Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2008, 07:39   #1
cruiser

Boat: cal 29
coronado 27

Does anyone know the reputation of the early 70's coronado 27?
I.E build quality,blisters,hardware,ect.
sharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 08:37   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Since you ask, I actually owned one and sailed it in the near shore waters of the Pacific. The fiberglass was laid up with woven roving and a chopper gun. The hull was susceptible to oil canning and I had to re-enforce it in a couple of places. Sailed fairly well though. The hull to deck joint was caulked and fastened with rivets instead of fasteners. The rudder is hung aff the stern on a stainless post so is susceptible to damage on groundings. Interior was roomy but lacked a lot of storage and tanks were small so could not carry much fuel or water. It was a fun boat to sail in settled weather and for weekends. Original standing rigging was on the light side and the chainplates were less than impressive.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 16:12   #3

Re: coronado 27

To return to an old discussion, I am now looking at a 1973 Coronado 27 -- frighteningly old, and am wondering if I could get more opinions/reviews on this ancient thing, with its insane-looking rudder, but otherwise possibly right. I don't understand the various techniques of fiberglass, but would like to know if it is solid FG or cored, and what "oil canning" is, whether blisters or any sort of de-lamination is something to look for. What about that hull-to-deck joint? Is it likely to have lots of leaks? The asking price is CDN$9,500, with no engine, just a well for outboard, but including trailer. HELP!
Ernest
Ernest Skublics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 16:49   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

George Benson cruised one up and down the West Coast from SF to Puget Sound and wrote a short book about his adventures. an interesting read if you are at all thinking of cruising the West Coast. Has a bit on the mods he made to the boat. 'Cruising the Northwest Coast' by George Benson.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 17:07   #5

That boat is a give away boat. Has very little if any value. I've turned away newer, bigger, better boats with recent Diesel engines for $5k.
I'm not saying the Coronado was a bad boat... just they have very low value at this point.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 17:36   #6

Hi Earnest,

I don't yet have a boat, but do keep tabs on the 27'-34' range pretty much daily and think that's a really steep price for that boat with no diesel...
Sondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 18:13   #7

Thank you! Since posting my inquiry, I have read lots of reviews, and they are, for the most part, pretty bad. So, I have decided to keep looking.
Ernest
Old 03-11-2014, 18:52   #8

Boat: Catalina 387

For that price you could easily pick up a Catalina 27 or 30 with an inboard - much better boats than a coronado.

I was a partner on a Coronado 27 for a short while. Not a great boat.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 19:21   #9

Funny you should say that. My daughter bought a Catalina 27 last spring and I spent several weeks on it this summer. Didn't like it at all. The list of things I did not like is far too long to rehearse here. I thought it was a thoroughly bad design. Sorry, but if you think a Coronado is worse, I certainly wont go near it. It is just so hard to find a decent boat on the prairies!