Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2018, 20:47   #1

Considering an ‘81 C&C 32, looking for your thoughts.

So, we are considering taking a look at a 1981 C&C 32 to see if it is worth pursuing. So far I have searched the web and haven't found anything that tells me to run away.. Pictures look good, and overall it appears in fair to good condition, but pictures can be deceiving...
Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this model???

We are not looking to rush into anything and will be picking it apart as much as we can, given our limited knowledge of sailboats. That being said I am a mechanically inclined individual, and a bit of a jack of all trades, so I'm sure I can muddle my way through spotting any issues... Of course we will get a survey done if it looks like it may be a potential keeper, but one step at a time...

This will be the first boat we are looking at seriously to consider and could potentially be our first sail boat, if everything works out.... So go easy on me please..
mikakuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 21:50   #2

Boat: Dufour Arpege
Re: Considering an 81 C&C 32, looking for your thoughts.

I have a 1980 dinette version and am happy with the boat. As with most C&C's it sails very well. Very close winded, well balanced and stiff. It has enough adjustments to play with if your into that. Biggest negatives for me are engine access and a tiny head. The 30 & 32 are solid laminate hulls so that eliminates the possible wet core in the hull issue. Pay close attention to the deck as mine was cracked around half of the stanchion bases. It is solid laminate around the outside of the deck with the core starting about 4" inboard.
There were some fellows from Canada who took a 30 to Europe a few years ago. So prepped correctly they are very capable boats. Also there's a very active owners group called C&C Photo with tons of info on all things C&C. Overall it"s a solid, good performing boat with a decent layout. Feel free to pm me if you'd like to talk further.
Rod
otterhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 22:01   #3

Re: Considering an 81 C&C 32, looking for your thoughts.

If the boats in good shape they are really nice sailboats. I really like the 32, I owned a 36 of the same vintage, sailed it down to Mexico, over to Hawaii and home to Vancouver. Those were considered the cream of the cream back in the day.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 15:48   #4

Re: Considering an ‘81 C&C 32, looking for your thoughts.

Thanks for the responses. Your input seems to confirm what I had found while searching for known issues on this brand.....

Thanks for the offer otterhound. I may be in touch with a few questions, if the initial inspection goes ok...
mikakuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 16:26   #5

Boat: C&C 34

We are have a C&C 34 and are quite happy with it. Not exactly the same boat but similar. You will find a fair amount of C&C boats on the under powered end as they were mostly designed for club racing.

Here are a few things that really bug me:
  • There is not much storage on the boat.
  • Not real good at pushing thru rough seas.
  • The mast step will never stop leaking.
Other than that we are pretty happy with the boat. We rarely venture more than a 100 miles from home as we are still working full time. When we finally do cruise full time it will not likely be on this boat.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 17:22   #6

Before you go to look at the boat I recommend that you get a copy of Don Casey's book "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat," published by International Marine. It's available in paperback and well worth the price (under $20). It goes through hull, deck, rig, sails, engine, electrical system, etc. and will help you figure out whether it is worth spending the money on a professional survey.
As other posters have noted there are a lot of C&Cs of that approximate size and vintage so if this one is not up to snuff you will find others.
Good luck!
PhillyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 17:31   #7

Boat: Tartan 33R

Hi Opie,
I'm far from an expert, but the following advice from the Dashews regarding sealing the mast-thru-deck dilemma looks spot on:

The ultimate mast sealing system! Aboard Beowulf we start with the plastic boot supplied by Forespar which fits the extrusion. A bead of silicon is added to the top and bottom edges to try and help seal them.
Next comes the “secret weapon” shown in the top photo. This is a neoprene (wet suit material) gasket which fits over the Forespar boot. If the mast is out of the boat, it can be slipped over the bottom end prior to putting the spar back. Otherwise, it is glued together using appropriate neoprene cement.
Self bonding tape is then applied around the upper edge.
The upper and bottom edges are then sealed to the mast beneath by using moderately tight shock cord.
The entire assembly is then covered with a Sunbrella fabric sun shield.
A boot like this lasts about two years aboard Beowulf, and is the only way we’ve found to keep the mainmast dry where it penetrates the deck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0746.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	166775  
Crustyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 18:24   #8

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I am very much a fan of the C&C boats, especially the 32. I've owned 3 C&C's and sailed many more. They are common in my area, Lake Ontario, since they were built near here.

The forward sheeting was ahead of its time. Its a fast and comfortable boat. If you find a shoal draft version, that's a big bonus if you sail in thin water (like the 1000 islands, or the Bahamas. Check the windows for leaks, the decks for soft spots, and the bilge will give you a clue about the keel bolts (although you cannot directly inspect them without dropping the keel).

I would definitely give the 32 a big thumbs up, but get a non nonsense surveyor, as the fleet is definitely aging. A freshwater boat is far more likely to be in good shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aq6.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	166792  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 06:58   #9

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikakuja View Post
Thanks for the responses. Your input seems to confirm what I had found while searching for known issues on this brand.....

Thanks for the offer otterhound. I may be in touch with a few questions, if the initial inspection goes ok...
Where are you located or better yet where is the boat located?
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 07:44   #10

Boat: C & C 36

Mikaluja,
We currently are sailing a C&C 36, great boat! Window leaks & mast:deck penetration leaks were the only issues. After several different approaches we finally resolved the window leaks by fiberglassing over the windows with lightweight f/g clothand then painting around them. Looks great and solves the leaks. The spar leaks we solved by injecting “Great Stuff” foam into the void and installing a “boot” cover ove that- dry as a bone, fast, easy, cheap and easy to remove when stepping the mast!
Storage is our only issue as we are now cruising but we quickly learned what is necessary to have on board and what is not! Great sailing boat-fast and easy to handle!
One Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 07:55   #11

Boat: Bristol 27

There's a C&C 32 at our marina. It's really a pretty boat and every now and then the owner puts it up for sail

Each time I'm very tempted to buy it even though it's mainly set up for racing not cruising
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 14:04   #12

I've sailing and maintaining an '84 C&C 32 for about 10 years on Lake Ontario for an older owner. I worked in C&C's former service shop in Port Credit for 7 years (many years ago) dealing with C&C warranty, commissioning and service as well as many other competing brands of the day. I'm a big fan of C&C's except for the fixed windows and exterior teak. Not my first preference in a personal boat but certainly high up the pick list.

Production, quality control and consistency throughout the brand, evolving over time as materials and buyer tastes changed, was high grade. They mastered construction to keep the costs down (although they weren't the cheapest, the execution made them stand out). My take away that most boat owners seldom take as good care of their boats as the boat and the future new owners deserve. Most boats of that era had simple systems and largely a bolt together construction method. What simpler than that for novice owners.

Leaks happen, and all fastened items require a seasonal evaluation (do you see water, water stains, mold, loose fasteners, possible future deck core problems
Windows that are aircraft glued in a recess and bending over compound curves eventually will give way (we replaced 30 year old windows, the new installation is not holding up so well)
Storage on most boats is limited to space not taken up with tankage, engine, systems, and maintaining human sized passageways
Spars and rigging, again, not big on an owner list until something goes wrong. If you can keep the mast collar waterproofed water at the base is limited, in a blowing rain we get water at the base but it is coming from inside the mast)

The 32 is a slightly bigger cousin to the highly successful 30. Not one of the Rob Ball designs but certainly part of the well respected design team accomplishments. We've not experienced any negatives short of old equipment failure (blocks, stanchion bases, leaking windows, mast wiring). The mostly one piece head compartment is small but easy to maintain, although there is full teak ply bulkhead that is exposed to all types of water, and the shallow shower pan is largely useless.

If you are inclined to this vintage and general price range, with a diesel, propane stove/oven and a true one piece head compartment, don't overlook the CS 33, a cut above in interior finish, no exterior teak and a performer CS 33 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/Sai...52FRacer/Cs/33
notiesbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 21:04   #13

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

If your boats have the standard aluminum frames around the portlights use butyl rubber tape to seal them to the cabin. A good quality butyl tape will work for years.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 03:17   #14

Butyl is the best for sure lifeofreilly57. Unfortunately C&C used acrylic glued into rebates in the deckhouse, attained the look the design team was after, but no frames, not bolts, no screws.
notiesbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 16:12   #15

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by notiesbob View Post
Butyl is the best for sure lifeofreilly57. Unfortunately C&C used acrylic glued into rebates in the deckhouse, attained the look the design team was after, but no frames, not bolts, no screws.
Dow 795 works well for the cabin acrylic windows. Replaced them with new and re-bedded 5 years ago, no leaks so far
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote