Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2009, 14:02   #31

Boat: Harstad 31' (32' LOD) Serendipity
Send a message via ICQ to tomperanteau Send a message via AIM to tomperanteau Send a message via MSN to tomperanteau Send a message via Yahoo to tomperanteau Send a message via Skype™ to tomperanteau
How about the good old Harstad 31 Motorsailer?
tomperanteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 14:59   #32

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin
Harstad 31? I found it on line at sailboatdata.com

Ten were built in the mid 70s. Nice looking small boat for coastal work. Might be hard to find another one?

When I was a little kid, there used to be a fair number of small motor sailors around. The folks who owned them went lots of places and had fun.

Where have you been and how do you find your boat?
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 15:18   #33

Send a message via ICQ to tomperanteau Send a message via AIM to tomperanteau Send a message via MSN to tomperanteau Send a message via Yahoo to tomperanteau Send a message via Skype™ to tomperanteau
Actually, I threw my post in the mix to see the reactions. They are a scarce boat, and yes, depending on who you talk to between 6 and 12 were made. The molds were also used for the Clipper 32 (the Harstad is actually 32' LOD).

I bought mine on Ebay of all places. We thoroughly inspected her before we turned over the check. We take her to Catalina Island a few times a month and the wife loves to fish, so we go out a few times a week to troll.
Old 29-12-2009, 15:47   #34

Interesting what one can find on eBay.

A couple we knew in St Maarten had sailed a boat similar in look to yours but closer in size to 40 feet from South Africa to Europe to the Caribbean.

As a result of looking up your boat I followed the links at sailboatdata to read more about Bill Crealock and his designs, look them up, etc.

Our boat, Averisera, is about the same length as yours but the similarities stop there. I do find the designs that are about ten meters long are very interesting. It is a length that is large enough to do it all without being too small. A sort of sweet spot in design.

Our sailing area is based out of Boston, MA. we range from Newport, RI to Maine's mid coast. Next season we look forward to sailing down to NY City and back. The major factor is time. Sailing over to Catalina a couple times a month sounds pretty lush right about now. This evening it is blowing 30 knots and the temp is under freezing. We are tucked in by the fire and the boat is under wraps in the yard.

Enjoy your next sail, eh?
Averisera - the adventure
Old 29-12-2009, 16:12   #35

I quite agree with you on the size issue. They can be really roomy if designed well.

I looked up you boat, too. Nice boat! She looks to be a lot more fun on the water than on the snow... I'll bet that summers are an especially precious time where you are. Would be interesting to sail up around that area some day. Catalina can be a bit cool this time of year, but we're only talking about upper 40's at night, so I can't complain.
Old 29-12-2009, 16:21   #36

at the risk of hijacking the thread... Catalina winters at temps in the 40s, ha. Maine in the summer!

One advantage to 4 1/2 foot head room is that it stays warm down below on cold nights. Otherwise, i do not think there are any more advantages. We make do.
Old 29-12-2009, 18:56   #37

Boat: a sailing boat
To Trebek, on WOOLLACOTT ketch:

I think I visited a sister ship when I lived in Westhaven, Auck. That one was a very lovely thing being under part time restoration by her new owner. IN NZ one can still get some fine items fabricated, from engine parts to plastic bearings, to bronze chainplates, so the project was very 'rustic' but this actually only adds to this sort of a boat.

I would love one like this for day trips and weekend-overs on the bay and along the coast when the weather is fine. And when the weather is not quite so fine, it is hard to imagine a more cozy boat to stay in a nice anchorage, listen to the howling wind and sip one's ----- (fill in the blanks with whatever is your favoirite)

So, within a specific kind of cruising area - ABSOLUTELY YES !
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 08:21   #38

Boat: In the market, as it were, but to be S/V Andronikos
Firstly, my Maine summers are quite pleasant so I'll have you all be quiet now.We have one 60 degree weekend and thats plenty.
Secondly, back to the actual purpose of discussion, I can only speak for four of these boats with experience. My family owned Cape Dory 30 hull 243 from 9/90-9/09 and we cruised extensively up and down the Maine coast. It's a great, stable boat in a blow, but it always goes 5 knots. 5 freaking knots. When we motor, 5 knots. When we sail in 25 knot winds, 5 knots. It only doesn't go five knots when we sail in average weather when it went 3. But I loved sailing and being on the water, so I loved the boat to death. It's a great choice if you don't mind making Portland to Boothbay a 6 1/2 hour day. A major downside is, when anchored, it seems that when all the boats start rocking, ours remained rocking longer because of the additional weight below the waterline and that pendulum effect. The Alberg 30 was the same hull, so it would most likely experience that as well. It was tiller steered for the most part, though, while the Cape Dory was an aft cockpit wheel model. The CD gave you a choice between cutter or ketch and some have been converted to sloops with the removal of stayboom hardware. It's true they're not incredibly spacious, but they're very safe boats and that's whats important.
We did a number of Cape Dory cruises and got a chance to become intimately familiar with the interior of CD33 #38 (S/V Evening Light). It was much more spacious than the 30 IMHO and had the added benefit of a nav station and quarterberth while keeping essentially the same size kitchen. The 33 is also not CD's only model of that length, the 330 was another design which may be worth considering, but I hesitate to see it torn apart by any Cape Dory haters out there.
The other boat I can speak on is the Bristol 32 which we have encountered in the form of a boat accompanying on yacht club cruises to Mount Desert. I did not love the boat and it didn't have the option of a staysail which irked me greatly. The interior was somewhat similar to Cape Dorys, but I felt it was less homey and it was also tiller steered. I have no problem with tillers, but in my experience a wheel is easier for navigating in our area as dodging lobster pots is important and they are much easier to see when standing behind a wheel.
All things considered, with cash not being an object, I would choose the CD33/330 based on my personal experience with the boats. However, if a nice herreshoff like a Neriera presented itself to me I'd be hard-pressed to say no.
Well, there's my too-poor-to-give-2-cents worth.

In Memoriam
S/V Andronikos
1982 CD30 #243
"You were once mine"
lobstahpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 08:19   #39

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Hey lobstah, I am hull#220 '81 CD30. I totally agree with ya (except for the Maine weather part but don't want to "poke the lion" as they say, so I will remain silent on that topic ) Anyways, they are great boats, great sailors, strong as an ox with sweet graceful lines.
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seaworthy