Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2012, 19:26   #1

Boat: Com-Pac 23/3
We recently purchased a 1988 Com-Pac 23/3 which has a nice CDI FF2 fuller with a decent 110 sail on it. Having sailed a Com-Pac 16 and 19 previously, we found that they really needed a larger headsail to get decent performance under 15 knots of wind. We sail inland lakes, including Green Bay, and are wondering if the 23 will need a larger headsail or not. 135 / 150 ? Any ideas?

Mike and Admiral B
Wrinklesinoursails.Blogspot.Com
Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 19:52   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene
We recently purchased a 1988 Com-Pac 23/3 which has a nice CDI FF2 fuller with a decent 110 sail on it. Having sailed a Com-Pac 16 and 19 previously, we found that they really needed a larger headsail to get decent performance under 15 knots of wind. We sail inland lakes, including Green Bay, and are wondering if the 23 will need a larger headsail or not. 135 / 150 ? Any ideas?

Mike and Admiral B
I carry a 150 with a full cut (i.e. not a high clew "yankee") on a furler year round. Our yearly average wind is probably less than 8 knots and our peak 4 month season averages 15-20 with occasional 25 knot days. We furl to 100% maybe 10 times a year. At those times the "inefficiency" of the furled sail is not a factor as we are at hull speed anyway.

You need to evaluate your winds and get a sail that will do 90% of the year unfurled. My impression is the lakes can get pretty windy but I have no experience there. Might be a 135 for you...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 05:59   #3

Thanks. Our 19 had the 135 and it was pretty useful in our sailing areas, but there are those days when we wished it was a bit bigger. Maybe I could go with a 135 and add a big drifter to the inventory for those lazy wind days.

Mike and B
Old 03-03-2012, 15:59   #4

Anyone buy a Sailrite kit and make up a drifter? How about a 150 genny for a roller furler? Worth the effort or not?

Mike and Brenda
Old 17-08-2012, 17:33   #5

Boat: Com-pac 25
Re: Com-Pac 23/3 Headsail Decision

Having owned a Com-pac 23 before, I can share some first hand experience. The 23 can be very easily overpowered with a large headsail when sailing up wind. Due to the shoal draft design and lighter concrete keel, it is not unusual for the boat to heel easily to the point where one could see water on your portlights. Fortunately, Com-pac uses high quality, water tight portlights. In fact, the 23 owner's manual even states it: Close all portlights while sailing or the water can come in! I have been soaked in the cockpit many times before whenever I pushed to windward in windy conditions.

I have also experienced on a very windy day while sailing with my son, where a sudden wind gust literally threw me overboard from the cockpit as it slammed hard then righted up just as quickly. I was lucky enough to be holding both hands on the the lifelines when the boat threw me into the water and within a split second, there I was, feet in the water, still hanging on the the lifelines with both hands, and my back against the hull. I was laughing after that happened but my kid was not amused. I still think it would have been great to see that on video.

Unless, you like to race occasionally, and already logged many hours sailing, I would recommend you err on the more conservative side when acquiring a new headsail for the 23. Definitely reef your main early as well.

Now having said all that, I still consider it a very safe trailer sailor and one of the best IMO. I have contacted the manufacturer at least 4 times on several occasions (current boat is a Com-pac 25), with various questions and every time I called them, within minutes, I was transferred to Gerry Hutchins (Com-pacs are made by Hutchins Co. Inc.) who provided me with the help I needed. That kind of service is just unheard of!

To be clear, I have not experienced the same issues with the Com-pac 25, just the 23.

Like many CF members, I have owned other boats before too. From a MacGregor to a Grampian, and an Ericson. All those boats leaked and soaked interior cushions and beddings when it rained. But I have never had problems of deck leaks coming from some mysterious source on my Com-pacs, and the bilge was always dry. And oh, no wood core = no wood rots on these boats too!
zUrchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 17:52   #6

Boat: Seaward 22

My boat has a very similar design (Seaward 22). I use a 150 on a roller furler. I'd like to add a 170 with a wire luff made of 1.5oz material for light days.

The boat likes to be sailed fairly flat. Reef early (before white caps for the genny). The boat will go faster and you will have a more comfortable ride.

A word about the furler. I had a CDI. The factory support was awesome. However mine had joints in the extrusion. The connectors for these joints wear out over time. If yours has the joints, get the spares from CDI and change them at the next opportune time (if they are original or you don't know). When the connectors failed on mine it ripped my genny. I eventually replaced it with a schaffer snap furl when I did a refit.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 21:14   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Mike, I have a 23 with a 150 and a Harken roller furler. I just roll the jib in a little when it gets to windy, and reef the main. Love the combination.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 22:14   #8

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I can't speak to the compac specifically, but I like having a drifter since it will work from almost a dead calm up to to 12-15kt whereas a heavier dacron genoa stops drawing well at about 5kt windspeed.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote