Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2019, 13:37   #31
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Confusing mainsheet traveler hardware

A phone call or email to Harken and Garhauer will get you a fast response from both. Give the numbers of sail area, you'll probably get a call back asking for some photos or sketches or more numbers, and in a day or three they'll pitch you a suggestion on exactly what options for tackle they think are necessary. Size of line, possible new car and/or track, the right kind of blocks to use, etc.

Might as well let the pros run the numbers for you, they do it for free and you are able to make your own decisions and place the order from anyone.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 14:02   #32

Boat: Woodward 47

It looks like a self tacking foresail. The block and tackle has been removed. If the sheet leads back to a winch the tackle will be minimal. The traveler car looks substantial . Perhaps a two or three to one pulley system would be suitable.
fabricator-ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 11:32   #33

Boat: Freedom 40

Consider running a measuring tape up the mast and along the boom to get sail area. Then look at the size of the winch and decide between how hard you want to crank, how much line you want to manage, and how much you want to pay for blocks. You are probably looking at least a 2x1 or 3x1. One block will have a becket to terminate one end of the mainsheet. A decent rigger can figure all this out pretty quickly.
Old 30-01-2019, 16:44   #34

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad.wabbit View Post
Consider running a measuring tape up the mast and along the boom to get sail area. Then look at the size of the winch and decide between how hard you want to crank, how much line you want to manage, and how much you want to pay for blocks. You are probably looking at least a 2x1 or 3x1. One block will have a becket to terminate one end of the mainsheet. A decent rigger can figure all this out pretty quickly.
I initially thought like you too Wabbit, but I believe SailRedemption is probably closer to the truth. There's a lot of sail power there & yes, it does show similarities to a self tacking club-foot jib. Trouble is, we don't really know what the original setup was. Like, where's the winch located & what size is it? Why is that 'stand-up' block located where it is etc. etc. The S.S. bridge between the two cars is pretty 'skookum' when I blow up the photo for a better view, (looks to be at least 7/16" dia.) It will require a fair size shackle to attach a multi-purchase block.
Another thing I wonder about is, the OP said he was 'crewing' on this boat (as opposed to being the owner) & yet, he writes as if he is intending to purchase the parts himself. Just sounds a little odd to me. Maybe he's a paid crew member responsible for performing maintenance work. I'm sure there is a simple explanation …….
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 17:57   #35

Boat: Freedom 40

Sailorbob8599 - I'm guessing winch is aft, behind the hard doger/plot house. The single, deck mounted standup block gives a constant fair lead to the winch as the travelers moves if the sheet leads from the travelers to the winch, or as the boom moves if the sheet leads from the boom end (after the necessary purchase between the boom and the traveler).

Did I miss the OP posting the length if the boom?
Old 30-01-2019, 21:31   #36

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad.wabbit View Post
Sailorbob8599 - I'm guessing winch is aft, behind the hard doger/plot house. The single, deck mounted standup block gives a constant fair lead to the winch as the travelers moves if the sheet leads from the travelers to the winch, or as the boom moves if the sheet leads from the boom end (after the necessary purchase between the boom and the traveler).

Did I miss the OP posting the length if the boom?
Yeah, I assumed the same thing Wabbit, but looking at one of the photos, the stand-up fairlead is located starboard of centre & at the forward edge of the mast. Maybe that's the only way they could position it to do the job.
No, you didn't miss the length of the boom because he never gave that information. I get the impression the OP may have recently acquired this boat & trying to rig it for sailing. He certainly doesn't appear to be very familiar with sailboats which is why I raised the question as to how come he's making these inquiries as a "crew man". Of course, there's no harm in educating one's self, but tell us if you are owner or crew although, I suppose that is not important, just like to know who we are dealing with & level of knowledge so we don't appear to be "talking down" to him.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 10:18   #37

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Is this a ketch with the mizzen FORWARD of the cockpit??? The layout seems unusual, to say the least.

Now that I think about it, it's likely a staysail schooner.
If so, that would likely be a boomed foresail, not the main?
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:06   #38

I am an unpaid crewmember getting a free" ride. The owner is inexperienced and asking me to research new purchase tackle. The original tackle is gone. I am considering a 3 to 1 fiddleblock with one single block for both the main and mizzen purchase. Yes there is a big winch in the cockpit for the main. The main is 365 sq ft.. with a 16 ft boom.the mizzen mast is just forward of the cockpit. I am talking to mack sails as they were the most helpful . In identifying the hardware so far.
widmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:15   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Starlight Ketch 64'

fiddle w/becket at the bottom, fiddle at top, for 1/2" braided dacron. Simple fix!
captsundancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:35   #40

Hi Widmn: Yeah, you definately appear to have some pieces missing. From the pics you posed, here's what I see that I would be looking for or doing:

from the cockpit, the mainsheet should come through the front of the enclosure and through the sheave of the spring supported block on deck. The line should then go through the bottom of a 4:1 (or so) pulley system that is fastened between the mainsheet traveller car and the boom. My suspicion is that any line you may have found attached there may have been to secure the boom for storage purposes when the "real" mainsheet was removed.

The purpose of the spring loaded block is to help guide the mainsheet (from the cockpit) around the mast when the mainsheet traveller is moved toward the port or starboard sides and to keep it aligned with the hole in the cockpit enclosure.

In the photos, I didn't see any really good connection points on the bottom of the boom to connect the top of the mainsheet to. There are some small eyes there, but nothing that I saw that was really substantial enough to do the job so that may need to be addressed; either with a strop or bail type system.
SeaBreeze-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:03   #41

Boat: Union 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBreeze-1 View Post
In the photos, I didn't see any really good connection points on the bottom of the boom to connect the top of the mainsheet to. There are some small eyes there, but nothing that I saw that was really substantial enough to do the job so that may need to be addressed; either with a strop or bail type system.
There is a solid looking eye on the bracket at the end of the boom. Directly under the topping lift.
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:10   #42

It is a fiberglass boom with a steel strap around the end . Both the topping lift and mainsheet have an eye top and bottom.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:30   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

Yes, definitely that stainless "U" fitting is the "car" onto which your mainsheet lower block should be shackled, usually part of a 3 to 1 purchase or even 4 to 1.I have one my main companionway garage and it is the old stainless (or brass) bar that just has a large stainless shackle as the "car" and I shackle my main block to that.... it is useful to use in a blow when you want to spill some excess wind, and also very useful for running off the wind...
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:10   #44

My other thought was that i would buy an identiacal setup for the mizzen even though it is much smaller so i would have an extra available with same size line in case of a failure on the main.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:03   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by widmn View Post
I am on a 57' Bruce Roberts as a crewmember and I think it is missing some hardware. I have never seen this setup on a traveler with a big stainless U fitting. The boom only has one steel attachment on the end to hook a mainsheet or whatever. No pulleys or tackle. What is missing? What is this U fitting? The cockpit where the line leads to has a large HArkin winch for the mainsheet.
See pics attachedAttachment 184622

Attachment 184623
Why don't you ask the owner?
col50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardware