Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2021, 15:26   #16
lyl

Re: Compac 23 & 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanehole View Post
My godson made the mistake of telling his mother the story. You can imagine the phone call I got.
lol!
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 06:07   #17

Boat: Compac 27, 1987 on the Banana River, Florida

We bought a 1987 Compac 27 hull#66 as our first boat last October, we have sailed it in the Banana River (between Melbourne and Cape Canaveral) are able to make 5-6 knots in moderate winds, don't have anything to compare it to as far as pointing, since I haven't sailed many other boats of similar size but it does have noticeable 'weather helm' in gusts. It is comfortable to overnight on at the marina, and we have overnighted at anchor. Ours is generally original equipment, rig and sails so I'm not confident in taking ours into 'blue water' based on the age of equipment combined with our experience level as sailors. However, we have had a rigger on it and he felt all of the rig was serviceable, although as I say that we did have a crack in a back stay and had him replace that (parts and labor) about $500. We have the original Universal engine and is has been solid so far. I will also say in our marina full of Catalina's, Hunters, O'days, Watkins and the like mostly 80s era, we receive a lot of compliments on the boats looks and condition. So from our point of view it has been the right 'first boat' for us. It clearly isn't a racer but we do join our monthly 'beer can' regatta and do the best we can!
Kebs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 10:59   #18
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebs3 View Post
We bought a 1987 Compac 27 hull#66 as our first boat last October, we have sailed it in the Banana River (between Melbourne and Cape Canaveral) are able to make 5-6 knots in moderate winds, don't have anything to compare it to as far as pointing, since I haven't sailed many other boats of similar size but it does have noticeable 'weather helm' in gusts. It is comfortable to overnight on at the marina, and we have overnighted at anchor. Ours is generally original equipment, rig and sails so I'm not confident in taking ours into 'blue water' based on the age of equipment combined with our experience level as sailors. However, we have had a rigger on it and he felt all of the rig was serviceable, although as I say that we did have a crack in a back stay and had him replace that (parts and labor) about $500. We have the original Universal engine and is has been solid so far. I will also say in our marina full of Catalina's, Hunters, O'days, Watkins and the like mostly 80s era, we receive a lot of compliments on the boats looks and condition. So from our point of view it has been the right 'first boat' for us. It clearly isn't a racer but we do join our monthly 'beer can' regatta and do the best we can!
enjoy!
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:49   #19
cruiser

A question to the Compac owners. What to you do to keep cool in a Compac in hot weather?
laila23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 13:51   #20

Boat: Compac 27, 1987 on the Banana River, Florida

While on the dock with shorepower we have a standup portable air conditioning unit, we vent it out of the passageway. It actually fits in the cut out of the v berth and we bungee cord it in place when under sail. It does fine to cut the humidity and make the temperature at night liveable, that being said we only started using the boat in October, I don't know that we will be overnighting as often in the summer but I guess we will figure that out. Away from shore power, the hatches and portholes have screens, we will probably need some battery operated fans also.
Kebs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 15:44   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebs3 View Post
We bought a 1987 Compac 27 hull#66 as our first boat last October, .......
We have the original Universal engine and is has been solid so far. .............................

Congratulations on your nice boat.

You may be interested in this link for your engine:

Engines 101 - The BIGGEST & BEST collection of M25 Series Universal Engine Information on the Internet, plus some M35, too

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Diesel_Engine
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:30   #22

Boat: Shark 24 / Compac23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post
This was a helpful response, TY!
How bad its pointing compared to the other boats you've owned?
Pointing is not good at all. So if you are in a situation where you need to go up wind in a channel you are tacking all the time, and because of the shallow draft to slide to leeward with every tack.

So that is why I have two small boats. One that tacks through 90 which I race, and the Compac that does not. A terrific boat is the Shark 24, designed for all kinds of winds and easy to sail. Downside...very small cabin and I would not like to cruise in it...but tons of people do.
Favoured Tack is offline   Reply With Quote