Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2015, 10:17   #1

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood
Columbia 29 mark 2 or H28 staysail ketch?

I 've looked through the threads and found that Brewer's list on the comfort level doesn't show either of these two. I currently own and sail the Columbia and am considering buying the H28 and then my wife and I will decide. I don't think I can talk the seller into sailing her because her running rigging needs inspection/replacement. The H is a 1966, same as Ola, the Columbia. What does anyone know about this H? Could not find the specs for this modification and she seems a little more tender upon boarding. She is an interesting build by Far East Yachts of Japan: 3/8 mahogany diagonal planking on oak, a layer of canvas in Resorsinol and finished with 3/8 mahogany longitudinal, bronze fastened. We regularly sail the California coast, last sail out in Ola, following winds to thirty, seas to 6. My wife not happy, me, not so much either. But Ola seemed unconcerned, in spite of two controlled jibe attempts that got away from me.
Opinions about the H's hull construction? Much of a difference between the comfort/sea ability?
My first sailboat was a 1958 Kingscruiser and I love wooden boats. Maybe even if they are "cold molded".
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 12:32   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Columbia 29 mark 2 or H28 staysail ketch?

If the H28 has been well maintained it will be a good sea boat. If the Columbia you already have is the full or 3/4 keel version then you won't have any advantage in sea keeping ability with the H28 and you will have performance to windward advantage with the Columbia. The Far East Yachts did a good job with their hulls. They did take some shortcuts with the plywood for cabin tops and sides on their Mariners and I'm not certain what they did for the H28. Check for soft ply. It was an issue for Far East.

I nearly bought an H28 in the early '80s which had gone through a total restoration. They sail well for a ketch.

If it were me I'd stick with the Columbia and reef early.
Old 16-09-2015, 13:07   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Columbia 29 mark 2 or H28 staysail ketch?

What? switch from a Columbia 29? But seriously, the H28 is kind of heavy and the weight is not down very low. I haven't sailed one but going off the specs:
H-28 (HERRESHOFF) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com I'd still say (even though I freely admit to being biased) the Columbia comes out ahead in performance and comfort. That is not to say the H28 is not a desirable boat. Many years ago a friend had one and loved it. They are beautiful little boats.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia, ketch, sail