Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2018, 07:59   #1

cooper maple leaf 55

i am currently looking at a maple leaf 55 any experience or insite for this vessel would be much appreciated.IE how they sail any modifications that should be done anything like that. we will be cruising globally and live aboard for at least a couple years most likely longer. its time to take the leap and just go.
vikingsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:39   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: cooper maple leaf 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingsoul View Post
i am currently looking at a maple leaf 55 any experience or insite for this vessel would be much appreciated.IE how they sail any modifications that should be done anything like that. we will be cruising globally and live aboard for at least a couple years most likely longer. its time to take the leap and just go.
Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF!

While I have not sailed on one yet, years ago I spent many hours considering purchasing one 42-56, as I liked what I saw years ago. My tastes have changed, and my needs now are for a smaller boat. The Cooper Maple Leaf line is an older boat design and build (most likely most of them will require extensive, expensive refit unless they have been very well maintained and updated), and there have been previous discussions about their build quality, handling, etc.

Here are some previous discussion threads you can read for background. I suggest reading each one, including those that mention the other size models in the Maple Leaf line.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...Leaf&gsc.sort=

If you are prepared for the costs of buying and maintaining an older 55 foot boat, I would strongly consider two boats I just posted in another thread. Here is a link to the latest (and you should look back in the thread, going up a few posts to see the Tayana 55 and some others). This Niels Roos 65' is what I would prefer for the larger boat for a circumnavigation, but that is just an opinion (I have not sailed on it or seen it in person). In any case, I think it would be smart for you to subscribe to that thread too, as I will be posting more Outstanding Boats I find in the future.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2589217

And a Tayana 55 currently listed at a very low price:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2588907

Good luck on your boat hunt!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 14:02   #3

Re: cooper maple leaf 55

thanks im happy to be a part of this forum. i have read all those posts thank you for that but very few give any real experience from owners. i have met forbes cooper who owned cooper yachts that built these boats and there are many of the 48 foots cruising globally. originally my plan was to buy the 48 but i came across this 55 and like the interior design better. the 48's needed a rudder modification to assist in handling in high winds down wind. i was hoping someone who has sailed one could give some insite on what they think of it. i am a heavy equipment technician and specialize in diesel engines electronics and hydraulics so doing upgrades and repairs or refits aren't a problem. it currently has a 120hp ford leyman diesel in it these are good engines except for parts availabilty anywhere except the us. so my plans is to repower with a cummins 6bt that are common everywhere.any thoughts on this?
vikingsoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooper