Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2021, 11:30   #16

Boat: Lancer 44' motorsailer
Re: Compression post offset from Stepped mast- normal? Lancer 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by clakiep View Post
With this rigging a slight offset sideways is not critical, anyhow not as critical as an offset fore or aft. The mast bending under compression transfers the load fore and aft, and this would than add to an installation offset.

Capt. Claus - ocean tramp of the eighties
Ok, Thanks! Good to know. I think if I can further buttress the vertical support inside the cabin while I'm repairing the top decking, then I've done what I can. I'll keep in mind the fore/aft pressures as I add a plate. Kind Regards.
skwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:34   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho View Post
I could see a little deflection on mine from inside. The tool liner was puckering down and around the compression post by about 1/8 due to the steel support in the bilge failing. The alignment of all of it was buckling. I fixed the steel support. Added a 5mm carbon fiber plate between the roof liner and compression post to expand the footprint of the compression post then added a second compression post in front of the original. I couldn’t sister it up to the original due to needing a pocket for my head door to pass between the two. Turned out well.
Helpful pics! You've a similar situation to mine, so adding a plate to broaden the distribution sounds like a good aide. Thanks much!!
Old 03-01-2021, 12:07   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
I also have a Lancer 44 and the compression post is directly under the mast. It sticks out in the hallway by 4 inches. On top of the post is a 1 foot square 1 inch thick aluminum plate. On top of that is solid fiberglass to the deck skin. I know this boat had lots of upgrades just prior to my purchasing it 13 years ago but I thought this was original. Is your 44 a motorsailer and what is the build year?
Mine is a 1981 motorsailer. Can you share a pic of the area?
Old 03-01-2021, 12:10   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
As an owner of a design that has a deck stepped mast without a compression post I'd look into fabricating a lateral cross support to address that.
The support should be able to be positioned under the mast base and bolted to compression bulkheads.

I had similar problems with a noticeable compression spot at my base.
As the support had been installed I found that one bulkhead had rotted enough to allow sagging to one side.
I was able to loosen the standing rigging enough to jack the mast up from inside, had to remove some flooring to align the jack with the mast, and on top of the keel.
Once jacked enough to see some light between the cabin skin and the metal support was able to shim with aluminum plate.
I repaired the bad bulkhead and reinforced the tabbing to the hull.
The area is solid now.

Having read that the other poster with the Lancer 44 mast is supported under the mast and protrudes into the hallway down to the keel would be the right way to support the mast.

Mariners of the year I own just wanted an open design without the post in the way, and only had a FRP stringer across the top.
That was not adequate, so the lateral support was adopted as a fix.
I imagine that eventually you'll encounter this issue, the evidence being the crack that has formed under it.

With the mast not completely flat to the cabin top and the base tipped a bit ( likely from mast alignment and sagging) it will with use loosen and your standing rigging adjustment will become loose as well.

Any better pictures to see where a support could be placed to address this issue?
SV Cloud Duster
Yes, I think I can put a "sister" post next to the existing, and it will just be behind the door to the berth. See pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210103_114307a.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	229873   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210103_114244a.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	229874  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210103_093716a.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	229875  
Old 03-01-2021, 12:13   #20

Not a problem, it just supports the roof structure. the offset is minimal.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 18:21   #21

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

It is a bit hard to get good shots because of the doors. My compression post is 1/2 in the closet and half in the hallway. I will try to load up some shots to my photos in the user section of CF.
Lancerbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 19:44   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwanderer View Post
Helpful pics! You've a similar situation to mine, so adding a plate to broaden the distribution sounds like a good aide. Thanks much!!
Being truthful, I was hoping the plate would fix everything when I put the original compression post in. It flex a little so I added the second post and that, with the plate fixed it all
MikeHoncho is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, lancer, compression