Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2020, 08:45   #31

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)
Re: Contest Sailboats

Well, an actual measure wouldn’t hurt. I think the Selden in mast main furling masts are a bit shorter than the standard.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:28   #32

Hi there!

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find/purchase a completed pattern for a cover for the Contest 36 Ketch.

Thank you!
Sailing Calli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 16:27   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Calli View Post
Hi there!

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find/purchase a completed pattern for a cover for the Contest 36 Ketch.

Thank you!
Try to post at the CYOC (Contest Yachts Owner Club) at Facebook. It is a private group but I happen to be one of the admins. Answer three questions and your request will arrive - and likely be approved. 🙂
DeValency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2023, 17:41   #34

Boat: Looking to buy 50'

Hey all,

We are in a sailboat search for our next cruising home on the water, adding Contest 50 and 55 to the list. So far as I can find, I keep reading that the hull is balsa cored, is this below the water line as well?

We ain't as smart as we looks, but we ain't as dumb as we sounds neither
Indecenseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2023, 22:00   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecenseas View Post
Hey all,

We are in a sailboat search for our next cruising home on the water, adding Contest 50 and 55 to the list. So far as I can find, I keep reading that the hull is balsa cored, is this below the water line as well?
Most to all of the hull bottom below the waterline is over 1-1.5" solid glass, it is cored at around 1" above the waterline, however the solid glass on both sides of the sandwich are over 5mm. The boat is extremely stiff.

Contests never have delamination or blisters. Very few boat builders in the world are as sophisticated and quality building boats like Contest Yachts.

You can always post questions at the CYOC (Contest Yachts Owner Club) at Facebook. It is a private group but I happen to be one of the admins. Answer three questions and your request will arrive - and likely be approved. 🙂
Old 21-04-2023, 07:32   #36

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecenseas View Post
Hey all,

I own a 1984 Contest 48 and the hull on my boat is balsa cored all the way to the bolt-on keel. However, last month I had the depth transducer replaced and with the thru-hull removed I could see that the core was dry.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2023, 07:54   #37

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

I have a 49 year-old boat with a solid core deck. Need I say more?
Old 21-04-2023, 08:17   #38

Boat: CSY 33 Cutter

I owned a Contest 32 CS ketch for many years. The boat was a fine, strong, beautiful ship, and I really liked the aft cabin layout (although I found the ketch rig difficult to manage aft of the cockpit). In my opinion, the biggest liability is the worldwide scarcity of Volvo Penta parts for the 2003 series engine. Before I sold the boat, I was routinely importing water pump impellers and other small engine spares from Bulgaria...when I could get them at all. Injector nozzle tips, pump housings, valve cover gaskets...the list of difficult to find items goes on and on, and when available, they sell for eye-popping amounts. My advice to boat buyers, especially mechanical novices who don't have the experience, patience and money to scour the globe for parts is simple...walk away from any boat with a Volvo Penta 2000 series engine. My engine was a strong runner with few problems, but it was ALWAYS a hunt when I needed something. Another liability is the original whitlock pedestal steering. Mine seized up and again, it was impossible to source parts when I needed them. I was lucky enough to find a Lewmar that worked, but it was extremely expensive.
Polar Opposite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2023, 08:28   #39

Boat: Hylas 46

Well, this is an interesting morning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
Most to all of the hull bottom below the waterline is over 1-1.5" solid glass, it is cored at around 1" above the waterline, however the solid glass on both sides of the sandwich are over 5mm. The boat is extremely stiff.
Are you sure? On what size boat? That sounds very high for a solid laminate, even for a 55.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
I own a 1984 Contest 48 and the hull on my boat is balsa cored all the way to the bolt-on keel. However, last month I had the depth transducer replaced and with the thru-hull removed I could see that the core was dry.
You shouldn't be able to see or feel the core at all. It should have been sealed / protected when the hole was drilled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyrouse View Post
I have a 49 year-old boat with a solid core deck. Need I say more?
Yes. What does "solid core deck" mean? It's usually a solid laminate or cored laminate.
Lee Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote