Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2015, 17:53   #1

Boat: Corbin 39
Corbin Rigging

Anyone out there with a corbin 39 who could assist me in where they have placed their tracks for staysail sheeting. Much appreciated .
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 09:26   #2

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Re: Corbin Rigging

A friend crossed the ATL 4 times with his very well kept and outfitted Corbin 39. I sent him your request... let's see what he says.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 10:41   #3

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

My mate replied ... this is what he says below:

I do not have a track for the staysail sheeting I use a barbell system and sheet it from the cockpit with a line running through turning blocks. If you want to go look at it you will probably figure it out it the sheet runs on the portside and come up over the pilot house.
It works very similar to a mainsheet system without all the block. It served us really well over the 25,000 miles we have sailed so far. I can actually set the staysail in the center of the boat when pointing.
I am sorry I do not have any pictures handy for you.

GL with your rigging. If you need more info, I'll get some piccies for you. His boat is 200 M from mine.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 10:46   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

If you have the sail already, you can find the place by walking the sheet on a calm day. Look for equal tension in the foot and in the leech. Then lay the track fore and aft. If your staysail is required for reaching, you may consider angling the track (inboard the fore end, outboard the aft end).

If you do not have the sail but are going to build a new one, you may like to consider a short footed sail trimmed to an athwart running, single track. This is often the choice of shorthanded crews that prefer a single sheet.

These are my general remarks, not to detract anything from real life knowledge from actual boats sailed in all possible conditions and over thousands of miles (as is the case of Corbins). The practical beats the theoretical hands down 9/10.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 11:12   #5

Thanks Barnakiel I will lay it out as you explained and see how it works out. The Staysail I had made is actually a Genoa staysail in order for me to get enough square footage on the sail to make it useful . The foot comes back slightly past the mast by about 2 ft so a track won't work in this case. Simply laying it out as you explained should give me a good idea of where on deck to place the track . I hate making holes but dislike making more holes because of poor planning even more .
Old 19-12-2015, 11:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortezsailor View Post
Thanks Barnakiel I will lay it out as you explained and see how it works out. The Staysail I had made is actually a Genoa staysail in order for me to get enough square footage on the sail to make it useful . The foot comes back slightly past the mast by about 2 ft so a track won't work in this case. Simply laying it out as you explained should give me a good idea of where on deck to place the track . I hate making holes but dislike making more holes because of poor planning even more .
There are curved tracks but I do not know if they are custom or bent to measure (I think I saw a table where Harken or similar tracks were specified for max bent ...). However, when the clew is past the mast, it may be difficult to design a clew fitting (cross track staysails often have special clew cut and/or fitting). https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...7kSwslD_eNy2Pa

When making new holes ... mind that if the deck is foam or balsa sandwich, the builder will give a hard plank where the track is later applied. So I hope your deck is not cored as this can make placing a custom track a hell of a job.

At times, a set of two blocks can very well substitute a track. Think of a simples barber hauler system (one without a track at all) http://yaffacdn.s3.amazonaws.com/liv...ge/diagram.gif

Etc.

Good luck with the project.

b.
Old 19-12-2015, 12:10   #7

The deck is cored , airex , but with 1/2 inch marine plywood and close to an inch of fiberglass , it's overkill . I would love to see the last link you sent there it states it's invaild , possible to try again and thanks for all the help.
Old 19-12-2015, 15:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortezsailor View Post
The deck is cored , airex , but with 1/2 inch marine plywood and close to an inch of fiberglass , it's overkill . I would love to see the last link you sent there it states it's invaild , possible to try again and thanks for all the help.
OK. A different link to the same idea here: http://nsm02.casimages.com/img/2009/...4104401593.jpg

Basically, in some basic configurations, at times (oh how could I get even more conditional ;-), the function of a track can be replicated with a set of two blocks. This makes for more trim lines BUT gets rid (in some scenarios) of the track.

The 1/2 plywood and the inch of the fiberglass - where are they located? Your deck is not 1.5 inch thick, is it?

If there is airex where the track falls, you will have to drill, remove the foam (a hex key in a drill does this job very well) fill with epoxy/silica, drill again, then fix the track (+ seal each hole with sika, sure). You cannot fix a track over a foam filled deck without penalty.

Just making sure, I hope you do not have airex where you want the track.

b.
Old 19-12-2015, 18:43   #9

Thanks again . I walked down to my boat to check out a core sample from the deck . I think I may be good if I choose to put a track in. The deck from the surface down is in this order , glass followed by 3/4 inch plywood, followed by 1/4 inch airex and then glass again for a total of 1.25 inch thick. I could simply remove the airex on the underside to ensure proper back plating.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
rigging