Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2015, 14:05   #16

Boat: Cal 46-3, 46' ketch
Re: Columbia, Nautica, Newport, Cal T/4 -Merged

I've been around sailboats all my life. Each brand/ era sailboat has it's own issues. Buyers, especially new buyers won't know about them/ whet to look for/ avoid major repair bills/ or get stuck not being able to sell it.

Highly encourage you seek help from boat surveyor who will know these things and independent from seller/ broker.

Also sailboats in the 26-28' length vary widely in the 'efficient' use of space. Some can feel almost twice the boat as another by its smarter interior design learned over time.

You didn't mention one of the most important measurements... draft. Does your 'use it or lose it' slip have any depth limitations? Boats you mentioned might need 4+ feet of depth (at low low tide).

Lastly, type of engine? Inboard or outboard engine and if inboard, gas or diesel... diesel being much more desired?

Sailboats are longterm family members and as others have encouraged... should be rushed into.

I found, or rather a 28' O'Day found me. It's as roomy as many 30' boats and has many features that now I can't imagine not having. Because we love it, we use it, take proper care of it, and it has increased in value as a result. Many good boats like these don't ever shown up on 'For Sale' listing. Try to get connected with other sailors/ clubs in your area and you may get calls

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
W3GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 14:12   #17

I had a Gulf 29 which was made by Capitol that was essentially a Newport 28.

I like the Newport and the Nautica on your list. I don't really like gas engines, so I would lean towards the Nautica if your focus is on day sailing.
I might like the Newport more for cruising, but I don't like to be cooking near a gas engine. Check on the hours of the Atomic 4 and if it's getting old maybe you could get a price break and replace it with an electric motor, or a diesel.

I would read up on surveying and look at all the boats for glaring problems, then negotiate and see which one is your favorite.

Since you mentioned a new baby coming. Keep in mind that you will want a place for him or her, so a quarter berth nest that is near the cockpit but out of the sun for naps or quiet time. Babies can have a lot of accessories that need stowing.
Overall, it sounds like you will be busy having fun no matter which boat you choose.
Old 06-06-2015, 14:37   #18

Good advice. A few of those boats have what I can only call "impossible to use" interiors: the ones with the galley in the middle of the cabin. Not only are those kind of layouts OLD, old fashioned and wastes of space, but they were succeeded by a lot more intelligent designs, like the Catalina 27. The C27 had two basic layouts: a dinette interior with the galley along the port side, and a "traditional" interior, with settees along each side with a small galley tucked into the aft port side of the cabin - a much superior use of space.

There's reasons those OLD layouts finally died: there's nowhere to sit comfortably down below; on a boat that small the size of the galley is completely out of proportion to the available space (I have a 34 foot boat and my galley is a tad smaller but much more functional since it is all on one side of the boat); other than the V berth and a quarterberth (if there is one) there's nowhere to stretch out in the saloon, a truly crazy idea: if someone told you they were going to take your kitchen and use up more than half of your living room in your house, what would you say?

Really, really think about the implications of the interior, no matter what you buy. It can make or break your enjoyment.

If you want to check out interiors, just go to any sailboat manufacturer's website and look. While many builders don't make small boats anymore, Catalina for example has archived their brochures for all their boats. You have to register, it's free, but Yachts and boats for sale - Catalina Yachts has a tab at the top of their website for archived brochures. Check out their C25, C27 & C28 models to see what works. I am NOT a fan of dinette interiors either, finding them a waste of valuable space.

There's a REASON traditional interiors are just that: they work!

Good luck, happy hunting.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 15:46   #19

Boat: Cal 2-30

Also take a look at Yachtworld. There is a (80's?) Hunter 27 in your price range. I don't know anything about its construction but looks similar design to the Pearson I had years ago. Has lots of ventilation, large head, aft bunk, universal diesel that worked well for me. And of course get a survey.
crashkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 16:44   #20

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

Wow, lots of interesting info. My input,(20 years in Hawaiian waters), you are going to be in the trades. If you leave the ala Wai and turn left. it will blow every afternoon at 15kts-25kts every day. Turn right towards barbers point and you will have to beat hard to get home. Santa Cruz 27 has no head room and is a racer. The 24's are too small. Get the Newport, reef the main and roller furl the jib to 100%. Stay well off of Waikiki, especially out of princes for sand bars. You live in the best sailing in the world!
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 17:12   #21

Just noticed a 27' Hunter, diesel,wheel,furling for $13k. Great little boat for day sailing Waikiki. I would bet you would love it compared to the others listed. PM me if you want more info or need help negotiating the price. I would offer $10k get a survey and start deducting from the $10k everything the surveyor finds wrong.
Old 06-06-2015, 17:14   #22

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

If you have to get an old boat, at least get a great old boat, like the Yankee Dolphin. So simple to have a delivery skipper put it right in your slip. But on any old boat, after the purchase expect to spend way beyond any rational estimate. So don't blow the whole bundle on the purchase; there'll be plenty of issues to deal with from the survey--a most stringent one is a must.

You're putting yourself under a lot of pressure to hastily find and choose a boat. You must try to be flexible in how you achieve that goal. It's hard enough to get this right even when you take years to prepare yourself and allow as long as it takes. Hard to tell from here, but the boats you listed should be near the bottom of your list, because there are such better values available near you and your budget--forget asking prices. You should be able to find a great ~25' boat for near $10k.

Once you have truly done your proper due diligence, you might find yourself so fortunate as to have a special boat choose you.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 19:09   #23

Boat: need to find one by October

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashkahuna View Post
Also take a look at Yachtworld. There is a (80's?) Hunter 27 in your price range. I don't know anything about its construction but looks similar design to the Pearson I had years ago. Has lots of ventilation, large head, aft bunk, universal diesel that worked well for me. And of course get a survey.

Yes, I loved this boat!!! I am good friends with the agent selling it. We all want it... It's caught up in custody battle, one spouse wants to sell, other won't sign papers. My dad and uncles had Hunters in the Gulf. Were very nice and comfy.
knockout_mice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 19:12   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by duefocena View Post
Just noticed a 27' Hunter, diesel,wheel,furling for $13k.
Oh is this the one at Waikiki yacht club? If so it won't work unfortunately.
Old 06-06-2015, 19:45   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout_mice View Post
Oh is this the one at Waikiki yacht club? If so it won't work unfortunately.
This Hunter is listed with Kokua Yacht sales in Kapolei. Their ph. Is 808 256-5206. Brad is the broker listed in the ad. It is in yacht world. There is also a Rawson 30. Heavy, old and huge they are a good match for Hawaiian waters. The Yankee Dolphins 24' is tiny. Really fit the "pocket cruiser" moniker but not really a day sailor for Hawaii. I would check your sails as they aren't cheap to replace. Many people haven't sailed mid pacific where the salinity content is double. Necessitates rinsing your sails and they last about half as long in these latitudes. In my opinion a 24' is too small for day sailing in Hawaii with more than 2 people. A low freeboard boat is going to be very wet as well.
Old 06-06-2015, 20:42   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by duefocena View Post
This Hunter is listed with Kokua Yacht sales in Kapolei. Their ph. Is 808 256-5206. Brad is the broker listed in the ad. It is in yacht world. There is also a Rawson 30. Heavy, old and huge they are a good match for Hawaiian waters. The Yankee Dolphins 24' is tiny. Really fit the "pocket cruiser" moniker but not really a day sailor for Hawaii. I would check your sails as they aren't cheap to replace. Many people haven't sailed mid pacific where the salinity content is double. Necessitates rinsing your sails and they last about half as long in these latitudes. In my opinion a 24' is too small for day sailing in Hawaii with more than 2 people. A low freeboard boat is going to be very wet as well.

All very good info. Yes, we are very good friends with Brad. The Hunter is listed but not really available--co-owned by a couple and one won't let it go. Even Brad wants to buy it. We've been sailing a 20' out of Waikiki. I agree we'd want something at least 26' so we could have at least two friends over, for sure. Thank you so much for the info. Please let me know if you think of anything else. Thank all of you so much. This is all so helpful!
Old 07-06-2015, 02:30   #27

Boat: Columbia 8.7 (29')

I have a Columbia 87 (29). Have owned it for the last 30 years. Owned about 10 boats before I bought the Columbia. Haven't found a better boat in all that time. She is solid. The older boats of the 60-70s have high resin and thick fiber construction. Boats in the '80s and newer are lighter in construction and the hulls will flex and decks flex. On the Columbia the deck to hull fixed with adhesive and ss bolts about every 4 inches. Ports tend to leak but easy fix. My Columbia has a surprisingly good PHRF rating and so is fast in races. In your area I'd go with the fixed keel not swing. The swing keels are for shallow water and require a lot of maintenance to keep them from jamming with shell type critters and the keel hangers, cables or pins need annual fixes.
Walk on the deck barefoot and feel for soft areas (major fix), look at the backing plates of the through deck fittings. Washers are not sufficient. Look for water marks in the interior. How old are the through hulls and seacocks. Gate valve seacocks would need to be replaced right away. Are there two ss hose clamps on each hose. Can you reach the area to replace the packing in the packing gland. Electrical in good condition and properly wired?

For what you say you want to do the Columbia is the best of the four.
patn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:35   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
1968 Columbia 28 Sail boat (Sale or trade)
This would be better, but sale is pending

Pickings are slim in HI for a 28-footer, it seems.
Got an in with the owner of the Columbia and will see it tomorrow. I also really like the looks of the Catalina you found in Lahaina. I'll be in Maui in July, but it bet that Catalina won't last that long.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:37   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by patn44 View Post
Walk on the deck barefoot and feel for soft areas (major fix), look at the backing plates of the through deck fittings. Washers are not sufficient. Look for water marks in the interior. How old are the through hulls and seacocks. Gate valve seacocks would need to be replaced right away. Are there two ss hose clamps on each hose. Can you reach the area to replace the packing in the packing gland. Electrical in good condition and properly wired?

For what you say you want to do the Columbia is the best of the four.
Thank you!!
Old 07-06-2015, 07:10   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
I'm in Kona if you want me to look at anything over here for you.
Thank you so much Rover. Sailing from Kona is out of our league at this point but we have friends who might do it for us. If we find one on your island I will definitely hit you up for some help. Either way, let me know if you're around Honolulu and we'll buy you a beer or two

Tags
cal, columbia, newport