Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2017, 04:20   #76

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Comfort/stability of 33, 37 and 40' production boats in blue water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
They are and I seem to remember there was something wrong with the yacht like half the rudder missing which is why she won't sail down wind but can't be exact.

Pete
Several of the crew were injured due to a knockdown and rough seas generated by a hurricane in 1996. There was also damage to the boat

See near the bottom of the page in the link below. S/V Anita has sailed roughly 320,000 miles ........

The History of the 12M Yacht

S/V Anita Specs:

Daten der 12 mR Yacht
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 08:49   #77

I agree with the basic principles, like skeg protected rudder. However, available boats matching these criteria are usually 30+years old. One has to do a really thorough 3rd party survey and probably put in 1/2 the purchase price in refit before sailing away... (most likely any "decent design" ~37'-er would stretch the bill well beyond 60k after fitted ready for ARC). Not to mention, these may be <10% of the boats for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
These are two pretty good websites that helped me. You may want to check them out.

Both have lists of boats to give you an idea of what may work as an offshore boat for you

Mahina Expeditions - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising

Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 09:02   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
I agree with the basic principles, like skeg protected rudder. However, available boats matching these criteria are usually 30+years old. One has to do a really thorough 3rd party survey and probably put in 1/2 the purchase price in refit before sailing away... (most likely any "decent design" ~37'-er would stretch the bill well beyond 60k after fitted ready for ARC). Not to mention, these may be <10% of the boats for sale.
A 30 year old boat in great condition might be just the thing for a guy buying his first boat. There are some fine boats on that Mahina List and many similar boats available that are not on the List

You may not even like sailing.

I had 4 sailboats before this one all beach cats that I raced. I bought an old monohull in 2011 at a very low price because I wasn't sure I'd like sailing around so slowly and not racing.

That was 6 years ago.

I paid $2,000 for it and have put maybe another $6,000 into it with new sails, engine, solar, inverter, controller, bottom paint, topside paint, etc. It came with everything else including dodger, bimini, and lots of anchors

It was to be my test boat in prep for a larger one but things have occurred where I'll be using it for a while especially since it can do everything I need it to do.

I have talked several buyers out of buying it and finally took it off the selling site
Old 26-02-2017, 13:10   #79

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

GTom,

I have sort of come in in the middle of the story, in that Jim already had a boat when we took our first offshore passage. The boat he had, that he had been enjoying for a while, was a Yankee 30, an S & S design, that he had strengthened according to input from S&S. It was fine for the round trip to HI, and return to SF. Being only 30 ft. long was not a problem in any way, for that passage.

However, she sailed on her ear a lot, and we found that characteristic tiring, especially in the large beam seas we encountered on the way. Anyhow, the decision was made to buy a bigger boat, and we bought a Palmer Johnson Standfast 36, a one-tonner. We cruised that boat from SF via Mexico, the Marquesas, Tuamotus and Societies, and back to SF. Our financial arrangements had not worked so well after leaving Mexico, and we went back to work for a year, and I sold my house. Subsequently, we did the milk run to NZ, then did extensive cruising in the SW Pacific. All on the 36, with 50 gals. water capacity. Based on our 18 yrs. on the 36, I think that would indeed be good as a cruising boat, especially if you are singlehanding. In fact, if Moody made a 34, and is old enough to be a good quality boat (built before cost-cutting), it just might suit you. The Brits have a reputation for having built a goodly number of all 'round boats, and that seems to me what you really want for a cruising lifestyle.

Ann

PS. You may have noticed from my avatar that we now have a 46 foot boat. We wanted two more cabins for kids and grandkids to visit. I wouldn't recommend yielding to this weakness to someone else, those people had other fish to fry, by and large.

A.

On edit, someone said don't buy long and narrow. That seems to me to be too much of a simplification. Long and narrow, with a fin keel and without slack bilges will make a fast, easily driven boat. Round bilges are rolly downwind. But so are pinched sterns. Possibly a book on yacht design listing all the compromises the designers have to make would help you understand more than you do at this point.

A.
Old 26-02-2017, 13:54   #80

Thanks Ann, that Standfast is an interesting design, 7k lbs ballast with almost 7' draft should make it rock stable Besides that heavy but short keel must have provided you great access to shallow lagoons.

As for length, I'll stay below 40', plenty of space for my 3 - maybe later 4 member family. I'll take a look at Moody 37's, pre-'85 models come around my price range. If those 30year old boats can live another 30...

Quote:
A 30 year old boat in great condition might be just the thing for a guy buying his first boat.
Right, if the hull is intact (free of osmosis & damage) probably everything can be patched...
Old 26-02-2017, 14:32   #81

(Edit requested from the admin, the "short keel" sentence doesn't make sense for the Standfast - but it does for the Moody 37)
Old 26-02-2017, 15:16   #82

Quote:

30 year old boats.....

Right, if the hull is intact (free of osmosis & damage) probably everything can be patched...
Patched?

My boat is 42 years old and I have yet to do any structural repairs.

I have painted the bottom a couple times though..........

I think you may be underestimating the strength of older boats but that's understandable since you've never owned a boat
Old 26-02-2017, 15:27   #83

Quote:
I think you may be underestimating the strength of older boats but that's understandable since you've never owned a boat
Yupp, that's what I should find out. Anyway, I removed the "year 2000 - 2017" filter from my searches
Old 26-02-2017, 15:38   #84

Quote:
Yupp, that's what I should find out. Anyway, I removed the "year 2000 - 2017" filter from my searches

In the fall, I was daysailing along the shore here with a heavy, gusty offshore wind. This guy came sailing up to me on a 50' or so new Beneteau. He had dual helm etc but his sails were so misadjusted they were making whooping noise. They were so loose. It was pretty sad to see on such a beautiful boat. I didn't know what the noise was until he came by which took him way longer than it should have

I noticed once during a race that the newer boats with the plumb bows had trouble in the larger waves and were pounding over them whereas the older rocker style boats rode over them smoothly

My last racing boat was a 2001 and it was very fast and could point very high.

Having experienced that and the older boats when I buy again it will be something in the middle like a Pretorien 35 or maybe a Bristol 35.5

but I have always liked the older, stronger designs

BoatUS - Boat Reviews - Wauquiez Pretorien 35

(or maybe the Gladiateur 33 since it comes with a tiller. I'm a tiller guy)

Bristol 35.5C - Boat Reviews Article
Old 26-02-2017, 16:28   #85

Quote:
Here's a pretty cool comparison.

If I'm offshore (offshore as in 200 miles not 10), I'm liking the Pretorien but the Beneteau sure is newer, faster, and prettier assets which may be higher on your list

2006 Beneteau 37

BENETEAU 37 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

1979 Pretorien 35

PRETORIEN 35 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Old 26-02-2017, 17:10   #86

Actually the Bene 37 with 4.5' draft is definitely not on the list, the 373 (only the deep, 6' draft version) crossed my mind along the First 40.7 .
Old 26-02-2017, 17:51   #87

Quote:
Actually the Bene 37 with 4.5' draft is definitely not on the list, the 373 (only the deep, 6' draft version) crossed my mind along the First 40.7 .
Both beautiful, fast boats.

I just like the Bal/Disp of the Pretorien and other similar boats of that era

Another old, seaworthy boat.

SWAN 36 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Here's a good boat for a single hander. The AVS on this boat is like 156 or so

CONTESSA 32 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

https://www.google.com/search?q=cont...cjzvgsvtltDBgM:
Old 27-02-2017, 04:55   #88

Boat: no boat any more

question is if you survive the rolling on a deep reach long in enough to be in a position to eventually enjoy the high stability should the big storm come...
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 05:12   #89
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Comfort/stability of 33, 37 and 40' production boats in blue water?

With the Bene Firsts make sure you get a really good surveyor for the job..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 05:59   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
With the Bene Firsts make sure you get a really good surveyor for the job..
For that matter, I'll try to get a pair of trained eyes for any boat (1st boat in the family), I hear even brand new boats have issues quite often - while with that "everlasting 40 years old veteran" one has to check for hidden damage...

Tags
boat, water