Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2016, 05:46   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente
Re: Considering buying 15 year old sailboat -- issues?

Dr.D, on replacing the a/c units. On a boat of your size they are probably self contained units and replacing with similar size units is really easy.You will need to make sure that the dimensions are the same so they will fit in the existing space, and that the discharge from the blower fan to the ducting is the same ie top discharge or side discharge. Installation is a simple matter of hooking up the existing wiring, raw water intake and output hoses, and air discharge. If you cannot do this yourself it should only be a full day labor for an installer.
I have been using Flagshipmarine ( Marine Air Conditioning Systems - water, air and keel cooled. ) for my a/c units as they are the most durable and well built I have come across. Excellent customer service, and no high tech parts to replace at great cost down the road. Avoid the most common brands like marine air etc, they are a pain in the ass.
Good luck.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 07:26   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy stone View Post
Really? Can you give specifics?
Look mate: If you do not care to google some ... then I have NO CHOICE and google some for you. But this is the last time ;-)

CHARTER BOAT LOSES KEEL: And No One Noticed

Another case you must dig it out yourself: the specifics - about 3 maybe 4 years ago a Jeanneau boat club racing from Las Palmas to Fuerteventura. Lost keel, capsized, crew picked up by another boat in the fleet. Probable place to ask online e.g. 'taberna del puerto'. Spanish sailors do not post in English.

Etc.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 07:33   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
I don't recall any Jeanneau's losing their keels.

(...)

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Google your friend.

Polbream, a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37

Then another one about 3 years ago in Canary Islands.

(see the article posted above)

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 08:26   #19

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43

We own a Jeanneau SO DS43 2003 purchased in 2011 from first owner. We are very pleased with our ship. Jeanneau were better built in those years than they are today for the simple reason that the quality manufacturing would make them too pricy in today market conditions.
However all depends on the level of maintenance carried out by previous owner, the mileage it has, the condition it's in today. Paramount is a meticulous survey and sea trial conducted with a professional. Additionally, you can ask for the maintenance schedule and history as well as the ship credentials. Finally keep a mimnimum budget of 10% of purchase price or 25% in the case of a chartered boat for upgrades and further replacement no identified by the survey. Good luck
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 08:35   #20

Boat: lancer 36

my boat is thirty six years old. always issues but i love it.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 08:39   #21

Agree! Sometimes, small issues.
Still love mine!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 09:03   #22

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

I did a google search and found several images of Jeanneau sailboats that have lost there keel... check it out for yourself.
artisanmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 10:00   #23

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Quote:
Mine is 30 years old, 15 is new for me!
I was thinking that only 15 years old is like new! Then i realized my "new" boat is only 24 years old when we got it. But it had the wrong style anchor...
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 10:12   #24

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

My last boat is 40 years old . Not a single problem
Check the keel and the standing rigging Check the engine compression send the sails to a sail maker for service and you are good to go
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 10:41   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
When I bought my 35 Pearson it was 42 years old! I carefully evaluated such things as the hull structure and the standing rigging, all of which was excelent. I totally ignored the engine, electronics etc. and just replaced all of it! Now it's like a new boat! The Pearson hull was built like a tank and being a 72 it was just pre-blister. (Not one anywhere on it!). As a former boat builder, (wooden), I generally have a pretty good feel for a boats structure and older boats almost always come in way better built than boats after about 1975-78 and up. But, give me over built rather than under built when I'm going blue water in it!
That was because Ev Pearson really did not trust the engineering calculations, so decided on the advice of Dick Fisher to lay up the hulls as thick as if they were made of wood. Hinckley did that with its first glass hulls. Heavy, strong, and you are right, no blisters. They also ran stringers and reinforcement points throughout the hulls. Tough old birds.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 10:46   #26

Boat: Jeanneau 43 Deck Salon

We bought our 2003 Jeanneau 43DS about a year and a half ago and have been living aboard since. I have replaced the stainless holding tanks because they were starting to leak, all water and fuel tanks are plastic. Why they didn't use plastic for the holding tanks is a mystery to me. the aft head needed rebuilt, new Simrad plotter,radar, ect, found and fixed a few small leaks, the thru hulls look good but one ball valve on the forward holding tank has seized up. Plan to replace with Forespar OEM 93 next month. I think the thru hulls are bronze but the valves are of a lesser quality so eventually the all will be changed out. Had to do the the same on my 1981 Pearson too. So all in all not much of anything Jeanneau specific, just issues any boat can have after 10-15 years. The Jeanneau Owner forum is another site to check out.

Good Luck and happy sailing!
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 13:40   #27

Just got a 39 year old,Islander 32,mk2.....
Replaced all 3ngine and drain hoses, some of the running rigging 8ncluding sheets, furling line and whisker pole lift. The atomic 4 got new filters, plugs and wires, along with a new water pump impeller. EVERYTHING now,works and runs great!
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 14:04   #28

I bought a 1986 boat, one impeccable owner, in 1998. Have had her for 18 years.

New standing rigging, new furler. That was the ONLY work I had done that I hasven't done myself.

All the rest is regular preventative maintenance, like chainplates. It always gags me when people talk about deck leaks. Unfortunately, altogether too many skippers neglect chainplate rebedding, which IS regular preventative maintenance.

There's also this:

Boat Inspection Trip Tips | SailboatOwners.com Forums

Good luck, sounds nice.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 15:17   #29

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

o no my boat was built in 1893 -last extended cruise 52,000 nm /can you sail your

boat of interest with the owner /make a note of repairs if the boat is used often all those things above may have been sorted
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 20:54   #30

A 15 year old boat well maintained and updated can be as good as a new boat but if it hasn't been looked after it can be a money sponge requiring almost the purchase price to update it ready for serious cruising. You really need to do your homework when purchasing a used boat.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, sail, sailboat

« Valiant 47 | C&C-27 »