Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2008, 17:36   #16

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
I just bought a cat but for a mono it's a Discovery 55 - sweet.

Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 19:27   #17

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgine View Post
Sad to hear about the Maggie B, which I've casually lusting after since it was first cover in a boating magazine... (wooden boat?)

Curmudgeon, yours too, from the moment I first read about it. Used to live within bicycling distance of Devlin's place, and never got up the courage to go visit.
That Maggie B. is beautiful, like some of the old wooden Hinckleys. There's one for sale over on eBay for almost nothing, in need of restoration,

Thanks Amgine, for the kind words. Before I bought the Devlin cutter, I called Devlin boatbuilders to order a set of study plans and get information. Mr. Devlin himself answered the phone and chatted with me for about 30 minutes about the boat and boatbuilding in general, which is obviously a passion with him.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008, 04:45   #18
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Double Ender (Ply)

Something along the lines and size of a Colin Archer Westsail 33 built from in epoxy over ply (multi-chine), external lead ballast with simple uncluttered (but elegant) fit out below decks including dedicated nav station, functional gallery and only 2 berths. Keep electronics to a minimum with VHF, SSB, GPS and RADAR. No water-maker or refrigeration to keep complex systems and battery capacity to a minimum. Stout cutter rig and only small diesel (10 to 15 HP).

IMO this boat would be well balanced, strong and could be single/short handed in comfort anywhere (including summer time high latitudes) with enough load capacity for long passages.

Why plywood - I believe this is overlooked medium and given epoxy saturation techniques marries the best of wood and the best of plastic. Easy to repair / modify yet strong and "feels" nice.

Why small engine - keeps weight, room and tankage down allowing for better light air performance or more stores yet provides sufficient electrical charging and maneuvering power in harbors and calms. This vessel should be able to sail out of most heavy weather trouble with some small engine power available if necessary to help push to windward if em-bayed etc.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008, 05:42   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I would build, and stretch the current boat I have 10 feet. A few modifications where the previous builder made a few mistakes. I would dedicate the extra 10 foot to a second salon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stnl anchor.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	5610  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008, 08:10   #20
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Sorry I2F, serious thread drift (see title of thread) unless you are planning to 2 identical boats (each 10ft longer) and a spare bridge deck in the back yard
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008, 08:33   #21
Eternal Member

My confusion....I would use simliar plans stretched ten feet....better? My point being I like my boat, but want ten more feet.
Old 24-10-2008, 08:35   #22
Eternal Member

duh....how did I miss the word MONO....SO SORRY!
Old 24-10-2008, 08:43   #23

I spoke with Covey Island some years ago about the possibility of a new design based on the Westernman 40/51, something right at 10m length. I was hoping we could sell the house and liquidate in favour of life afloat. They were more than willing to go with the idea, but they needed someone to drop the cash on the designer and we got this call with a job offer we couldn't refuse...

(Video of Westernman 51 Eleanor Mary's . She's currently listed for sale on their site, but I expect that's a touch dated.)

[Nope, I was wrong... she's still listed with EYB, 395,000 GBP.]

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008, 08:55   #24

Boat: Looking...
I really like Hinckley. I got to go on one in the used section at the Newport Boat Show, what a beauty!

2002 Hinckley Sou'wester 70 Boat For Sale

Maybe a Hallberg-Rassy...
Old 24-10-2008, 10:45   #25
Kai Nui

I am fascinated by some of the responses here. Why would so many of you choose such big boats? Do you normally have more than 2 people on board? I can not imagine single handing a 60 footer in anything rough. Our 40 is a handful to reef when it gets ugly.
Old 24-10-2008, 11:00   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRhapCity View Post
I just bought a cat but for a mono it's a Discovery 55 - sweet.

I saw that boat at the Annapolis show. It is really nice indeed. Discovery has a 50 foot catamaran on the drawing board which should be in the water in the spring of next year. It should be a pretty sturdy and nice boat if it is anything like their monohull.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008, 11:18   #27

Boat: Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui View Post
I am fascinated by some of the responses here. Why would so many of you choose such big boats? Do you normally have more than 2 people on board? I can not imagine single handing a 60 footer in anything rough. Our 40 is a handful to reef when it gets ugly.
For me, in a purely fictional sense where cost is no object to buy or maintain the boat, I figure cost would be no object to hire someone to drive the boat too! The Hinckley I saw in Newport had a captain attached to the boat. He said as long as he got along with the purchaser he would go with the boat too.

In reality I'm all for going small, my boat is all of 17'!
Old 24-10-2008, 11:49   #28

Boat: Island Packet 380
For me, I would have Dave Cherubini build me a brand new Cherubini 44. Just saw it at the annapolis boat show, only $940K. I think we could throw in a few extras and just call it an even $1 million.
sweetsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008, 12:59   #29

I think much of it has to do with what you are comfortable with. We've raced an awful lot and been in some pretty crappy stuff, you simply get used to it. The gun goes bang, you hit the starting line.

Our current boat is 61 foot weighing 65k pounds with a 93 foot spar. We haven't sailed it in much wind ~ maybe 45 to 50 knots? We find a big platform easier to sail provided you use properly sized gear and you plan ahead, plan ahead, and plan ahead. You do not muscle big boats and if the weather is too crappy we'll usually anchor out instead of going in. The most wind we've docked the boat in was 35-40 knots, no fun but a schedule had to be kept. Mostly my wife and I sail the boat but we have raced with 23 aboard and cruised with smaller groups .

Last month there was an interesting cruising note about Kiola V (an 80 foot maxi) being cruised by a couple, they moved up from a 68 footer.

I love big mono's, the power they develop, the ride, the speed. If my wife would let me get an 80 I would do it in a heart beat. Like everything in life we all make decisions.

My wife driving, the AP is right next to her, she could engage it if she didn't feel like driving but she loves to drive and loves the boat.

Doing OK I think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui View Post
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008, 13:28   #30

Boat: Privilege 37
Price no object, had crew when I wanted!

A Hylas 70.

Just my wife and I, a Hylas 54.

Hey, but you did say monos!
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote