Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2019, 09:08   #16

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch
Re: Confusing mainsheet traveler hardware

Yes ,a must
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 09:12   #17

You'll need some way to run the line where the steel attachment point is on the traveler. A block would work great.

Now would be a good time to figure out a mainsheet system that you'll want to use, since you need to purchase new equipment anyway (if you can't find it).

There is no real "best way" to do this overall. There might be a best way depending on the hardware you have currently. Here is a system that would be similar for 1 winch:

https://www.sailmagazine.com/.image/.../boomillo1.jpg

But I didn't see your winch setup. The winch on the mast of course is likely for a halyard.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...ElCrileO1f57M:

I have a similar setup: one winch, not self-tailing (has a cleat). I will probably do a system where I can trim through a 1:3 purchase if the wind is light, and then use the winch if it ever gets too difficult to trim with the 1:3. Makes sense to me. Cheap, easy, and if it doesn't work and I need to increase the advantage I can use the blocks for something else.
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 09:15   #18

Don't know size of main, but it is big. Mizzen same hookup but much smaller. Looked everywhere....nothing.
widmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 09:24   #19

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26

... probably hidden away in a sailbag... You'll find it eventually.
_andi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 15:22   #20

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by widmn View Post
Yes, I just put that cheap line there to show the path through the "eye" to the big winch in the cockpit. Sorry.
You may be aware of this already, but if not, the "eye" you refer to is actually a "stand up pulley" & the sheet should be threaded thru the smaller hole between the cheeks to run the sheet on the sheave of the pulley (block).
You probably need a 3:1 purchase setup with the sheet end passing thru the stand-up block before entering the pilot house to the winch.
If you don't find the missing mainsheet, I have some new "Lewmar" blocks for sale at a very reasonable price. I have both #1 & #2 blocks; It would help if I knew what size sheet you will be using. By the look of the lead block to the winch it appears to be about a #1 size but hard to tell from a photo.
There will be a shipping charge from Blaine WA … U.S. Post or UPS … your choice.
PM me for more info if you are interested
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 15:33   #21

I can tell you the boom length and winch size if you can tell me mainsheet line size, type and blocks i need and prices.
Old 28-01-2019, 15:54   #22

Quote:
I can tell you the boom length and winch size if you can tell me mainsheet line size, type and blocks i need and prices.
You talk about a large winch. Am I correct in assuming the winch is located in the pilot house & the mainsheet feeds thru the 'stand-up block' you refer to as an "eye" & then onto the winch? … If so, … what size line fits the sheave in the stand-up block? is it - 3/8" - 7/16" - 1/2" - 9/16" or 5/8" … do not use an oversize line for that sheave as it will jamb. get a piece of line & try it in the sheave … once you find a line that fits, measure the diameter. Surely you must have some spare line laying around on the boat to help determine this?
Old 28-01-2019, 16:06   #23

Yes, i will measure the sheave tommorrow. I knew the name was srand up pulley. Its the upside down "U" on the traveler i dont know about. I think its older and not madeanymore and i dont understand how it hook to blocks and tackle .
Old 28-01-2019, 19:26   #24

Boat: morgan 462

It's a 57' boat. You need lots of mechanical advantage.
agb512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 19:39   #25

Boat: Kaufman 47

Just get a 6:1 mainsheet block with a cam cleat on the bottom block. We have that on our end sheeted 400ft2 main with high aspect ratio. We'll we have that and a 4:1 fiddle block with cam cleat for a tweeker attached to the becket of the 6:1 to fine tune (24:1). We don't use a winch and seeing that you have a ketch/yawl your mainsail is probably a little smaller or similar size as ours so this setup should work great for that boat.

Only thing I don't like on yours is there's no traveler adjustment so you have to ease the main to unpin and slide the car to find another pin hole.

Here's a picture of our mainsheet after I reaved it at work.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BK3wKhrD...d=p1n551v38w16

And another on our boat.. Don't mind my nephew. He was my deck hand and sailed all day and he was whipped. Click image for larger version

Name:	2054815987.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	184685
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 19:59   #26

Boat: morgan 462

Garhauer. Same as mine without the tweeker
agb512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 20:21   #27
rbk

Boat: T37

I regularly take off my main sheets (yes two) and other sets and store below when away for long periods to keep them clean, new and strong. Have spare rope with clips to secure the boom in their absence. That boat isn’t sailing anywhere like that.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 20:24   #28

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
I regularly take off my main sheets (yes two) and other sets and store below when away for long periods to keep them clean, new and strong. Have spare rope with clips to secure the boom in their absence. That boat isn’t sailing anywhere like that.
Good idea! Going to do that this week!
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 06:03   #29

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Just because there is a SS loop on the travler does not mean Thats where the line goes thru. There is suppose to be a block maybe 4 part block to the boom with another 4 part block to take the pressure off. Go To the Schaffer site or Harkin site and look at blocks.
Ask your local Rigger, Thats what they do . This is Not a DIY figure it out deal . This is not a safe place to be wrong !
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 12:32   #30

Quote:
Yes, i will measure the sheave tommorrow. I knew the name was srand up pulley. Its the upside down "U" on the traveler i dont know about. I think its older and not madeanymore and i dont understand how it hook to blocks and tackle .
Sorry! Your sail area is bigger than I first thought. Forget my offer of 3:1 block system, it would not suit your needs. eg: Not powerful enough. You obviously need something more like the 6:1 set-up that Sailredemption is showing in post 25. Go with his suggestion.

Tags
hardware