Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2009, 23:55   #1

Boat: Nantucket 33
Comparing Seaworthy Classic 30'-ish Yachts

I know this is a bit of a broad topic but I think there are many people who are after something like this and it would be nice to have a comparison.

So far the yachts on the list would be;

Compass built H28 (29.5' New zealand)
Nicholson 32
Bristol 32
Alberg 30
Luders 33
Cape dory 30
Cape dory 33
Clansman 30 (peter cole design Australia)
Allied Luders 33

So I know this is not a comprehensive list so feel free to add some.

So which compared to wich is the fastest,
which the most roomy,
best overall value,
most comfy in a seaway,
strongest built,
best fit and finish,
most fun,

please feel free to add whatever other items you would like to compare.

Ill start with what little I know.
Compass H28 seems better finished and roomier then the clansman 30
Nicholson 32 seems better fit finish and roomy then the clansman 30..
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:29   #2

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mischief View Post
I know this is a bit of a broad topic...
please feel free to add whatever other items you would like to compare.
I’m gunna weigh in here in part to keep the thread active, but also because we’re mulling over a similar thing… The Admiral wants a little more cabin room and I want a boat that handles pretty much like the B24 we have, so I’ve been looking at some of the same vessels you’ve mentioned with an eye to seaworthiness (another never-ending debate, I realize…).

In part our tentative interest in the 29-33 foot range is budgetary… these earlier (largely CCA style) boats tend to be generally easily afforded and often over-built, but boat on boat condition is everything… however, they are also of the unpretentious size and general simplicity where much of the machinery, rig and other tackle are not terribly challenging for the do-it-yourselfer, not to mention that most on your list, while not rocket-ships, are mild mannered, obedient and gracious -- while offering a generally reasonable turn of speed… But one thing they are not is roomy in comparison with modern, beamier, vessels…

Since I’m actually content with our reality-sized B24 (and having once had a boat I considered too large for fun…); with a rig upgrade I think she should be able to tackle far more water than most folks give her credit for (after all 6000# on a 19 waterline is pretty chunky and doesn’t get tossed around a lot for her size – a quality I’d like to replicate in a “new” vessel…) I’d like to clone her general form and style of hull – slack bilged, medium to full keel and modest beam… Not trendy, but works for me… however, I have no recent knowledge of those vessels other than what I read on the Net, so hopefully some more experienced will chime in…
Old 01-12-2009, 08:47   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Throw a Shannon 28 and Valiant 32 in there too mate... And don't forget the Island Packets if your looking for shallow draft and lots of space.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:32   #4

Boat: Bristol 38.8
In addition to the boats already mentioned...

Allied Seawind 30
Allied Seawind II 32 (roomy)
Baba 30
Bayfield 32
BCC (most expensive, that's for sure)
Contessa 32
Nicholson 31
Islander 32 MK II
Pacific Seacraft 31
Pearson Triton 28
Southern Cross 28
Southern Cross 31
Tartan 34
Westsail 32
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:51   #5

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Mischief,

I have to weigh in on this thread if for no other reason than that my previous boat, a C&C Redwing 30 was named Mischief
I bought her as a neglected boat and completely re-built it. Strange bottom shape, but boy--was she a sweet sailor!!
I think an important consideration is that in the size range you are looking at, prices on material for rigging, deck hardware and sheets, lines,etc are still reasonable.
Once you cross that 39-40ft size, you're out of the marine centers and into special order. Prices do NOT rise in proportion. Good luck.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:53   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Of all the boats mentioned the only ones I've been aboard have been the Allied Seawind 30 and the Westsail 32. Two very different boats with the Westsail having very much room and the Allied a more older traditional lean beam. Each are equally at home at sea.
Westsail factory finished boats are well done with lots of wood. Allied are well done with some interior plastic showing. Because of the price differential I'd pick the Allied.
regards,
Old 01-12-2009, 09:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
In addition to the boats already mentioned...

Allied Seawind 30
Allied Seawind II 32 (roomy)
Baba 30
Bayfield 32
BCC (most expensive, that's for sure)
Contessa 32
Nicholson 31
Islander 32 MK II
Pacific Seacraft 31
Pearson Triton 28
Southern Cross 28
Southern Cross 31
Tartan 34
Westsail 32
I certainly agree that the Islander 32 Mk II (Bob Perry design) and the Pearson Triton belong on the list. And the attractive thing about them is they can be bought pretty cheap if one looks hard and long enough.

What about the Pearson Vanguard 32?
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:00   #8

or the Sea Sprite 34 (full keel Bill Luders design, built by C.E. Ryder)

or the Sabre 30 or 34.

Or, IMHO one of the most beautiful boats ever built, the Cheoy Lee Offshore 31 Hereshoff ketch
Old 01-12-2009, 19:24   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I forgot to mention the bulletproof Cascade 29s and Rawson 30s. Look for factory finished boats and check for soft decks no matter which boat you consider.
regards,
Old 01-12-2009, 21:43   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Could you not add beam to the length and thereby get a broad cut at volume. This could cut down on some boats or at least allow some further categorization.

The issue with these lists is you end up with too many boats to review.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 22:03   #11

Boat: Nantucket 33
Thanks to everyone for thier input. I sort of left all the double enders off my list because I sort of think of them as tradtional. Instead of the calsic CCA type yachts. Dont get me wrong I Love double enders and if it was in my budget I would buy a PS 34 or a Westsail 32 in a second.

Truelly though you guys are right the yachts mentioned are still clasic and despite them being out of my price range they would not be out of the price range of others.

For me Im looking at the these type yachts in part because of thier prices (looking for around $30k or under) and the other advantages that have already been mentioned ie hardware and rigging costs etc.

I understand that the CD 33 are much roomier then a Bristol 32 but I have no first hand knowledge. How else do these compare? which is more bang for buck which is more fun to sail?
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:09   #12

I don't find the CD's roomy at all. The CD 30 is small with terrible headroom, and the 33 isn't much better. My 30 ft cutter has more room than either of those two boats, and that includes storage and tankage.
Old 03-12-2009, 16:37   #13

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
A bristol.. 29.9 ?...very well built....good sailing characteristics, not spacious but adequate.
Old 04-12-2009, 13:36   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
fairy, I think there are lots of boats to choose from in the less spacious catagory.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 17:58   #15

Boat: a sailing boat
LOLing ...

And which one has better gelcoat and uses less anti-foul ...

Man: you have asked an endlessly open question and will get a handful of very biased replies ... ;-)))

Seriously now, my EU take:

Anything built in GB (oh divine contessa, frances, twister) will be pretty outside and ugly inside. For some strange reason, the Brits did not discover creature comforts until they started importing Bavarias. But many of their design will SAIL. Maybe this is the strange reason in itself.

Anything built in the US will be the opposite - will have good interior, good layout, good galley, good head. But US built boats will not sail. After all, where would a yankee owner like to sail - US is the best place on Earth. But I would always pick up a US boat over a British one for a live-aboard.

I like some EU boats from the times when the EU was just a nightmare in a free man's bad dream. Things from Holland and Scandinavia had interiors on par with US boats, and some of them would sail too (although often not quite as well as the GB boats).

So have your pick.

If you are from that side of the pond, then I would also shortlist Babas, Valiants, PSs, IPs, HChs, etc.. Just in case you plan on some offshore work.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seaworthy