Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2020, 06:46   #1

Common issues Beneteau Oceanis 40 - pre purchase checklist

Hi all,

My last boat deal fell through because the seller did not disclose a severe issue. This came to light only by chance and after we had signed the contract and paid a deposit but before the official survey. Anyhow, the deal was canceled, and we are about to see another boat.

This time I would like to do a better job during the showing with the broker and check as much as I can myself. Sure there will be a professional check by a surveyor, but I think it would not hurt to find more obvious problems before the negotiation.

I do have a general checklist for buying a sailboat, but I am wondering if there is a more specific checklist for Beneteau boats or even for the Beneteau Oceanis 40. While the latter is likely not the case, I am wondering if people could give me some hints on where to look for common problems in this type of boat.

I appreciate every input.

Thanks,
Christoph
miraculix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 14:33   #2

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058
Re: Common issues Beneteau Oceanis 40 - pre purchase checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraculix View Post
Hi all,

My last boat deal fell through because the seller did not disclose a severe issue. This came to light only by chance and after we had signed the contract and paid a deposit but before the official survey. Anyhow, the deal was canceled, and we are about to see another boat.

This time I would like to do a better job during the showing with the broker and check as much as I can myself. Sure there will be a professional check by a surveyor, but I think it would not hurt to find more obvious problems before the negotiation.

I do have a general checklist for buying a sailboat, but I am wondering if there is a more specific checklist for Beneteau boats or even for the Beneteau Oceanis 40. While the latter is likely not the case, I am wondering if people could give me some hints on where to look for common problems in this type of boat.

I appreciate every input.

Thanks,
Christoph

I ASSUME YOU GOT YOUR FIRST DEPOSIT BACK?

I would be asking about lightning strikes, hull/keel groundings that needed reapir, last time keel was dropped/inspected, last mast stepping, rigging inspection and age. And with a saildrive I would be all over the maintenance on that so ask for records/receipts.
GreenWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 07:33   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds
Re: Common issues Beneteau Oceanis 40 - pre purchase checklist

I was once told "be a seller until you are the buyer" What he meant was don't kill a deal until you have the seller committed. I have used the following strategy with some success. The purchase price is the number one thing to agree on. If you don't everything else is a waste of time. To get the best deal I make a really simple offer. The price, subject to a survey. I state a s part of the agreement that any disclosed issue is the responsibility of me, any undisclosed issue the responsibility of the seller. They are given the opportunity to walk instead of complying, but if they do, they pay for the haulout and survey (I've put in a fixed dollar amount for simplicity - a break up fee). I hire a surveyor independent from one recommended by the boat broker (obvious reasons). They have been the expert every time to find the issues. I would say the seller has said no to this strategy more than yes. The most common reason is "I don't know what is wrong with the boat". That of course leads to "then I don't know what I'm paying for the boat". Twice I wanted the boat badly enough we compromised on a lower break up fee and we went forward.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, oceanis, purchase