Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2013, 04:10   #1

Considering a Baltice Magnum 42DP or Fast 42 for cruising?

I am considering one of two vessels for cruising. My wife and I will be purchasing a vessel soon with the view of going cruising in a few years. We recently sold our Lavranos Holiday 34 and feel that 40-42' is the ideal size for us.

I have viewed both a Simonis Voogd Fast 42 as well as a Baltic Magnum 42DP - both very different vessels and ages. Although I initially thought the Fast42 was a race boat, Alexander Simonis corrected me and informed me that he had in fact designed it as a fast cruiser and not a racing vessel.

I was wondering if anyone had any comments or experiences on these available choices. Not too many choices available in this size range in South Africa.
RoyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 01:24   #2

Boat: Baltic 38DP
Re: Considering a Baltice Magnum 42DP or Fast 42 for cruising?

My brother and I have done a Day Skipper course off Sardinia in a Baltic 42DP, as it happens a South African built one (used to lie in Cape Town). Really good course, BTW, I recommend Riccardo wholeheartedly. Yachting School Sardinia

I specifically chose this school because of the boat, as I own a Baltic 38 myself. At the time, I had not sailed my own boat yet.

My impressions of the Baltic 42?

The double cockpit is both a boon and an irritation. It is great that there is plenty of room to work (on my 38 it can be a bit cramped when times are busy). The downside is that it is less sociable. Build quality of the South African built Baltic was good, but I did notice a difference with my Finnish-built boat. One thing I notice in particular, is that the 42 is a significantly slower and MUCH heavier boat than my 38. Displacement is in the range of 12 tonnes (my 38 is around 7), which makes her a bit underpowered and my 38 is definitely a lot quicker. But the 42 handles heavier winds very very well. I don't know if it is typical of the South African built ones, perhaps the Finnish 42's are lighter (it would not surprise me).

I was very impressed with the layout below decks, which is much more spacious than my 38. The biggest difference is the massive storage space, lots of room for supplies behind the couches. The two heads are a boon too.

I love the lines of the 1980's Baltics and they are very solidly built boats. Mine does not make any sounds after 30 years, no creaking, and all cupboards and doors still close as perfectly as they did in 1983.

Hard to go wrong with a Baltic.

Here's a little video I shot of the holiday so you can see the boat in action.

Onno

JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 01:46   #3

Thank you Onno.

I apologise for the spelling error in the Title - should be "Baltic" but for some reason I cannot edit it.

Yes, it is a South African Built boat - CenMarine I think. I also can see that the dual/split cockpit can be an irritation, especially climbing over in heavy weather to get to the rear cockpit. But the vessels seem to be well deigned (Doug Peterson design) and very spacious for cruising.

Two very different vessels as I mentioned as the Simonis Fast 42 is really a fast cruiser and the interior volume etc. reflects this. Despite the Baltic being considerably older, the difference in price is not as large as I would have expected.

Decisions, decisions...
RoyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 04:01   #4

Boat: Baltic 38DP

Baltics hold their price well for very good reasons. They are great boats and the quality of their build is miles above any of the current production boats in the $100k - $300k bracket. For me it was no contest, I am much happier with my 30 year old Baltic than I would be with a brand new Dehler, Bavaria or any of the other new boats. Baltics were very expensive back in the day and it continues to show. The things that have now aged quite a bit are easy to fix or improve and the timeless looks you can't buy anymore.

Onno
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0453.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	55090  
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 17:24   #5

Boat: Baltic 43

Really like the look of your boat. Who did the paint/graphics? I just bought a Baltic 37 in Newport Beach and getting it trucked up to San Francisco in a few weeks. Needs a bottom job but would like to update the look and i have to name it as the previous owner had the name removed. ?? Also would appreciate any sites that you use to seek out other Baltic owners, as i have yet to find any. Only exception is a little used Fbook page.

Thanks, john
Silver_Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baltic, cruising