Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2020, 09:23   #61

Re: Corded or Cordless Tools, Which is Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
What about the environmental cost of battery powered tools?
All those toxic metals to mine, then dispose of. /snip/
So the environmental cost of battery powered tools can’t be denied.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This comment has some merit as regards nickel-cadmium, but lithium is taken in quantities of 1 gram pd or less for bipolar disease, zinc is toxic at a quarter this value, and lead at one hundredth this amount.

Take-away message - dump ni-cad, pick li-ion in the highest voltage available, but chose the watt-hour rating you can easily heft.

brian w
betwys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:09   #62

Boat: custom trawler catamaran 50 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathenly Twins View Post
If one is on a budget what is best? I was first inclined to think cordless tools were preferable but damn, they are expensive!

Would it be better to just run corded tools off an inverter/charger?
hello I buy cordless tools in 12 volts, so when battery dead (coming very fast) I reove the bat and hook 12 volts cable and they work 4 ever
rapanui 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:14   #63

I'm moving back to corded tools. I don't trust Lithium batteries.
Poche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:14   #64

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

My core tools are all based on the Makita 18V cordless. The charger works great on 90-240VAC or out of the inverter. I have 3 rechargeable batteries (there are great non Makita original batteries available online) and so far, have these batteries for four years with quite massive use without any problem. For some reason, the original Makita battery died after a year.
And yes, quite sure the cruisers here do need to use power tools during passages, anchoring etc.
The Makita cordless tools I use are a high torque drill/driver - also used as a winch cranker, a LXT multi-tool (a life saver!) - these two covers almost all my day to day needs and most projects.

I do have also corded tools: 4.5" Angle grinder, 6" circular saw, A buffer, 3mm Dremel and a corded drill as a backup (rarely used) and of course a 3 gallons ShopVac.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:25   #65

I think it depends on the tool and the usage. I have a set of battery drill/screwdriver and impact driver that I am always using and would not be without. If I need to do something serious, like bore a large hole in the hull for a drain, that's a job for the big corded unit.

If you plan to use it a lot, get the battery too and make sure it is lithium. Older NiMh and NiCd tools don't have good life when seldom used.

Now, as far as the cost goes, buy used. I have bought a new Dewalt set for about the price of what DeWalt charges for a new battery. However, you can buy a used DeWalt or other name brand tool second hand without a battery on Ebay for practically nothing. I bought a box of 3 for $25. There are Ebay sellers (probably Amazon, too) that sell good aftermarket batteries really cheap. So there you go, a name brand tool at low cost.
The Sun King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:28   #66

Boat: Dufour 385

Why is this a corded versus non-corded discussion? I own both. For different uses and suited to my particular cruising style. At one extreme you will have to pry my 18v cordless drill out of my cold dead fingers. (chargeable on my 12v system) . On the other end, I would never have anything other than a 220V angle grinder. But these suit my profile. Every profile is different.
Bunnellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:47   #67

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnellr View Post
Why is this a corded versus non-corded discussion? I own both. For different uses and suited to my particular cruising style. At one extreme you will have to pry my 18v cordless drill out of my cold dead fingers. (chargeable on my 12v system) . On the other end, I would never have anything other than a 220V angle grinder. But these suit my profile. Every profile is different.
Agree. It's probably the least important question ever for someone buying or already owning a boat, but that's cruisers forums.

I use both, and do all the jobs on my boat myself.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:53   #68

Boat: PSC 37 Crealock #149 (RIP)

If you cruise with cordless tools then 1) separate battery from tool, 2) transport them 50%-75% DIScharged, 3) place each in a water proof wrapper, 4) place the wrapped battery(ies) in a vented metal container like an ammo box with a hole in it and add internal padding to prevent the batteries from rattling about, 5) stow the container amidship in a dry locker where wave-on-hull accelerations are minimum (DO NOT STOW BATTERIES IN PROPANE LOCKER OR NEAR FUEL TANKS), 6) stow the container where you can quickly grasp it with PRE-STAGED pliers and throw it overboard, 7) place an ABC extinguisher or two near the stowage compartment, 8) consider placing a smoke alarm nearby, 9) NEVER leave batteries unattended while charging, and 10) charge batteries where they can easily be jettisoned. See CF Lithium battery forum thread "Explosions Fire Rescue at Sea." I recently lost my Crealock 37 when a fully charged Li-ion cordless drill battery in a dry locker blew up 4x setting the cabin aflame requiring 2 fire extinguishers. They contain their own oxidizer and do not respect fire extinguishers. Consider cooling them with water if they light off. It is difficult to imagine the violence with which those things can let loose inside a boat. And the smoke is so thick all you can see are flames. Hold your breathe, keep your back to the exit, and don't fall down.
JDGreenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:21   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGreenlee View Post
If you cruise with cordless tools then 1) separate battery from tool, 2) transport them 50%-75% DIScharged, 3) place each in a water proof wrapper, 4) place the wrapped battery(ies) in a vented metal container like an ammo box with a hole in it and add internal padding to prevent the batteries from rattling about, 5) stow the container amidship in a dry locker where wave-on-hull accelerations are minimum (DO NOT STOW BATTERIES IN PROPANE LOCKER OR NEAR FUEL TANKS), 6) stow the container where you can quickly grasp it with PRE-STAGED pliers and throw it overboard, 7) place an ABC extinguisher or two near the stowage compartment, 8) consider placing a smoke alarm nearby, 9) NEVER leave batteries unattended while charging, and 10) charge batteries where they can easily be jettisoned. See CF Lithium battery forum thread "Explosions Fire Rescue at Sea." I recently lost my Crealock 37 when a fully charged Li-ion cordless drill battery in a dry locker blew up 4x setting the cabin aflame requiring 2 fire extinguishers. They contain their own oxidizer and do not respect fire extinguishers. Consider cooling them with water if they light off. It is difficult to imagine the violence with which those things can let loose inside a boat. And the smoke is so thick all you can see are flames. Hold your breathe, keep your back to the exit, and don't fall down.
The link:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ea-229844.html

There's no question that modern cordless tools are convenient and have the oomph to get thing done, but the most stressful place to keep electronics that are increasingly built with the smallest acceptable internal wiring and soldering is on a boat that accelerates/cycles through space a bazillion times a year.

It otherwise seems that, while the risk of catastrophic failure is small, in general electronics of all sorts coming out of China are experiencing more fires with less government oversight than in the past. Regarding tools, if the boat has an inverter to power a corded tool, at least the owner knows that the weakest link starts at the power outlet/extension cord, and won't catch fire in the middle of the night.

JD's experience and advice is most helpful.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:54   #70

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Cordless except for our big buffer. We switched over to dewalt cordless years ago.

We have a detailing buffer that is cordless, small, and super light.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:21   #71

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELC View Post
Been using tools full time for decades in the marine and woodworking world and full time in board to boot. I've went from corded to cordless and now back to corded again.

I admit I don't buy cheap tools. I expect a lot from them. Depending on the work you use them for and how you use them both have their place.

My problem with lithium batteries is if they get wet, they have a chance starting a fire. Imagine that, getting wet on a boat! If they are getting wet then I probably have other pressing problems and don't want to add to them.

Cords don't bother me. I've gone up masts with them, crawled into tight spots with them everywhere but under water. That's what air tools are for.

The replacement batteries over time will cost more than a good corded tool which is what caused me to walk away from cordless tools. But for the occasional user I guess that might not be an issue.

So, both work. Both have pluses and minuses in their way. Just got to decide where your priorities lie.
Your thoughts - Mine too. Good to get agreement from a professional.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 13:06   #72

Bosch cordless swivel head drill and oscillating tools two of the best things on board.
sailores35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 16:16   #73

In looking at customer reviews of cordless Li powered lawn and garden tools there were quite a few who complained of short battery life and expensive replacements. Seems the big energy hogs like mowers will drain their battery in under one hour or as, its called, "C" 0.75 for a 45 minute discharge rate. This is the area where most Li batteries are quickly worn out. Same goes if using a smallish sized battery pack to power a boat's propulsion. One faster discharge cycle causes more battery damage then one slow discharge

Tools used only in short power bursts such as a drill in intermittent operation are pretty much exempt. Using the same drill to stir a 5 gallon can of thick paint not such a good idea.

If execting to use a lot of power, such as sanding, I suggest sticking to the extension cord.
thlamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 16:22   #74

Boat: Florida Coaster 42’

Cordless batteries are too dangerous, the bigger they are the worse they are, impossible to extinguish. With multiple cells that burst into flames at different intervals they are unpredictable and each eruption is violent. One of these in one of your lockers will take your boat and you out before you know it. Corded are not at all convenient but will let a wise person sleep aboard at night.
timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 17:29   #75
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

We spend a great deal of time at anchor. Managing cordless batteries is a PITA. a small Yamaha generator kept on top of the deck house and running corded tools is much simpler and more reliable in our view.

If you are a dock queen, cordless may be easy enough.