Wishing you the best with your planning, preparation, and impending adventures.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 17-01-2016, 10:14   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

There is an old 61 and a not so old 61.

Keep yourself in decent shape (round is an invalid shape) and it is no issue. I am going to be 61 in a month or so and single hand a 33' boat. I don't see downsizing or requiring myself to take a crew for at least 10 or more years.

"motion is lotion"
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 10:18   #20

Boat: 1980 Tartan 33

Quite adequate boat! Eat your broccoli for good health and shoot for at least 15 more years of sailing fun and games. How should I know ? Because I still a sailing fanatic at age 81 schlepping a Tartan 33 on the East Coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Jack Lahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 10:52   #21

I too have to comment on your age to do this. My Dad died recently in just terrible shape. Since he retired he pretty much sat and watched tv. I promised myself I will never do that. I met an inspiring group of "seniors" in La Jolla Ca a few years back. They swim that island swim and back almost daily. The one man that so inspired my husband and myself was in his 90's and swimming that daily. I think as we age, the more we need to push to stay on top of things. The results can be amazing. We tell ourselves we are too old, but in reality it is truly a mindset to be sure.
So no your at your prime to start a new adventure. Go and have the best time of your life. You will never regret it.
ps- my husband is also trying to retire and we will be right behind you!!!
jcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 10:54   #22

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
B1954, my wife and I are living aboard and cruising on the West Coast. We are 67 and 69 and enjoying life every day. Lots of people older than we are doing what they enjoy.

Of course age and health are related and health issues can be a serious limitation. That said, I think cruising in retirement is more about about attitude than age. We don't move as fast as we once did. We aren't as strong and we don't heal as quickly as we once did. But we have as great an appreciation for life and beauty and adventure as we did. Wisdom? I don't know, but we have more experience now. And, as they say, "if not now, when." Go live your life and enjoy every day.

S/V B'Shert
O to be 67 & 69 again ... I'm not trying to pull a 'One-up' on you, but I shall be 83 in a couple of weeks while my wife reached the grand age of 80 back in October ... although she won't ever admit to being a senior citizen ... I have a mobility problem, but my wife is in excellent health.
We launched our new 'owner-built' Cutter last August. We haven't done much sailing in her yet, but we intend to enjoy every day we can this summer out sailing the Salish Sea ... as long as our health holds out, we will be out there somewhere. Go enjoy your boat.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 11:02   #23

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36

Lots of people already answered your post supporting your cruising goal so I will only add to their voices: I am 66, close to 67, and my wife is 61. We have owned a 1984 Westerly 36 CC since 1999. In 2014 just the two of us sailed her across the Atlantic after lots of sailing up and down the US east coast and to the Bahamas, and we are now flying to Sicily to get aboard again and continue our Med cruise. So stay reasonably fit, maintain the boat and sail away ....!
jmpapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 11:07   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpapon View Post
Lots of people already answered your post supporting your cruising goal so I will only add to their voices: I am 66, close to 67, and my wife is 61. We have owned a 1984 Westerly 36 CC since 1999. In 2014 just the two of us sailed her across the Atlantic after lots of sailing up and down the US east coast and to the Bahamas, and we are now flying to Sicily to get aboard again and continue our Med cruise. So stay reasonably fit, maintain the boat and sail away ....
Best of luck on your continued cruising
Old 17-01-2016, 11:10   #25

Too old! I'll be 79 in March and plan a full itinerary of East Coast cruising. Most of my crew are in their sixties.

Andrew
S/V Nadinka
Chelsea-on-Hudson, New York
planners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 11:24   #26

Boat: Shannon 38

At 69 with a 67 year old crew mate the trip from RI to St Croix via Bermuda was a gas and the two of us arrived in the Caribbean half a decade younger than when we left New England 2 weeks earlier. Don't worry yourself about the numbers if you are healthy and up for the adventure
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 11:40   #27

Boat: Ericson MKIII 35'

Boy do I feel foolish wondering the same things at 54.
Freemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 11:50   #28

To the contrary - I can't think of a better boat for a trip down the ICW to the Bahamas (and beyond). The problem with bigger, more complicated, boats is that they are bigger and more complicated. The problem with smaller boats is that they are smaller.

About the only exception I could take with your post is the notion of heading to the Caribbean from Florida. After a year on the ICW and Bahamas you will be able to make that decision for yourself.

Good luck and enjoy. Please keep everyone posted!

John
Penceler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 11:52   #29

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemind View Post
Boy do I feel foolish wondering the same things at 54.
Haha! I know just what you mean! I know the corporate grind is unhealthy for me. Stress and lack of sleep grind away.
But
But
We are not too old to get healthier and sail for decades to come.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 11:53   #30

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneteau1954 View Post
Hello all new member here..My wife and I are new owners of an 1998 Oceanis 36cc...Our plan is to cruise the ICW, US east coast and eventually make our way to the Caribbean when we retire in 3 years..Our experience consist of 20 years of lake sailing. My question is do we have the boat that will allow us to fulfill our desires? I know that I will need to add and update equipment. Our hope is that this boat will work for us since it will be paid for by the time we retire. I'm also a little concerned if age 65 is maybe to old to consider such an undertaking? Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

How do I change my forum user name? Thanks
Could you have a better boat? Sure -- longer, wider, newer, faster. Do people have a lot of fun on less of boat? Sure! Personally, I'd prefer more in the upper 30's to near 40 feet, but that's a preference and budget thing. But one thing -- as one person said, 5 feet of draft is a bit of a challenge. The ICW is much more comfortable at 4 feet, but 5 works (and 6 can be done). You get past the Bahamas, and depth is not an issue at tall.

Add/update equipment? Be very careful there! Sure, all the latest wiz-bangs are fun to play with. But you aren't talking an ocean crossing. You can very safely do what you are talking about with functional, but old, systems. You really don't need radar, integrated wind/gps/etc, watermaker, windlass, and all that jazz. All of it makes it more fun, but very little makes it possible. Focus more on making sure important stuff works. Cooking systems, fresh water system, batteries, chargers, winches, engine (say again, engine), steering, etc. Davits for the dingy, and then solar panels on top of them, would be very good upgrades. Remember, you won't ever be more than 12 hours from a safe port, and probably rarely more than 2 hours from a port.

Age? My parents will hit 80 this year, and they spend 6 months every year taking their 40 foot motorsailer from the FL Keys up the ICW to the Chesapeake and back. Been doing it for 20 years.

Go!

Harry
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, men, retirement