Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 22:38   #1

Cooper Sailboats

To the folks who asked re Cooper's sailing qualities. First I should tell you mine's a 51' 1982 pilothouse. Cooper made lots of different types of sailboats including Mapleleafs and Sceptres. All are quite different but you may already know this. They all seem to have good reps in terms of quality of build. Mine is known as a 508 pilothouse and there are interesting rumors about the design being stolen from a Finnish builder along with a reputed lawsuit and very few made. That being said she has a great layout and I've had very favorable comment on the hull by experienced people. I just had mine out in some challenging conditions winds gusting to 40 knts heavy current action etc and she was wonderful. Fast,Stable, Responsive. We were hitting mid 9s knots GPS measured in 25 knts wind. My sailing Guru has 55 years including racing experience and he's fallen love with the boat. Says he didn't think a boat that big and heavy would feel so good or be so responsive even in light air. As for offshore they are tough boats. Obviously maintenance is a huge factor mine needed lots of work. As for strength... I blush to admit it but I hit a rock reef at 8 knots under power last year. Caught the bottom 10 inches of the keel. Kicked the engine out its mounts but did'nt leak a drop. Major reconstruction job but hulls like new. Lead keels help plus solid beam grid in belly and hand laid mat glass. Hope this helps you.
gunboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:48   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: cooper sailboats

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum and enjoy the site...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:55   #3

Boat: 33' Pearson

Thanks for the info. Have you sailed her much in the summer 10kts? What sail plan works best? I am assuming that the 508 might have the same wider beam that the 42 does?
Old 06-06-2011, 13:01   #4

Cooper Sailboats

The beam on the 508 is 15' so she's fairly wide. But they really taper to the stern which is why they handle well I think. I 've had her in light winds plenty and she sails fine even in 10 or less. Mine is cutter rigged but I haven't used the inner forestays yet. She carries a 130% genoa with around 7-750 sq ft and a mast furled main around 500. Mast is 75' keel mt. About 67' above deck. Obviously she isn't moving fast in low wind but she responds well to helm with even a little fwd motion. A previous owner claimed he had some trouble bringing her about off tack but we have seen nothing of this. Quite the opposite. The fact that he expressed an interest in owning her again spoke volumes to me. Mine has Ford Lehman power whats in the one you're considering?
Old 06-06-2011, 21:20   #5

The one that we're looking at is a 42' and has a new(er) Kubota. I think it was added in 2007. It is a 1980 and has been worked over by a couple that is living aboard and had the intention of taking her offshore. At first look, she appears to be in tremendous shape, with many upgrades - maybe more than we need (or want to pay for). That being said, my husband and I are fastidious and have the tendancy to want to fix, clean, upgrade anything that we can afford to do.

It would make a very comfortable liveaboard, but we want to make sure that it would be more than just a home. The boat we have now is simple, easy to sail and maneuver.

Interesting about the former owner wanting to have yours back! Is the designer Stan Huntingford?
Old 06-06-2011, 22:53   #6

Cooper Sailboats

For the "Toad". Re the designer of my boat. The sales brochure of which I have a copy attributes the design of the 508 to Huntingford. HOWEVER - I have heard rumors some from quite good sources saying that the design was stolen from a Finnish builder during a visit by Cooper people. Story goes a lawsuit ensued (pardon my humor) and Cooper stopped building them. One of my sources bought the 508 mold with an outter shell in it and finished it himself. This alone seems proof of a sort. There were only a handful of 508s built to my knowlege. There don't seem to be all that many 35,42 or 63s either but who knows the real story? Ferguson Cooper is still alive and in his 80s... If the one you're looking at is in good shape and reasonable$ it should be great. For what it's worth I paid 100K US and have put 50K into it over 2 years. The only thing comes to mind is the tanks will need replacing for sure if not done yet
Old 07-06-2011, 08:25   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: Cooper Sailboats

Interesting story. Sailboatdata doesn't list it as a Huntingford.
Sailboat Designs of Stan*Huntingford (by LOA)

but they don't list it as a Cooper either so who knows
Sailboats built by Cooper Enterprises Ltd. (CAN) on Sailboatdata.com

I don't know how many 416's were build but there's a number of them around. The design was sold and some changes made and they became the US42. I've seen a couple of 353's as well. There are probably more Coopers in this area then any where because they were built in Vancouver.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 14:14   #8

To Hummingway. Thank-you for introducing me to the Info finder site. Most interesting and useful resource. Cruisers Forum is an incredible service, I've learned more in a few visits than I ever imagined.
Old 07-06-2011, 20:34   #9

To Gunboat, If I am not mistaken, you also have a 42' Cooper (or is it more accurate to say Cooper 416)? What year and how do you like it? I believe I noted that you are also sailing in the PNW.
Old 07-06-2011, 20:49   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Have you fellows seen this?
Cooper 416 Owners Association

If you haven't I know David would love it if you sent him some shots of your boat.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:03   #11

Thank you so much. We were not aware of the sight. Good info.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:04   #12

oops to Gunboat....got you mixed up with the reply intended for hummingway.
Old 22-05-2015, 20:37   #13

Boat: C&C 37, 1985

Picking up on an old thread here to see if anyone can tell me about the Cooper 37 Pilothouse. My wife and I are beginning our search for a comfortable live-aboard but also a decent sailer. We will be cruising the Northwest US and BC waters--mostly coastal with a wide range of wind and of course, rain. I am not inclined to motorsailers (have always looked the other way while passing them) but this boat actually has a fin keel, decent sailing rig, and a nice complement of sails; the owner has obviously enjoyed sailing the boat.

Of course, I understand that a boat like this compromises performance for comfort. Just wondering if anyone has owned/sailed this boat model, or if there are some specific resources I should check out.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...neservicenter&

COOPER 367 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

I know the subject has been discussed a lot, but if anyone can suggest a different boat for a good sailing live-aboard that will also weather well, I'm all ears.

Thanks ahead.
subdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 22:00   #14

Just saw your request from a few days ago. We are the folks (the Toad) that were contemplating the purchase of the 416 Pilothouse a few years ago. We did buy her and are currently living aboard, getting ready to take off from the WA coast to spend the summer along the BC coast. We have lived on and sailed the boat for the last 3 years. We could not be happier with it.

IS there anything in particular that we could answer for you?
Cinnamon Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 22:20   #15

Boat: C&C 37, 1985

Cinnamon Girl, thanks for the reply. I've noticed some of these boats with full keel. But one we're looking at with a fin keel. Which is yours and how is going to weather for you. I'm a little skeptical about the sailing performance of these boats. From what I've read, they seem well built, but not for long passages? Also, since all older boats have their idiosyncrasies, is there anything we need to pay attention to If we decide to look closer? Glad to know you're having a great experience aboard Toad.
subdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooper