Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2022, 12:12   #1

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Comfortina 38

Looking to buy a Comfortina 38, but its hard to find any information about the design of the boat, does anyone know about it?

Also i noticed that the topsides are cored, and i am trying to figure out the core material used.
Old 17-02-2022, 04:23   #2

Boat: ISLAND PACKET SP CRUISER
Re: Comfortina 38

Polish built IIRC.

A few smaller - trailer sailers - were sold in the UK by a dealer near Ramsgate.
rotrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 08:27   #3

Boat: Regina 43

Sorry to disagree but comfortina yachts are produced by comfort yachts in Germany and are built to the absolute highest quality standards. I mean that literally. No other builder anywhere in the world builds to the same standards as comfort yachts. These are a boats for those who really know their onions.

All comfortinas are moderate cruiser-racer designs with standard classic layouts both internal and on deck. They sail extremely well in all weathers and are a joy both cruising and racing but don’t expect them to plane on downwind legs. Interior volume has been sacrificed somewhat to performance so they are smaller for their length than the AWBs you see these days.

But what really set these boats apart is the quality. One example of this is that when you look at the interior of the hull it looks like the have a hull liner but actually this company gel coats the interior side of the sandwich hull and deck. That’s just one example of the insane quality standards these boats are built to (and I’m speaking as a Regina owner). No other boat is built like a comfortina. If you find a comfortina that meets your program at your price point and that has been kept well then you are an idiot if you don’t try to buy that boat. You will not find anything better.
Na Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 11:19   #4

Interesting. Took me two presses of the keyboard to find Comfortina Yachts, Danzig, Poland.........................................
Old 17-02-2022, 11:26   #5

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Sailboat Data's web site promotes Comfortbåtar AB as the builder of the Comfortina 38.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/comfortina-38

Comfortbåtar AB's website states that prior to 2012 the yachts were built in Sweden and are now being built in Germany.

https://www.comfortina.de/ueber-uns.html
Old 18-02-2022, 05:30   #6

Do you by any change know if the hull core is balsa or foam?
Old 18-02-2022, 10:02   #7

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
Do you by any change know if the hull core is balsa or foam?
No idea as to any specific core used on the 38'. The builders web-site does contain some info regarding new builds using Divinycell as a sandwich material. But nothing about the discontinued 38' model, they may be able to answer your question by phone or email according to the web site.

I did notice the following statement regarding the 38' model.

"We've given the 38 a GRP inner shell for added strength and good insulation."

https://www.comfortina.de/comfortina-38.html
Old 19-02-2022, 02:36   #8

I did another few button presses and found, very quickly, lots of references to some Comfortina models being built in Poland.

Where they are built is of little import if they are built properly.
Old 20-02-2022, 05:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
I did another few button presses and found, very quickly, lots of references to some Comfortina models being built in Poland.

Where they are built is of little import if they are built properly.

Can you share the link of their page? or what models do they build?
The one i am looking on was built in sweden
Old 20-02-2022, 09:16   #10

Boat: Nautor's Swan 431

Those old Comfortinas were built in Sweden by Comfortbåtar. It was considered a reasonably priced mid-range cruiser with very good sailing abilities at that time, although it never gained the same popularity as its smaller sister Comfortina 32 which was a great success here. BTW at the beginning of their business, the first ”Sweden Yachts 34” was a further development of the old Comfort 34 hull. We have quite small circles here…

https://www.sailguide.com/batfakta/comfortina-38

IHe, Finland
Swan 431 ”CAID”
ihe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 06:39   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihe2 View Post
Those old Comfortinas were built in Sweden by Comfortbåtar. It was considered a reasonably priced mid-range cruiser with very good sailing abilities at that time, although it never gained the same popularity as its smaller sister Comfortina 32 which was a great success here. BTW at the beginning of their business, the first ”Sweden Yachts 34” was a further development of the old Comfort 34 hull. We have quite small circles here…

https://www.sailguide.com/batfakta/comfortina-38

IHe, Finland
Swan 431 ”CAID”

Yes they look good, hull construction is looking good no doubts, some age and negletion issues, and luck of space compare to other model but i am kind in love with it.
Old 23-02-2022, 02:26   #12

Quote:
Can you share the link of their page? or what models do they build?
The one i am looking on was built in sweden

I simply googled "Comfortina Yachts" and "Comfortina Yachts Poland"

Here in the UK several results showed me that some Comfortina models were Polish built. Others appeared to be German built.
Old 06-03-2022, 06:52   #13

have inspected 2 of them, both had flexible top cabin deck, one was built in the German yard and the other from Sweden.
the one had fire damage before so I blamed the issue to the fact that the bottom layer of glass was missing , but the same issue existed on the one without fire damage.
the deck is foam core and it isn't wet or rotten on bothboats but maybe delaminated due to the teak deck screws ?
same issue have been found on a comfortina 32 of a friend without teackdeck .....
Old 09-03-2023, 11:21   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Na Mara View Post
Sorry to disagree but comfortina yachts are produced by comfort yachts in Germany and are built to the absolute highest quality standards. I mean that literally. No other builder anywhere in the world builds to the same standards as comfort yachts. These are a boats for those who really know their onions.

All comfortinas are moderate cruiser-racer designs with standard classic layouts both internal and on deck. They sail extremely well in all weathers and are a joy both cruising and racing but don’t expect them to plane on downwind legs. Interior volume has been sacrificed somewhat to performance so they are smaller for their length than the AWBs you see these days.

But what really set these boats apart is the quality. One example of this is that when you look at the interior of the hull it looks like the have a hull liner but actually this company gel coats the interior side of the sandwich hull and deck. That’s just one example of the insane quality standards these boats are built to (and I’m speaking as a Regina owner). No other boat is built like a comfortina. If you find a comfortina that meets your program at your price point and that has been kept well then you are an idiot if you don’t try to buy that boat. You will not find anything better.

I used to have the same opinion as you , now that I own one I can tell you they have delamination issues , specially the ones build in Sweden, it seems they were using 2 types of foams in the sandwich divinecel and one harder which I can't tell what it is , both foams are closed cell but the harder one does crack which cause flexing .

I have also discovered bad workmanship on the fiberglass job so I am not very happy which it to be honest.

Is a good tough sailing boat though which is very pleasant to sail , bottom (not cored part ) looks solid .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 14:41   #15

Quote:
I used to have the same opinion as you , now that I own one I can tell you they have delamination issues , specially the ones build in Sweden, it seems they were using 2 types of foams in the sandwich divinecel and one harder which I can't tell what it is , both foams are closed cell but the harder one does crack which cause flexing .

I have also discovered bad workmanship on the fiberglass job so I am not very happy which it to be honest.

Is a good tough sailing boat though which is very pleasant to sail , bottom (not cored part ) looks solid .
Just found this thread since I am in the market for my next boat.

Comfortina 38 is on the wish list, and I have found an -88 model tha looks great inside but with a teak deck that has seen better days. Seems to be no "flex in the deck" walking around on it, but the teak will need replacement sooner than later.

If I end up buying it I will have the boat lifted and inspected, but didnt really like your comment about bad workmanship on the fiberglass... care to share more around where? Anything in particular to look out for?

Thanks in advance.
watchskiing is offline   Reply With Quote